Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Question Puma Radio and TV reception

Anyone else experiencing any problems getting radio and HDTV reception? Seems like all we get is static on the radio and snow on the TV (or frozen pictures). I guess I can understand some weak signals for the TV depending on distance from the signal etc. but the radio should still work in remote areas. I mean if I can pick up a station on the truck radio, then I should be able to tune that same station in on my TT stereo shouldn't I?
Is there an antenna upgrade, or booster of some kind that anyone knows of that will work on the Puma travel trailers? I have a 31KBHSS, with the all in one DVD/CD player. DVD's and CD's play perfectly over the system by the way.

Appreciate any ideas of things to try for better reception.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

When you are watching TV and using the antenna, did you press the black button next to the coax connection? This is the amplifier power for the antenna and it has to be on to get a good signal.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikNik View Post
...the radio should still work in remote areas. I mean if I can pick up a station on the truck radio, then I should be able to tune that same station in on my TT stereo shouldn't I?
The receivers in cars/trucks are of a much superior quality than any RV receiver I've ever had. To get the same quality you'll likely have to replace the one in your RV with something that costs a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikNik View Post
Is there an antenna upgrade, or booster of some kind that anyone knows of ...
I purchased this Winegard Direct.com - Winegard BF-8809 FM Car Radio Amplifier (BF-8809) | Winegard [BF-8809] BF-8809 FM Amp BF8809 BF 8809 and it did help some. It is a booster for the radio similar to the booster you probably already have for the TV. Also, some inexpensive choke filters from Radio Shack can be added to the input from the radio antenna. (I put these chokes on my TV inputs too, just make sure to get the right size for the coax being used.)

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #4

Thank You very much for the information. I'm going to give this a try.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

tv reception

i live some 60 miles north of Southfield Michigan and Detroit Mi (where TV stations are located ) and get great picture quality when the antenna is UP and the booster is ON.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
i live some 60 miles north of Southfield Michigan and Detroit Mi (where TV stations are located ) and get great picture quality when the antenna is UP and the booster is ON.
Yeah, I am picking up channels from about 75 miles away in Richmond, VA., and there is a small mountain in the way.

I don't have an easy explanation on why some antennas work good, and some don't.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Mike,

Here is the manual on your TV amplifier. Digital TV is HIGHLY directional and you will need the exact location of the broadcast towers and point the Batwing correctly AT the towers. The further away, the smaller the acceptable heading error. Without the Winegard Wingman your Digital reception is about 10 miles provided the white plastic amp head is pointed to the towers. With the Wingman, point the elements at the tower and your range will be boosted to 35-50 miles. Use www.antennaweb.org or other antenna pointing site to get your bearings.

Winegard Wingman UHF Antenna Booster

This is a thread that discusses your issue in detail.

As to the radio, there is also a thread that a member basically found the radio antenna plug on the rear Concertone connector, just "pushed in without the end on the lead from the roof" The fix was to buy the male antenna connector at Radio Shack and attach it to the down lead from the roof radio antenna (the one with the springy base). Perhaps this is your problem as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 49 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, palomino, puma, tv reception