Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Portable Air Conditioner

I am thinking of buying a portable a/c for the bedroom in my FW. Should be easy enough to vent it out the window and would only need a small one say 5000btu. They use approx 500 watts. Anyone have any experience with these?
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250
iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31 View Post
I am thinking of buying a portable a/c for the bedroom in my FW. Should be easy enough to vent it out the window and would only need a small one say 5000btu. They use approx 500 watts. Anyone have any experience with these?
We have one in our cabin.
Works nice.
Your challenge will be venting it out the window.
Good luck!
Pics are mandatory!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

I've got a buddy that has one in his travel trailer. Does like your saying and vents it out a window. Biggest pain is storing it during travel and dealing with a plywood window insert. But easier than adding a 2nd AC I guess.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

I bought one. It's an 8k portable and I run in the in living room during the heat of the day. I vented it out the window. I also ran a drop cord out that I usually plug into the 20 A outlet. Since then I re-taped all my main AC outlet ductwork. That should help some too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9162175.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	38019   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9162180.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	38020  
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

We used one in our tent, always. Worked great in summer time here in Central Florida. When our friends come camping with us, I have to bring it all the time. Lol

The only problem is some use two hoses, one big to vent the hot air and one small for the water, Some units have an tank-less evaporative system or internal condensation and use just one hose for the heat. Some models and brands have as an accessory a large reservoir that mounts on the back to help with this problem. I know that for most the small internal tank is too small if there is higher humidity.
But that drain is intended to be run to a drain, not a bucket. The problem is that it prevents the internal tank from filling and shutting off the overfill safety. That means if you happen to forget about it the bucket can overfill then you have water all over the floor.
If possible you want that drain line to go to a drain, outside the camper, or maybe a sink. It has the potential of making a mess, causing a leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1594.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	38032  
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Nice job Martyl. Was it just a question of trimming out that plastic panel to get it to fit the rounded window? Is that the panel that came with the unit? How did you route the power cord out to the pedestal?

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
Nice job Martyl. Was it just a question of trimming out that plastic panel to get it to fit the rounded window? Is that the panel that came with the unit? How did you route the power cord out to the pedestal?
The plastic panel is used in the straight part of the window. I used a piece of melamine in the rounded part of the window. I cut a hole for the drain tube and a slot for the power cord in the lower melamine part.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Columbus 302 rs

When we heard about the problems last year with the bedroom A/C and noise plus not wanting to lie under a cold vent we bought a portable unit for the bedroom.
It's an LG unit and doesn't require a hose for water only air venting through window.
I bought a piece of clear lexan and cut it to match the window screen. It attaches with thumb screws and has weather sealing around edges. We can close window without removing the lexan when the a/c isn't running. We've found it to be super quiet but at night we can even turn it off and vent the living room a/c to the bedroom and have a perfect world. The only downside is that it does take up floor space in front of the washer-dryer compartment but is easily rolled out of the way. The lexan is so clear you can't see it and very strong.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
When we heard about the problems last year with the bedroom A/C and noise plus not wanting to lie under a cold vent we bought a portable unit for the bedroom.
It's an LC unit and doesn't require a hose for water only air venting through window.
I bought a piece of clear lexan and cut it to match the window screen. It attaches with thumb screws and has weather sealing around edges. We can close window without removing the lexan when the a/c isn't running. We've found it to be super quiet but at night we can even turn it off and vent the living room a/c to the bedroom and have a perfect world. The only downside is that it does take up floor space in front of the washer-dryer compartment but is easily rolled out of the way. The lexan is so clear you can't see it and very strong.
Any pics?

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #10

I picked up a 9000BTU unit and does it ever make a difference. The other day it was 34 degrees celsius outside and my unit stayed a consistent 23 degrees inside. Outside the fact that it is kinda bulky it is well worth it.
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250
iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner