Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Puma 295BHSS

Howdy All. New to the forum, but not new to forums, camping or travel trailers.

We are about to pull the trigger on a Puma 295BHSS. We will be towing with a 2013 F150 Supercrew 2wd, MaxTow and HD payload. The Payload capacity as listed by the manufacturer is 2424 lbs. We have added some steps and a cover, so I am guessing it is closer to 2200lbs. Subtract the hitch weight, the rail weight and the people and gear weight, I am guessing we will be closer to 1400-1500lbs.

So, with an advertised pin weight of just over 1073 lbs @ a curb weight of ~7900, what can I expect for the real world pin weight? I know the trailer will weigh about 8500 lbs from the factory with the options we ordered. Add the battery and two propane bottles, our ~500lbs of gear (that may be a bit light) and some water in the tanks, I am guesstimating the trailer will be close to 9200-9500 lbs. Now traditionally, the pinweight would be close to 1800 lbs, but this trailer is definitely light on the pin. That said, I still want to make sure are within the ratings for the truck. Do you think the 1500lbs of additional weight (as compared to the advertised empty weight) will transfer over 400 lbs to the pin weight? I know it will be close, but I guess I am looking from advice from those experienced with fifth wheels, as my experience has been all ball hitch trailers up to this point.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

We had a 2013 295kbh (later in the year they changed it to 295bhss whitch they already had-but without the outside kitchen, and then you just optioned the kitchen on the 295bhss)
We pulled it with an '05 chevy 2500hd with the duramax diesel. It was definitely an easy pull around town , but cruising down the interstate you could defanently tell it was there, and pulling hills too. I dont have an actual weight, but I thought it pulled better with the front storage full and the cabinets under the living tv full (we usually had several cases of water, pop, gatorade and such in there). It squatted my truck about 2 inches or so, but I have custom spring packs.
I would think this trailer ( actual length from hitch to spare is right about 34') would be a bit much for a half ton truck. But I hate the "coon huntin' " look (headlights in the trees). And I would think that you will have the gas petal on the floor or be on it pretty hard, if you encounter any hills.
Just an fyi--
Untill we bought our puma , all I had pulled was heavy equipment, and hay/ farm suppies and equipment. To me pulling that fifthwheel was more of a strain on the truck than pulling my 7,000lb gooseneck with a 8-9,000 lb tractor on it. It just catches so much wind.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Oh btw I hooked up to a 1920lb hitch weight sabre up on a dealers lot and it dropped the truck maybe an inch ( or pretty close to an inch) more than the Puma did when loaded.

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The truck will definitely know it back there. But power is not my concern, the EcoBoost really shines when you put a load on it. My concern is overloading the rear axle. Even though my 1/2 ton is not a traditional 1/2 ton. It is what used to be called a 3/4 ton. Of course now all the 3/4 tons are heavy duty or super duty, they don't have the std duty 3/4 tons anymore. Ford decided to start calling what I have a heavy 1/2 ton, and equipped it with a bigger rear axle, heavier duty springs, 7 lug wheels, 3/4 ton truck tires, etc... I will be curious to see the suspension drop when I load the trailer. I put 2000 lbs of gravel in it, and it only dropped ~2.5 inches. That essentially got her leveled out. I am hoping the trailer does not weigh that much though. I am thinking the pin weight will be around 1450lbs, but I would love to hear from somebody that was able to check.

As far as towing travel trailers, that big wall makes a huge difference when towing. I have towed a 6000 lb boat/trailer combo with an older Dakota and it towed easier than my previous 6000 lb travel trailer with my my F150 or the Tundra I had before. Part of that was the 300 lb difference in tongue weight, but the big part was the aerodynamics.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Well I know that the trucks are rated to pull the weight, but they dont rate them at camper weight, more at dead weight on a flatbed car hauler- with little to no wind resistance. And yes I know trucks, worked most of my life at Gm dealers and now at another auto group with lots of fords. And have had dozens of gas trucks and a Powerstroke, and d-maxs. Actually have an Ecoboost im working on in my stall right now.
But look on here some more, most end up geting new tow vehicles shortly after getting bigger trailers.

On another note, pumas are great trailers, we loved ours even though we only had it about a year. Very, very minor issues and some of that is because im picky.
Good luck!

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!

Tags
295, puma