Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

Picking up today, Finally!

A little frustrating but we purchased our Palomino Sabre in June and picked it up the 18th of June. We took it to Kansas for our first trip and came back with a list of 20 things that needed fixed! Two of which I had to fix myself because they involved water leaks and I didn't want the water to destroy my new camper.
We dropped it off at the dealer and went over the list with them, and showed them everything that needed done expecting to be ready to camp again in a couple of weeks. They have had it now for 5 weeks!!!!
Well we are going down to pick it up today and check out what they did over the 5 weeks and if they got it right. Just afraid to see if they got it right or not..
Is this a normal time period to fix things on one of these? They kept blaming it on not being able to get parts but it shouldn't take that long to get the 3-4 parts they would have had to order right.
kirkwood721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Hard to say if it took to long or not being you did not mention items that needed to be fixed or replaced. Yes sometime the dealer will drag there feet on warranty work and use the excuse waiting on parts. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
Alleged curmudgeon

Sorry for your frustrations. Working out the bugs on a new rig can sometimes be a very frustrating experience. This time of year, parts can be slow coming, and dealer service departments are generally overrun with work, so it is hard to say whether the 5 week period is "normal", but it does not shock me. However, it is likely that they work itself required nothing near that amount of time. Be sure you review closely (at pickup) whether the work you requested appears to have been completed properly and, if not, push the dealer for immediate correction of anything that will keep you from enjoying the Sabre the remainder of the summer. If additional work is needed, but you can use it effectively now, you may want to take it, use it, and enjoy it. If you have to return it to the dealer for more (or different) work later, at the end of your camping season, then so be it. Ultimately, just remember that, once the bugs are worked out and the rig is performing properly, you will have much enjoyment with it. Hang in there, it will be worth it. Happy camping, and congrats on your new rig.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

I think you got off off easy. A 5 week turn around is great! I think you have found a fantastic dealer. Keep him and pump him with lots of cash. A good dealer is priceless.

This time of year you are looking at 3-4 months times. 5 months is not unusual.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
jkoenig24

Sadly, what you are experiencing is more the rule than the exception.

It HAS to cost the factory (and dealers) incredible amounts of money to fix glitches once a rid is out the door (as well as piss buyers off BIG time). Factories: can you hear us yet???? Step up your Quality Control and get it right the first time.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Well, just a little more frustration... They didn't fix 4-5 of the things on the list and the ones they did do were done wrong! One of their fixes even caused more damage because they used 3 screws that were too long and ended up protruding through the top of the seat they were under, putting holes in the wooden seat they were under. And they wired an exhaust fan backwards.... Not to mention muddy boot prints all over the inside of the camper and wire terminals and stripped wire coating laying on the floor!
Time to find a new place for service I guess...
Old 08-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
Alleged curmudgeon

Wow, sorry to hear that. Did you bring it home, or do they still have it?
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Old 08-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Same old story...

I had a similar situation with my brand new Sabre this past year. Your list of 20 items is the problem and unfortunately it is not unusual for this manufacturer. My camper had to go back to the factory and after talking to them for months, I learned that they were covered up with returned campers for warranty work. A total lack of quality control at the factory. It is not the dealers fault in my opinion.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
Alleged curmudgeon

Not so sure. I don't know how serious the 20 items are. However, most things are fixable, often without too much ado. Therefore, to me, it is just a punch list of "minor" matters until I hear differently. A service department should be able to fix a very high percentage of matters competently (returns to factory by no means normally required). Here, after 5 weeks the OP is called to come pick it up and his report does not sound like the factory screwed up in any dramatic manner to me. In this case, the dealership did not catch and/or correct factory mistakes pre-delivery, as they should, and the service department let the OP down again today. This is a dealership issue until they explain why it is not. I would limit all future conversations to direct conversation with the Service Manager at the dealership and/or the owner. Time to be direct and call the service what it is, substandard.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Perfect example of why I just fix stuff myself....which usually makes both me AND the dealer happier. (I think the dealers budget for guys like me....and usually get an extra vacation because of)

When I do it myself,
1. I am in control of the repair quality.
2. I learn more about my coach and its many parts
3. The more I understand, the better prepared I will be when something breaks and I'm stuck in a campground in %#£€¥&@. Egypt.
4. I am in control of the repair quality.

Having said that, I don't want it to sound like I consider myself a top notch rv technician. Quite the opposite, however I am fairly handy with mechanical and electrical stuff, and I can figure most things out in time. Even though I can fix most things, it will almost always take me ten times longer than someone that was trained in these systems however....see #1-4 above.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #11

We have had a TT and a 5er within the past 2 1/2 years . They both had some minor problems that when I called the dealer I was in the shop the next week and the repairs were made while I waited . I guess I have found the one in a million dealer that really cares bout the customer and return business .
Old 08-28-2015, 04:25 AM   #12

Well I did bring it home last weekend, and my DW has been in contact with the Sabre factory rep to find out another dealer we can take it to to get warranty work done. And yes most of the stuff on the list was minor things. couple of drain leaks, the black tank flush wasn't hooked up properly, and a couple other leaks. But definitely things that could be handled by the dealer if they cared to!
The hard part is going to be finding a dealer that will take us on as a service customer since they didn't sell us the coach. They don't have to do the warranty work for us if we didn't buy it there, at least that is how I understand it.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #13
jkoenig24

"They don't have to do the warranty work for us if we didn't buy it there, at least that is how I understand it."

I think you're mistaken. If a business has contracted with a manufacturer to provide warranty service, they have a contractual obligation to do just that. A dealer will take care of their own customers first but, if they give you a story that they refuse to provide warranty service simply because they did not sell a particular unit, they are probably in violation of the contract they signed. Contact the manufacturer. Ask them to "go to bat" for you. They can and should contact the business owner to remind him just what his obligations are.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
"They don't have to do the warranty work for us if we didn't buy it there, at least that is how I understand it."

I think you're mistaken. If a business has contracted with a manufacturer to provide warranty service, they have a contractual obligation to do just that. A dealer will take care of their own customers first but, if they give you a story that they refuse to provide warranty service simply because they did not sell a particular unit, they are probably in violation of the contract they signed. Contact the manufacturer. Ask them to "go to bat" for you. They can and should contact the business owner to remind him just what his obligations are.
Unfortunately you are mostly wrong about this. The dealers are in no way obligated to service your camper. I have spoken to the factory warranty rep (Gary) and he told me the same thing my local dealers have said. Forest River dealers are NOT required to do warranty work for anyone. They can if they want to but they don't have to. Most of the dealers I have talked to around here want nothing to do with my camper because they say warranty work doesn't pay enough so they only do it for their customers. Gary did give me the name of a few shops that are more likely to help me out and he did say if I didn't get anywhere with that he would see what he could do, but he was very clear that he could not force a dealer do my work under warranty.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
NewBee

Send a message via Skype™ to TheRamaraos
We have a list of things to get fixed on our Columbus. Dealer having issues returning our calls. You are lucky to have them actually fix things.
2015 Chevy 3500HD SRW Duramax with Alison
TheRamaraos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Unfortunately you are mostly wrong about this. The dealers are in no way obligated to service your camper. I have spoken to the factory warranty rep (Gary) and he told me the same thing my local dealers have said. Forest River dealers are NOT required to do warranty work for anyone. They can if they want to but they don't have to. Most of the dealers I have talked to around here want nothing to do with my camper because they say warranty work doesn't pay enough so they only do it for their customers. Gary did give me the name of a few shops that are more likely to help me out and he did say if I didn't get anywhere with that he would see what he could do, but he was very clear that he could not force a dealer do my work under warranty.
Unfortunately, you are correct. A dealer is not obligated to do ANY warranty work. They only do it at all because his local reputation would suffer irreparably were he to not. But you'll notice (examples on these pages) that many dealers will "agree" to do service, but then set a unit on the back of the lot for weeks....and weeks....and weeks. Hoping that the customer will just pick it up and go away. We know it doesn't take that long for a dealer to get a part from FR, or Dometic, or whoever. Shoot, I can get parts faster than some dealers say it takes them. That's just a sleazy way to dodge their responsibility. I'd prefer to just buy the camper with no warranty at all, since i'll wind up fixing it myself anyway. :::::::rant off:::::
Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Just supports my thinking on purchasing a new RV. Go for lowest price and don't factor in any local service / warranty work, or dealer warranty. We bought our TT to use not to sit on a dealers lot for months only to possibly be returned in worse shape than when it went in for service.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The Sabre division had a couple deplorable years. They have spun off the Sabre from Palamino now. I would contact the Factory and ask about getting things looked after. They do want to correct the problems, there is new management all around doing the turnaround on QC.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote