Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Quality of 5th wheels

I bought a 2013 Sabre 5er two years ago. My question to many of you long time rv'ers is. Where would you rate the quality, and the overall cost, ( bang for your bucks ), of the Sabre 5th wheels? I am starting my 3rd season with mine, and have had just a few minor fixes done by the dealer. And I am generally pleased with my Sabre.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forest River Forums mobile app

Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #2

Haven't had a Sabre, but have had a Puma by Palomino and have another ordered. Obviously we liked ours and thought it was a good buy. In-laws have a 2012 Puma also that they've had good luck with.

dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Love my sabre.
Few hiccups here and there but I'll definitely buy another sabre especially at the price point from www.Cheyennecampingcenter.com

Value leaders.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

Only a few hiccups on ours too. A day/night shade string broke (have since learned to restring them) replaced by dealer. Kitchen faucet handle set screw stripped, replaced by dealer. Water pump replaced by ShurFlo. I would definitely consider another one when the time comes.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

I think you guys might be missing the OP's question- it's not about how has your Sabre treated you. I think it's about, in the ranking of quality across brands- where does Sabre fall from bad to good to great from a quality perspective?

I honestly don't have any idea.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think you guys might be missing the OP's question- it's not about how has your Sabre treated you. I think it's about, in the ranking of quality across brands- where does Sabre fall from bad to good to great from a quality perspective?

Don't think anyone can answer that question unbiased as you would have needed to own many different brands to give an accurate answer to the OP's question...

Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

I would say upper mid level. With the higher end being DRV, Lifestyles, Excel, Nuwa, Carriage and such.
I think that they are on the same level as Montana, and close to, but not quite as high as cedar creek, cardinal and others. But alittle more finess than the Heritage Glens and Sandpiper/Seirra.
We have looked at DOZENS of 5ers the past 8-9 months.
Just my $.02, not trying to ruffle any feathers

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

I can agree with mid level, plus a little. Definitely not entry level, definitely not high end. They were on our short list, but I wanted the hung walls opposed to laminated, and I was more familiar with CC's track record. CC tended to mock Mobile Scout's design (the Titan models from mid 2000's) to some degree, which still remains my favorite manufacturer, even though they sold to Winnebago and don't exist any more.

Like all brands, some are relatively trouble free, some have their issues as we've all read about. You roll the dice on any make or model. I hope Sabre will continue to improve, and not go on the cheap in the future. They seam to be a great fifth wheel for the price range they're in.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

That's exactly what I was looking for. Wanted to know where the Sabre is compared with makes and models of other 5ers, buy people who have experienced other units.

Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan1957 View Post
I bought a 2013 Sabre 5er two years ago. My question to many of you long time rv'ers is. Where would you rate the quality, and the overall cost, ( bang for your bucks ), of the Sabre 5th wheels? I am starting my 3rd season with mine, and have had just a few minor fixes done by the dealer. And I am generally pleased with my Sabre.

Tough question, but rather than get into a contest, I prefer to rate them by their standard features, options and more importantly, the quality of the components. My list does not include Toy Haulers….

High-end

DRV the very best money can buy
Redwood
Lifestyles
Forest River does not manufacture a high-end line
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper mid-level
(Trilogy, Cardinal, Cedar Creek no real differences between them)
Montana
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then many, many Mid-levels
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #11

I too would say mid to high mid level finish. I am a 'researcher' and beat things to death before I buy. I found that value propostion on Sabre is good and/or better than many similar level units.
I think they provide very nice finish and INCLUDE features many others have as options in simialr price range. 6 side aluminum vs 4 side etc.
Design group does a good job on interiors for this line, I feel...

Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, quality, wheel