Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Personally I would not do it but if you insist find you a good welding shop and fabricator. Good luck. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Ici will say call the company that built your unit.
That's not what they told me when I wanted to add one of their flip down racks. They asked for the manufacturer and model number of the trailer, and the info on the LCI frame sticker. It took 3 days but an engineer called me back. They told me I could use one of their fold down platforms. I ended up making my own for less than 1/2 the price. However, he would not comment on what the warranty ramifications were, and avoided that question like the plague.

They would love to sell the OP one of those boat receivers, that's why they make them, sell them to the general public, and tell you to contact them if you need assistance finding one that will fit your RV. I highly doubt they would recommend towing a boat, but for some reason they do call one model a "boat receiver".
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #23
Site Team

The issue here that many people forget is the frame capability. You can purchase the best hitch on the market, have it welded on by a professional welder and reinforce the mounting points, but none of that increases the load carrying capacity of the frame. In most RVs ( except MHs that may be designed to tow) the frame is very close to its max limits when loaded for camping. This is an financial decision to lower costs .

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Pass the popcorn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
LOL LOL
Old 02-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

LCI manufactures many things for many different types of industry. To say they sell a boat hitch doesn't necessarily mean they intend for it to be put on the rear of a lightweight RV, or any RV for that matter. The frame tag they apply to their frame before it leaves their factory has nothing to do with what an end fitter may have done to it. In the case of an RV they order one frame for one model RV. LCI knows what that frame is and the specs the manufacturer gave them. They don't know what options were added to that trailer or if the manufacturer decided to change the model. The frame was built to a specific weight class and that's it. For LCI to tell someone you could do it without knowing those specifics is ludicrous. That's why they would tell you anything about your warranty.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
LCI manufactures many things for many different types of industry. To say they sell a boat hitch doesn't necessarily mean they intend for it to be put on the rear of a lightweight RV, or any RV for that matter. The frame tag they apply to their frame before it leaves their factory has nothing to do with what an end fitter may have done to it. In the case of an RV they order one frame for one model RV. LCI knows what that frame is and the specs the manufacturer gave them. They don't know what options were added to that trailer or if the manufacturer decided to change the model. The frame was built to a specific weight class and that's it. For LCI to tell someone you could do it without knowing those specifics is ludicrous. That's why they would tell you anything about your warranty.

Totally agree!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #27

I have a 2013 Rockwood 2608 and had a 7ft 1/4 in piece of angle iron welded across the back and top of bumper and attached to frame then added the hitch receiver.it's strong enough to tow a boat or car.This is what we did and it works great. And my warranty was never voided. Good luck with what you decide to do.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #28

Heading to Sam's to buy a case of popcorn. And a few pairs of bad idea jeans.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #29
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Heading to Sam's to buy a case of popcorn. And a few pairs of bad idea jeans.
They have the popcorn cookers in Stock, might save some money that way!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #30

Quote:
I stand corrected. I should of realized that LCI was just trying to keep the IT dept busy when they made a web store open to the general public and offered a "boat hitch receiver" along with 3 pages of other taboo items made to attach to frames, that evidently you can't attach to frames. Then they add a statement just to use up bandwidth that states; "contact us and our well trained customer service team is here to assist you". Nice of them to do all of that for no reason.

Maybe the intent of all of it is to only sell those add on items to people who only buy bare frames and tow them around?

Thanks for the education.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:45 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I stand corrected. I should of realized that LCI was just trying to keep the IT dept busy when they made a web store open to the general public and offered a "boat hitch receiver" along with 3 pages of other taboo items made to attach to frames, that evidently you can't attach to frames. Then they add a statement just to use up bandwidth that states; "contact us and our well trained customer service team is here to assist you". Nice of them to do all of that for no reason.

Maybe the intent of all of it is to only sell those add on items to people who only buy bare frames and tow them around?

Thanks for the education.

There's no need to be a smart *****, but think about it. They will sell you anything, but won't tell you if it will void your warranty or not on those items, and you're going to take the word of a salesman? I'm quite certain engineers are not manning the phone lines. My point was, just because they sell it, doesn't mean that you can add it to your RV and maintain your warranty. This is the vibe you are giving off and I wouldn't want some unsuspecting member to take your advice and regret it later.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mr havercamp, forest river and Lci are two separate companies.
Lci cannot dictate forest river warranty.
As Tim said, just because Lci makes and sells a hitch does not mean it's intended for every unit forest river sells.
Some frames are light weight fabricated tin I beams some are heavier true I beams and even better some are boxed triple wall heavy duty !

I've called palomino and they will void warranty if you install a trailer hitch on the units they sell period.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The issue here that many people forget is the frame capability. You can purchase the best hitch on the market, have it welded on by a professional welder and reinforce the mounting points, but none of that increases the load carrying capacity of the frame. In most RVs ( except MHs that may be designed to tow) the frame is very close to its max limits when loaded for camping. This is an financial decision to lower costs .
Actually we are to blame as the consumer. We want something less expensive. We want our IRA to do better on the stock market. Had we not want less expensive things or a higher return on our investments all things would be made here. We consume inexpensive goods made in the Far East or buy smokes online made in Russia or Bulgaria.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #34

Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsny View Post
How can it be done Don t care about warranty and be done safe
Most warranties are useless, modify as you want to meet your needs. I wish double tow was legal in NC. I have 24' TT and an 18" boat.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #35

It could not have added that much weight to the frame. Golf cart about 7-8 hundred pounds. Wheels on G/C trailer should have taken most of that weight. I'm missing something.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
It could not have added that much weight to the frame. Golf cart about 7-8 hundred pounds. Wheels on G/C trailer should have taken most of that weight. I'm missing something.

It really doesn't matter if the cart being towed behind the 5th wheel did the damage or not as palomino strictly prohibits it and since it did happen and the cart was being towed the warranty was denied on a unit less then year old.
Did you not see this picture?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #37

That picture is a accident waiting to happen. I can not imagine the stresses placed in the middle going down a rough road, hence the frame all bent to crap.
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #38

Hey the front Vent Lid has not broken off, Yet! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey the front Vent Lid has not broken off, Yet! Youroo!!

Nopt yet its next .............

Popcorn dang made me hungry..

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #40

We seem to have lost the OP