Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

Palomino undercarriage problems

Hi:
I am new to RVs, RVing and the Forum. Looking for some past experience. I have a Palomino Puma 25BH. Its a 2013, purchased new. Its been up and down the Alcan Highway a couple of times. Really like the RV.
This past season, a leak showed up under the trailer. A local RV shop (Anchorage Alaska) took a look and said the grey water tank bottom extends below the bottom of the frame, and the rear axle had crushed and cracked it when it flexed on the leaf springs.
The shop mechanic said he thought the axles and springs were too light weight. He also thought the clearance between top of axle and bottom of tank was just too small (less than 2").
His suggestion was replace the axles and insert a lift kit of some kind. But, big $$.
I talked to dealer (in Washington), but his only thought was I had driven over too rough roads.
I called mfr, but received no response.
One thing I did notice is that the axles sit on the top surface of the leaf springs and are u-bolted on. Most trailers I looked at the axle is below the ;eaf springs and bear on the bottom surface of the leaf springs. If I reinstalled the axles in this fashion, I would gain about 3" of additional clearance.
Has anyone else had similar experience?
My questions are:
1. Does it sound correct that the bottom of the grey water tank would extend down below the trailer frame?
2. Are the axles and springs on the Puma noted to be light weight?
3. Any issues with reversing the mounting of the axles on the springs to gain some additional clearance?

Thanks for the help!
Steve in Homer Alaska
stevetheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

There are several places to research the axle flip they call it.
Etrailer.com is a good source for parts and info. You can get the axle size from the back of the axle and compare to trailer weight less hitch weight and decide if correctly sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

I wonder if someone flipped the axles to lower it.
Granted my puma and my current sabre are 5th wheels, but both have the springs over the axles.
I would flip them personally. Cheapest way to go and would probably solve your problems.
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino