Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Question Plastic strip under slideout edge where the carpet overlaps is off

Inside the camper where the carpet overlaps under the slide out has a 2 1/2 to 3 inch plastic strip. Today I put the slides out and heard an unfamiliar noises and when checking under the slide out the plastic strip was almost completely off. I pulled and knocked the rest of the strip until I got the whole thing off. Would have been damage when I brought the slide out in. The strip was only held by one screw on each end. The strip on the opposite slide out was just laying there so I picked it up! Can I use the slide out at least three times before taking to service? We have a trip planned in a few days. Will I cause any damage if I do use it? Thanks!!
thinkinghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

I had the same thing happen if I understand you right caught mine before it got too far and managed to get it back where it was supposed to be and reattached it. As to using it without, I don't know but the slide may rip the carpet up when it goes in. Mine covered the edge of the carpet and was just stapled in. I put it back and added more screws to the outside edge and heavier staples on the inside using an air stapler.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Plastic strip under slideout edge where the carpet overlaps is off

You have the right area in mind Both the ends are broken but wondered if we could drill holes between the large holes for the screws with plastic washers that stabilize the wood and put more screws to hold until we can get it back in. That slide is awfully heavy to sit on such unstable plastic, especially, since we have the same issue with both slide outs in the living area. The slide does ride over it and probably would make a mess of the carpet. Thank you for your reply!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #4

I just had the same thing happen to mine a few weeks ago before we left for Disney. My dealer said it would be fine for a trip but not the life of the trailer. I went ahead and used mine and when we got back I took it in for service. I just got the call yesterday that its fixed and ready for pickup.

see my post and pictures from when it happened to me.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bok-77595.html
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Plastic strip under slideout edge where the carpet overlaps is off

Thank you for your reply! I talked with the dealer this morning and he said, like you, it would be fine to use a few times. We're scheduled to take the camper in two weeks out for the repair. Bet I watch the strip often from now on! Just glad I saw it before I puled the slide in as it would have done some damage underneath where the wires, etc are located. Happy camping to you and yours!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Same thinh happened to mine. Seems to be a common problem.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

My dealer said mine was improperly installed at the factory. They just fixed mine and had to replace the linoleum flooring since it was scuffed up.

2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7
2007 F-350 Diesel FX-4
China Grove,NC
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #8

We have the same problem with both slides in our 2013 CKTS - caused a lot of problems as not put in correctly when originally replaced by the dealer's guy. Since had to have replaced again and looks okay so far.
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Traveling in rain. Two hours later at our destination when I opened the slides, I noticed the carpet was wet , both sides. The dealer wants to charge over $450 to do, what I think was shotty factory work. My warranty expired one year ago. FR says I should've used my warranty, but, the problem just showed up on this new 2013 320RS.
rvjoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #10

Mine has done the same thing several times. Keep an eye on them they will do it again. It's a bad design. To thin of a plastic piece for suck heavy slide out.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #11

We had the same water problem with our two main slides when travelling in the wet weather. It was found to be coming in from under the wheel areas at the front from the road spray. Had a couple more seals added
and hopefully that has solved the problem but yet to try it on wet roads.
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #12

Janice, just got back from a four day trip and only let the slide in and out once. To take the camper to the dealer this Tuesday and hope he can reinforce the entire setup. Checked my brother-in-law's Bristol Bay and the slide flooring is much more secure. Surprised this Sabre Silhouette, we only had a little over a year, hasn't had problems before now as it's chipboard flooring with a light weight plastic seal. The slides are very heavy and that plastic seal will not take the weight. Just hope they can upgrade to something that will be more stable. Thank you for your reply as I can see how the seals would allow water to enter the camper Happy camping and hope you are problem free!! Makes for much happier campers.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #13

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
I had the same thing happen if I understand you right caught mine before it got too far and managed to get it back where it was supposed to be and reattached it. As to using it without, I don't know but the slide may rip the carpet up when it goes in. Mine covered the edge of the carpet and was just stapled in. I put it back and added more screws to the outside edge and heavier staples on the inside using an air stapler.
Do you think we can use some double sided tape to reattach the plastic and rescrew it the best we can?
Michelle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out