Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Remove AC vent?

I see a big piece of Styrofoam in the vent. What is the correct way to remove the circular grill? Does it just pry/pop out? I have a real bad habit of breaking things if I do not know exactly how to do it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I see a big piece of Styrofoam in the vent. What is the correct way to remove the circular grill? Does it just pry/pop out? I have a real bad habit of breaking things if I do not know exactly how to do it.
They "snap" off ..... but they don't come off easy.
Atleast mine didn't.

Shouldn't be foam in there tho....

Pics?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

I use an angled screwdriver to get under the lip of the vent which allows me to pry it a little and it pops right off.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Use a plastic trim tool to pry off the vent. Your local auto parts store should have them.
They look like this:4 Piece Trim Molding Door Panel Removal Tool Kit , Plastic Pry Tools on eBay!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Shouldn't be foam in there tho....
I had to remove a small piece of foam from mine too. It wasn't like the smaller stuff, and it hung at the vent. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to break it up and pull it out the circle vent.

My trailer still snows the little stuff each trip this first four months. Most comes from the ducted vents, although I sometimes see some behind the A/V cabinet. Seems less each time.

I thought cleaning up the sprinkles of white styrofoam beads was part of breaking in a new trailer, no?!
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

I noticed when I looked into the bathroom vent I seen what looked like stryrofoam lining the top of the vent. I thought it was strange to have insulation on the inside of the vent.

It looks like it belongs there. So you are saying it doesn't?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #7

I'll post a picture once I get home and can take one. On one of my living room vents, you can see a hunk of Styrofoam sitting on top of the vent. A chuck of it.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim295 View Post
I noticed when I looked into the bathroom vent I seen what looked like stryrofoam lining the top of the vent. I thought it was strange to have insulation on the inside of the vent.

It looks like it belongs there. So you are saying it doesn't?
Nope, not saying that at all.

In the ducted air on my trailer model, it "looks like" they simply put tunnels in the roof insulation to act as ducts to the round vents for my air flow, then didn't completely coat or line those tunnels in the styrofoam-like insulation so that bits and pieces won't flake off and blow out.

If that's the case, I suspect they may use that kind of cost effective short-cut on other ducted air models too.

The result on my trailer model is "snowing" of the styrofoam-like beads from the ducts and occasional flaked-off chunks appearing. Not a lot, just enough to notice some here and there each trip. Figure it will stop after a while, just a break-in thing.

I thought this initial "snow" effect (attached a sample pic) would be common with the duct design I'm seeing. Maybe I'm the only one experiencing this?
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

I have several huge chunks in the vents of my 325rl it's a design flaw of the a/c system
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to ByronCR Send a message via AIM to ByronCR Send a message via MSN to ByronCR Send a message via Yahoo to ByronCR Send a message via Skype™ to ByronCR
I had several large chunks in my AC vents as well. I actually went through on my PDI and just popped all the covers off while the AC was running and stuck my hand up in there to check for other loose chunks. Had the dealer come in and clean up the mess after I was done.
ByronCR is offline   Reply With Quote