Originally Posted by heagle52
Well after one year the roll around kitchen island proved not to be very road worthy! Got back from 300 mile trip and apparently all the bouncing took a toll. The bottom has been broken and pushed up through to the inside. Anybody else have any such experience and how did you go about fixing it? We had very little weight in the island and it was secured between the 2 chairs. Perhaps it will need to be held down with a strap to keep it from jumping up and down.
Any advice will be appreciated.
YES! I've had all kinds of problems with mine. I have never seen such shoddy construction techniques. The last time I dealt with it, I was so mad I almost put the whole thing in my fire pit and stood back with a cold one while it went up. But, the DW had to have it. It was a MUST have and we waited to make the purchase until the dealer had it "special" ordered from the factory before we went and picked up the rig.
From your description, ours are put together the same way. Why someone would put the casters on the bottom of the shelf is beyond me. Here is what I did, and after 3 trips (one this past weekend over 300 miles) it seems to be working well. I cut out 4 triangles of (about 5") pine board, removed the casters from the bottom of the island and stained the outside edges of the triangles to match the exterior of the island. Screwed the triangles to the bottom of the frame (not to the bottom of the shelf) and then reattached the casters to the bottom of the wood triangles. This did two things. 1st, it allowed all the weight of the island to sit on the casters vice the bottom shelf and 2nd, gave me the 5/8" increase in height that I needed to properly lock the casters. I will try and get you a pic when I get home. I could have just put a solid wood bottom on it and then attached the casters. But, I wanted to see if my triangles worked. After traveling on one of the roughest parts of I-95N and several things inside being tossed out of cabinets, the island held up perfectly and stayed in place with just the wheels locked. It took me about an hour to cut, attach and reattach, but I am glad I did it. Hope this helps.