Old 10-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
Love our 320RS........ season for us will be done after the first weekend in November.......
will be a long winter!!!
Same drill here. I read every Columbus thread on here I could find before I bought my 320RS. The first of this model in 2012 reported here were plagued with problems. One buy one they got repaired however. The 2013 320RS models are being reported back as much less problematic. Still a few things here and there but this is the norm for RVs. 320RS = rear sofa layout by the way..

Now we are hearing about owners of other model Columbus rigs - bunkhouse and rear living room units. Same drill is going on. The first owners of these models are reporting problems on this forum. Same repair results - one by one they get fixed.

What have I learned.......

#1 Wait till the new model has been out for awhile before you buy it. This is not new news guys. Same thing happens in cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. Factory can only do so much testing. It takes real world use by owners to find the bugs. I bought a $36K 2009 Indian Chief motorcycle. First year of the revival of this brand. I agreed to be a guniee pig and knew it going in. Yep warranty work a plenty but the dealer and factory took care of me.

#2 There is a VERY complete PDI list floating around on this forum. Fax or email this list to your dealer and tell them you will be spending the extra hours at delivery of your new RV to go over every item on this list as it applies to your new RV. Did I do this on my 320RS.....Nope. I learned about it afterwards. Fortunatly my dealer did a great job prepping and fixing things before I came in for the PDI - pre delivery inspection. If things fail on the PDI test, have dealer fix them before you close the sale of the deal. You are at the top of the warranty repair list if the sale does not close. Come back another day to close the sale!!!

#3 Go find a full hookup campsite close to your selling dealer. Do not do this on your dream vacation. Take that vacation later. This close to dealer trip is a shakedown event only. It's your challenge to find things that don't work and/or are wrong. You are close to the dealer so bringing it back to them for warranty work is easy. Things will be wrong and things will break. As long as you know this going in, your heart wont be broken when it happens on your overpriced brand new RV.

#4 After your RV has been tried and trued, then go on your dream vacation.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Same drill here. I read every Columbus thread on here I could find before I bought my 320RS. The first of this model in 2012 reported here were plagued with problems. One buy one they got repaired however. The 2013 320RS models are being reported back as much less problematic. Still a few things here and there but this is the norm for RVs. 320RS = rear sofa layout by the way..

Now we are hearing about owners of other model Columbus rigs - bunkhouse and rear living room units. Same drill is going on. The first owners of these models are reporting problems on this forum. Same repair results - one by one they get fixed.

What have I learned.......

#1 Wait till the new model has been out for awhile before you buy it. This is not new news guys. Same thing happens in cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. Factory can only do so much testing.
#2 There is a VERY complete PDI list floating around on this forum. Fax or email this list to your dealer and tell them you will be spending the extra hours at delivery of your new RV to go over every item on this list as it applies to your new RV. Did I do this on my 320RS.....Nope. I learned about it afterwards. Fortunatly my dealer did a great job prepping and fixing things before I came in for the PDI - pre delivery inspection. If things fail on the PDI test, have dealer fix them before you close the sale of the deal. You are at the top of the warranty repair list if the sale does not close. Come back another day to close the sale!!!

#3 Go find a full hookup campsite close to your selling dealer. Do not do this on your dream vacation. Take that vacation later. This close to dealer trip is a shakedown event only. It's your challenge to find things that don't work and/or are wrong. You are close to the dealer so bringing it back to them for warranty work is easy. Things will be wrong and things will break. As long as you know this going in, your heart wont be broken when it happens on your overpriced brand new RV.

#4 After your RV has been tried and trued, then go on your dream vacation.
Joelek, I agree completely. I never buy anything mechanical the first model year, as you say the factory can only do so much testing. I plan on making notes of all of the problems I have read, do a very thorough PDI, and camp at least two nights near the dealership when I pick it up. Even this will not bring out everything, but hopefully will help.

Most of what I have read has been very positive, and the negatives seem to have been handled in a timely fashion for the most part. You also have to hope you buy from a good dealer.

2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote