Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Rmk2001800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stockton
Posts: 142
Rear hitch columbus

Has anyone added a hitch to pull their boat or small trailer behind their columbus?? Is of can you post picture of how you mounted the additional hitch.

Mike
__________________

__________________
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
TTNewbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 440
I think what you may hear are 2 things, possibly 3. And they usually go something like this:

1.) you can't add a hitch to the rear cause it will void warranty.
2.) the max triple tow length is 65-70 ft, depending where you go. Your truck is over 20ft, your trailer about 40. Are you towing a 5 foot boat?
3.) you might be pushing the weight limits of your truck.

I don't have any answers to your question but these have been responses on this subject over the last few years on this type ?. I on the other hand will be watching this thread cause I too plan to get a 5er this year and want to tow my 12 ft trailer with Atv behind it, but don't believe it's doable safely and legally length wise.
__________________

__________________
Mike
2012 Lacrosse 303RK
2012 F250 6.7 diesel
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rmk2001800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stockton
Posts: 142
I just need to get my golf cart to the campground, it's only 15 miles and no need for second trip. With my travel trailer I used the 1" hitch on the rear to double up.

Different story if was traveling cross country...
__________________
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
I think what you may hear are 2 things, possibly 3. And they usually go something like this:

1.) you can't add a hitch to the rear cause it will void warranty.
2.) the max triple tow length is 65-70 ft, depending where you go. Your truck is over 20ft, your trailer about 40. Are you towing a 5 foot boat?
3.) you might be pushing the weight limits of your truck.

I don't have any answers to your question but these have been responses on this subject over the last few years on this type ?. I on the other hand will be watching this thread cause I too plan to get a 5er this year and want to tow my 12 ft trailer with Atv behind it, but don't believe it's doable safely and legally length wise.

Good points all! Remember tho, 4' of the TV is under the camper and 4' of camper is over the TV (give or take, folks ) effectively reducing the rig total length by 8'. Add that 5' in and you will have a 4'X12' trailer attached to the back of your 5th!
__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TTNewbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Good points all! Remember tho, 4' of the TV is under the camper and 4' of camper is over the TV (give or take, folks ) effectively reducing the rig total length by 8'. Add that 5' in and you will have a 4'X12' trailer attached to the back of your 5th!
Good point, that's why I said I will watch this thread. Just need someone to address the hitch part...
__________________
Mike
2012 Lacrosse 303RK
2012 F250 6.7 diesel
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Don't forget the inevitable discussion about how it's unsafe. And there will be the joke/comment of "good luck backing it all up".

Doesn't help the how question, though.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 107
Columbus is a Sabre in wolves clothing with a higher price tag as it's blinged up a bit more. Ask about the frame hitch experience and how to do it in other brands besides Columbus as you know it can be done and somebody has already done it. I'm sure there is chat about it all over the internet. Check other forums and the Columbus group on Facebook.

Regarding the statement factory warranty is dead if you add a frame hitch, if your microwave dies, it isn't because you added a frame hitch to the rear of your RV. Read up on the federal law Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and how it relates to aftermarket additions to your RV. Adding a frame hitch may cause a failed Lippert RV frame. But it wont kill the microwave. Saying adding a frame hitch voids all the warranty on your RV is just plain false.
__________________
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
TTNewbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
Columbus is a Sabre in wolves clothing with a higher price tag as it's blinged up a bit more. Ask about the frame hitch experience and how to do it in other brands besides Columbus as you know it can be done and somebody has already done it. I'm sure there is chat about it all over the internet. Check other forums and the Columbus group on Facebook. Regarding the statement factory warranty is dead if you add a frame hitch, if your microwave dies, it isn't because you added a frame hitch to the rear of your RV. Read up on the federal law Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and how it relates to aftermarket additions to your RV. Adding a frame hitch may cause a failed Lippert RV frame. But it wont kill the microwave. Saying adding a frame hitch voids all the warranty on your RV is just plain false.
Your right "frame" warranty. Unfortunately, when your frame is bent there won't be much use for a microwave.

I have sabre on my "short" list that I will be looking at glad to know I can add without issue thanks SS!
__________________
Mike
2012 Lacrosse 303RK
2012 F250 6.7 diesel
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Pirates55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: China Grove, NC
Posts: 297
In North Carolina it illegal to tow another trailer behind a fifth wheel. You can some how get by with the tow dollies like in the link below that folks use to haul golf carts but trailers will get you a ticket supposedly her in NC. I've never done it but that's what they say is the law.

Blue Oxģ SC2102 - Universal Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier
__________________
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 107
Qualify your dealer 1st. Find one that is experienced with installing frame rear hitch. Doesn't have to be Sabre dealer. Just shop around and learn. You may buy a Sabre at one dealer, and get it fixed and aftermarket goodies at another dealer. Happens all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
Your right "frame" warranty. Unfortunately, when your frame is bent there won't be much use for a microwave.

I have sabre on my "short" list that I will be looking at glad to know I can add without issue thanks SS!
__________________

__________________
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
columbus, hitch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.