Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #21
Always Learning

Makes sense- I'm curious as to why the actual instructions for JT's say to install this way if it's less effective. (shrugs)
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Makes sense- I'm curious as to why the actual instructions for JT's say to install this way if it's less effective. (shrugs)
They probably never tested it, and just assumed it would work.
I am sure it looked good on paper, and they may have been designed for scissor jacks, where that configuration would make sense.
Rather than make a special set for our campers, they just sell you what they have, hoping no one notices!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #23

stabilizers

those stabilizers going down to the rear legs on the electric legs for the rear are the custom made or strong arms bought ? I just got my 36 qbok yester day, got strong arms on front, option. never was offered any for rear?
bcurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcurvey View Post
those stabilizers going down to the rear legs on the electric legs for the rear are the custom made or strong arms bought ? I just got my 36 qbok yester day, got strong arms on front, option. never was offered any for rear?
The ones from my post are from a 36qbok and were installed by the dealer if I understand correctly. That said- I did have one dealer tell me that one of the stabilizer makers didn't recommend them to be used with electric stabilizer jacks. (shrugs)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #25

I like the idea of coming back from the frame to jack it seems like it would really help firm it up
bcurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #26

Quote:
The ones from my post are from a 36qbok and were installed by the dealer if I understand correctly. That said- I did have one dealer tell me that one of the stabilizer makers didn't recommend them to be used with electric stabilizer jacks. (shrugs)
Hmmm.......but they recommend them on the front landing gear, which are also electric?

The only issue I can see is that someone will always forget to loosen the locks on the stabilizer bars before retracting the jacks, and something would have to give. As cheap as the drives are for both the front landing gear, and the rear jacks, it is them that would probably break.
So those of us who use the stabilizer bars, always, and I mean ALWAYS have to check to make sure we loosen those locks before ever touching a switch!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Always Learning

One, I never confirmed or checked further. It was only 1 dealer out of about 5 who said something.

The front landing gear on fifth wheels are a different design entirely.

And, sadly- I can tell you what happened to me when I raised the front landing gear without loosening the t-holds of my stabilizers. The t-bolt itself gouged the inner tube and built up a burr. I had to take the stabilizer off entirely and break the burr off (hatchet worked nicely) before I could slide the inner tube freely. All, of course, after we were broken down, packed and up everyone was in the truck ready to go! Mind you, I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever- I was pretty happy with my recover from my stupidity! Fortunately nothing else broke or bent.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
And, sadly- I can tell you what happened to me when I raised the front landing gear without loosening the t-holds of my stabilizers. The t-bolt itself gouged the inner tube and built up a burr. I had to take the stabilizer off entirely and break the burr off (hatchet worked nicely) before I could slide the inner tube freely. All, of course, after we were broken down, packed and up everyone was in the truck ready to go! Mind you, I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever- I was pretty happy with my recover from my stupidity! Fortunately nothing else broke or bent.
Lesson learned, no harm, no foul!