Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorsAweigh View Post
You talked to one side and accepted it as fact? Could the truth be the dealer has dropped Columbus do to repeatedly being caught in the middle of issues like USCG is experiencing?
The multiple people I talked to verified Temecula, CA got their rights to sell Columbus pulled. Columbus brand is cleaning house right now. Dumping bad dealerships and opening up new ones. Again, I had a long talk with one of the Columbus reps (not a dealer) and he was kind enough to give me information I was seeking. Go to the RV shows and if a brand rep is there they will answer your questions. Naturally some things they can't tell you but he was open with me.

Now if you still don't believe me, go join the Columbus group on facebook and start asking questions. LOTS of bad experinces at a few different dealers. Most however are good and dang near every RV has issues that need repair during first year. Sure a small percent go back to factory for major repairs. The Sabre owners are really bitching up a storm on this forum right now about a string of bad Sabres going back at the moment.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
The multiple people I talked to verified Temecula, CA got their rights to sell Columbus pulled. Columbus brand is cleaning house right now. Dumping bad dealerships and opening up new ones. Again, I had a long talk with one of the Columbus reps (not a dealer) and he was kind enough to give me information I was seeking. Go to the RV shows and if a brand rep is there they will answer your questions. Naturally some things they can't tell you but he was open with me.

Now if you still don't believe me, go join the Columbus group on facebook and start asking questions. LOTS of bad experinces at a few different dealers. Most however are good and dang near every RV has issues that need repair during first year. Sure a small percent go back to factory for major repairs. The Sabre owners are really bitching up a storm on this forum right now about a string of bad Sabres going back at the moment.
You may want to take a look at this entire thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-54940.html
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #23
Oklahoma Proud

I heard from a dealer that the columbus trailers only have 1" sidewalls with 5/8" aluminum studs. Most others, including sabres have 2"walls and I believe 1.5" studs. I was told that there, is where some of the issues are stemming from. And I've heard from a couple of dealers, that they were less than empressed with them, and one advised against the 385bh from too many issues.

I havent noticed the wall thickness myself on the columbus, just relaying what I was told this past week.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I heard from a dealer that the columbus trailers only have 1" sidewalls with 5/8" aluminum studs. Most others, including sabres have 2"walls and I believe 1.5" studs. I was told that there, is where some of the issues are stemming from. And I've heard from a couple of dealers, that they were less than empressed with them, and one advised against the 385bh from too many issues.

I havent noticed the wall thickness myself on the columbus, just relaying what I was told this past week.
I would also test out the slide floors(dinning slide)...very spongy and bounces. I had my 320RS in for that issue and was told it was fine. My dealer said, "the length of the slide does not allow for proper support, your not supposed to walk on them anyhow". I have never heard or seen that issue on any other fifth wheel.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #25
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
I would also test out the slide floors(dinning slide)...very spongy and bounces. Had my 320RS in for that issue and was told it fine. My dealer said, "the length of the slide did not all or proper support, your not supposed to walk on them anyhow". I have never heard or seen that issue on any other fifth wheel.
I agree havent heard the slide issue like that on others.
But the columbus' sure do look pretty!!!
No, we steered away from columbus, and ordered a sabre 36qbok last week. Hope we have good success with it.
We have looked at almost every brand of large bunkhouse 5ers out there. Seems accross the board that one of the biggest problem with any brand is the swinteck slides, if they use them.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #26
Always Learning

With the slides that end up being flush with the floor when you're extended, it is true that they aren't supported when they're in and yes, they're going to have some give. I posted a message last year with SabreSam and he confirmed that for longevity of the slide floor, I should not walk on it while it is in.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
With the slides that end up being flush with the floor when you're extended, it is true that they aren't supported when they're in and yes, they're going to have some give. I posted a message last year with SabreSam and he confirmed that for longevity of the slide floor, I should not walk on it while it is in.
Not walking on the slide floor makes sense and for the most part, it is impossible to walk on the floor of the dinning slide of the Columbus. You have the dining table & chairs, next to that you have the dual theater seating that takes up the rest of the slide. The real issue is how soft that slide floor is. Even repositioning yourself while sitting at a dining room chair or on a theater seat, will often cause the floor to bounce. After getting that response from the dealer, I tested the slides of like size fifth wheels, never finding any of them to be as bouncy as my Columbus.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Not walking on the slide floor makes sense and for the most part, it is impossible to walk on the floor of the dinning slide of the Columbus. You have the dining table & chairs, next to that you have the dual theater seating that takes up the rest of the slide. The real issue is how soft that slide floor is. Even repositioning yourself while sitting at a dining room chair or on a theater seat, will often cause the floor to bounce. After getting that response from the dealer, I tested the slides of like size fifth wheels, never finding any of them to be as bouncy as my Columbus.

I didn't realize that was while the slide was fully extended. You're right- that doesn't sound right.