Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #1

Rear tool box mount?

Has anyone mounted a tool box on the rear of your Columbus? I have the 320RS without the bike rack and decided to add a tool box to carry some misc stuff that is in my storage bay (chairs, folding umbrella ect).

Since the bike rack is rated for 500#, I figure a tool box with be easy. The question is, I can mount the front side to the bumper that that sits 15" off of the rear wall, but I need to run another support between the frame members to support the rear side of the box. Any suggestions?

I know a 2X4 would probably work, but I would like to do something a little heavier duty, without going to a piece of steel tube.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Has anyone mounted a tool box on the rear of your Columbus? I have the 320RS without the bike rack and decided to add a tool box to carry some misc stuff that is in my storage bay (chairs, folding umbrella ect).

Since the bike rack is rated for 500#, I figure a tool box with be easy. The question is, I can mount the front side to the bumper that that sits 15" off of the rear wall, but I need to run another support between the frame members to support the rear side of the box. Any suggestions?

I know a 2X4 would probably work, but I would like to do something a little heavier duty, without going to a piece of steel tube.
Not to step on your toes but capacity should be 450lbs just so your aware.

So are talking about moving the tool box as far back towards the wall as possible?
So that it would allow some room towards the far end of the rack?

Turbs

Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #3

Thanks Turbs. Yes, the tool box is 49" long, and 15" deep. It will fit next to the ladder, and won't obscure the license plate. The lid is recessed about 2" from the back edge so the box will be able to sit nearly flush with the back wall. Opening the lid won't interfere with the back wall.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

If you do not have the bike rack you will need to fab some kind of mount for your box. I suggest you take everything or detailed pix to a welder to be sure it's strong and light. Making it of wood is just not going to support it all and will not look good on your 320.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Before you approach this task- make sure you look at the bike racks. I doubt that they use the bumper itself for anything. It's likely mounted to the frame.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3741958371.jpg
Views:	3463
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	37227

Make sure all the weight & bracing is supported by the frame only, as you see in this pic, when the bike rack is folded down, bumper is not assisting with weight distribution at all...all the load is focused on the frame just behind the bumper.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Yep, looks and safety are key considerations. I may wind up going to a welder to get another support added to the existing frame rails.

Tags
mount