Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Puma 5th wheel upgrade to standard front landing gear

We purchased a 2014 Puma 295BHSS and so far we are really happy with the purchase. One issue that I have with the fifth wheel is the horribly slow front landing gear. I was curious if anyone has done an upgrade to the front landing gear to make it quicker to take up and down. I was wondering if there where option to convert it to dual motor, put on a different motor that was stronger than the standard one, etc.

I have looked at the option to switch to hydraulic legs but not sure the wife will let me spend that much since we just bought the camper in May.

Curious what others might have done.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins SRW with
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Boetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

I just dont run the legs up all the way. I usually leave them down 6"or so from the frame. Just drop the legs and then run it up and down with the motor.
If it makes u feel any better my '15 sabre is the same on jack speed as my '13 puma 295 was.
And in my opinion the electric is much less problematic (and cheaper to fix) than the hydraulic systems, just look on here about all the hose and cavitation noise issues. But electric is a little slower.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Relax and enjoy life. Don't be in a hurry. The slow jacks give you time to think about whether you lifted the rear tabs, etc.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #4

Try installing Intelli Jacks, with that you can push a button to "disconnect" and the jacks will extend to where you can disconnect from the truck and you don't have to stand there and hold a button, you can get wood or whatever to put under jacks or do some other chore. Once disconnected you can hit level and again leave it to do other stuff. To connect to truck you push connect and it takes it to the "disconnect" position while you do something else. Once connected hit retract and the jacks retract on there own to a preset position as you do other things. About $250 and easy to install. It doesn't speed up jacks but allows you to be productive doing other necessary tasks while it is doing its thing.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #5

Thank you all for the replies, I will take a look at the intelli jacks options or just plan on leaving the stock ones on it.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #6

I have the same trailer, and yeah they are slow. But, know that everyone else with electric jacks is dealing with the same issue. You should only run them out 6-8 inches in most cases (unless you have a really downhill running site) and then just drop the extensions legs.

My wife's uncle's cousin (LOL, but true) is one of the primary RV slide and jack design engineers. He holds/held most of the patents for slide outs on trailers for a long time. Anyway, we asked him about why they can't put it a 2 speed jack, 1 low torque/high speed for take up and drop down and and 1 high torque/low speed for actual trailer lifting, etc... Apparently three or four manufacturers tried this in the 80s, and invariably people would use the high speed all the time and burn up motors or strip gears constantly. Thus everyone stayed with the single speed, slow/high torque version that is in use today.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There's a reason there slow.
The gear reduction is easier on parts.

If your in a hurry camping isn't for you [emoji12] or the fifth wheel. [emoji482]
Have fun.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Our front legs, installed by Lippert on Lippert frame were the wrong legs and motors. It was pretty fast but at a cost - the control unit quit but just before that happened, the legs would stop before grounding, they would come down just a little, they would chatter. Then, in the middle of OR they quit. Called Lippert tech assist and while they were walking me through trouble shooting the "magic smoke" escaped from the control unit. I was able to quickly remove the negative terminal from the batts but way to late too prevent the burning of relays, etc. No further damage to system. So - the 5th stayed on the truck for the next 3 1/2 weeks until we arrived in Goshen, then a trip to Lippert to have them tackle the problem. Statement from repair tech was (and I have it written) "Landing legs and motors are wrong sized. Need heavier sized unit. Replacement recommended." With that, they replaced the front legs, gears, motors and the failed controller, all at no sdditional cost. Now it is MUCH slower in action but also much more positive in movement. So, faster is not really better. Slower now means I can get water, power, etc. hooked up and completed just as the auto level finishes. Now I really like the system.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

The only reason that I would want faster landing gear is because I can think of a thousand other things that I could be doing that was more fun than holding a button down. The Intellijacks option looks good but I was curious if anyone has any experience with them of not always being on a flat campsite. I saw a few other posts on FRF and some still say they do good but not a whole lot out there.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boetim View Post
The only reason that I would want faster landing gear is because I can think of a thousand other things that I could be doing that was more fun than holding a button down. The Intellijacks option looks good but I was curious if anyone has any experience with them of not always being on a flat campsite. I saw a few other posts on FRF and some still say they do good but not a whole lot out there.

You still have to Un-pin your landing gear and drop them so they contact evenly. As well as having the camper level to begin with.

I was going to purchase this at one time but the price didn't out way the minute it takes me to hold the button.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #11

I have & use the Intelli jacks and after you set up disconnect & level on a flat level surface that is stored in a memory so if you are on an unlevel site it makes the unit level based on the setup originally. Have had know problem with them at all. Check out their website RV Leveling Systems for a 5th Wheel RV Trailer or Hitch | IntelliJacks (formerly LevelEase) and read all about them & you will see how simple the concept & execution is. They allow you to do some of the other various tasks that are necessary to set up or break camp while the jacks are doing the selected tasks.
As for TURBS comment, I never unpin the landing gear to get them close to contact as I now push & release a button and the extend and once one contacts they will adjust until both contact and have equal pressure.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusN View Post
As for TURBS comment, I never unpin the landing gear to get them close to contact as I now push & release a button and the extend and once one contacts they will adjust until both contact and have equal pressure.
Yeah I don't think so.

Here's the problem
Both Jacks do not operate separately so there's no way for the fronts to "self level"

The rear electric Jacks yes.

If one jack hits two inches before the other it lifts that side of the trailer and pushes the other side down, thus putting your frame in a bind
You do how you see fit but I don't think it's right.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

X2 on how turbs does it.

On my new Sabre, I have a remote so I can do other stuff or have the DW or the kids run the switch.
I even the legs when i drop my legs using pins or boards if needed.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #14

I am happy to hold that button. I am to lazy crank something. I am just glad they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #15

I always run the landing gear out some, unpin and lower the bottom section of the landing gear to make sure the frame doesn't bind up. I am a stickler to the camper being level because I can tell if it isn't when I am in the camper. I am still trying to find the "happy" spot for how much of the landing gear to run out while minimizing the camper sway in the front and I know that could be an issue with the intellijacks. I am thinking about getting the BAL landing gear stabilizers to put on the front because I don't really want to have to carry a kingpin stabilizer around and I use the Andersen Ultimate to tow the fifth wheel which uses the adapter on the kingpin.

I am beginning to think that the button isn't so bad anymore and I think it will just become a job for one of the kiddos to stand there and hold the button - unless it is pouring rain then that is when hooking up a fifth wheel is nice to be able to stand under the pushover and hold that button down.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 08-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Yeah I don't think so.

Here's the problem
Both Jacks do not operate separately so there's no way for the fronts to "self level"

The rear electric Jacks yes.

If one jack hits two inches before the other it lifts that side of the trailer and pushes the other side down, thus putting your frame in a bind
You do how you see fit but I don't think it's right.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

I think the only way it would work is if you were to have a dual motor landing gear? Then it would work as he says. I'm looking into this add-on as it would help a lot. My driveway is sloped enough that I spend 3-4 minutes each way holding a button...not the end of the world at all, but if I could just press one button and walk away to hook up power etc, that would be great! Interesting thing I just read is that intellijacks is having a spat with crossroads(or whomever they are standard on) and may not be in business much longer? When I went to their site, and hit the buy it now button, it just goes back to their home screen. Interesting mod to consider though.

Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I think the only way it would work is if you were to have a dual motor landing gear? Then it would work as he says. I'm looking into this add-on as it would help a lot. My driveway is sloped enough that I spend 3-4 minutes each way holding a button...not the end of the world at all, but if I could just press one button and walk away to hook up power etc, that would be great! Interesting thing I just read is that intellijacks is having a spat with crossroads(or whomever they are standard on) and may not be in business much longer? When I went to their site, and hit the buy it now button, it just goes back to their home screen. Interesting mod to consider though.

Joel
Problem is then you'd need "two" switches lol one for each motor.

Only "true" way to do this would for it to be hydraulic landing gear
One motor
One pump
One switch

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #18

Only "true" way to do this would for it to be hydraulic landing gear
One motor
One pump
One switch

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"[/QUOTE]

I get ya, but according to their website, they have two inputs on their controller, and by adding the dual switch(which I don't think get's usedunless you back to a single motor) it runs both down and levels them at the same time? Not really sure how it works but would be interested to see it in action. I have one motor so would still need to make sure the legs are dropped first to close to the same height from the ground.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Then all you would need is another left side jack and motor and install it on the right and remove the cross tube.

Unless a motor can be mounted on the right side jack. "Slave" side.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Tags
5th wheel, puma, upgrade, wheel