Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Plant Visit Today !!

I had the opportunity today to get a first hand look at the building of the Columbus fifth wheels. I was greeted by a very friendly young man and we talked a little while another went and got the rep, Jack. He gave me a little history on the birth or thoughts on building a unit like these that started a couple years ago. I got to see the various stages that each unit goes through from bringing the frame into the building to the final inspections before they are released to the dealer. I think I expected the plant to be bigger, but since they only build Columbus's there, I thought everything was well laid out. I went from station to station, and was neat to see how a piece of metal frame evolves into our home away from home. My 365 RL was going into production later today, and should be ready for my dealer to pick up next week. I highly recommend that if you have the time to take a tour like this you should. They do read these forums and listen to our concerns which I was very impressed with.Thanks again Jack for showing me around and answering my questions. Hope to see you at the Tampa show in January.

Bill Rost
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

Bill,

How bout some more information? What kind of flooring do they use (CSB in one piece sheets like Sabre or CDX plywood? How are the side walls laminated? (Would really like to see that)
What are their quality concerns and how to they manage quality in each cell? How long does it take in days to build one of these? How many do they build a day? a week?
Hopefully you saw my 320RL suppose to be shipping tomorrow!
As you can tell,,I'm an RV nerd of sorts!!!(I could come up with more questions,,sorry :-)
Dru
Dru R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

I did see a part of a wall being built, but I don't recall the exact materials being used. I was impressed to see that many of the male workers are Amish. They are known for their quality and craftsmanship. The plant completes about 9 units a day. From start to finish is about a 3 day process, so as one is just getting started, another is ready for delivery. When I pulled into the parking area there were around 30-40 completed units waiting to be picked up by the dealers. As a few leave, more are replaced and ready to also be picked up.
I understand that the columbus is the #1 seller in it's price range right now.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

WRROST.... Glad to here good comments about the Columbus products. I just spoke with Jack today regarding my 365RL and it's status. I ordered it October 1st. He said it was coming off line next week and ready for delivery, should be here in Florida the first week of November. Can't wait...... By the way Jack... Yes very nice and friendly, willing to answer any questions I had. Glad to see that you can talk to the salesperson from the factory about any questions or concerns. Thanks for your post.
opschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

opschief... just curious, where in Florida is yours being delivered to? Mine is going to a RV park in Palmetto, about 30 miles south of Tampa. Keep me informed of any issues that come up, and I'll do the same. I do feel better now that I talked to Jack and went to the plant. I feel that some of the issues from previous post have gotten their attention and been corrected like the AC problems from earlier builds. Take care, and maybe we'll meet in Florida.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #6

WRROST.... Mine is being delivered to Campers Inn dealership in Leesburg. We live on the East coast in Rockledge. We camp over in your area several times a year. Alfia River S.P. and Fort Desoto. Though we just bought our 5'ver we're still planning on going to the Tampa show in January, just like the last 4-5 years. Was planning on waiting for the show to buy , but couldn't pass up this deal. Stay in touch... opschief.
opschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #7

Where do we go to visit Forest River? Who do we contact?

ronald.saumure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald.saumure View Post
Where do we go to visit Forest River? Who do we contact?
Goshen Indiana will get you close.
Your dealer should be able to get you contact info for a factory tour.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote