Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Plano, TX

Roof-mounted dish locations

I've got a Winegard Trav'ler for DirecTV on order and I'll be mounting on the roof of the TT. I've already torn into the TT to figure out wiring runs and connections, etc. That should be pretty easy. There's plenty of space on the roof to mount the dish with the appropriate clearances the manufacturer recommends. My question is...is there a way to find out if the roof is reinforced anywhere specifically for the purpose of mounting a dish? I'm also not too keen on drilling screws into the roof without knowing that there aren't any wires or A/C ducts or anything like that in the area that will be damaged. I'm not sure how to go about attaining this type of information. Any help is much appreciated. Cheers!
Ale_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Canadian Member

I suggest you call the factory for their advice. Does the Solaire brochure or website have any pictures of the roof structure?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #3

I think you're asking for trouble. One with being able to properly mount it. Your TT has a vacuum bonded roof. something to check into. It could easily just have 2 layers of 1/8" luan with foam under it. Not much for screws or lags to bite into. 2nd with reception. Unless you always park away from trees then you could run into signal issues. Make sure you get a DTV sat finder app for your phone. We use a portable Winegard pathway 2 and find we need to set it in spots we would never think of because of obstructions.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I suggest you call the factory for their advice. Does the Solaire brochure or website have any pictures of the roof structure?
I've tried searching for contact info to the manufacturer with no luck. Of course the dealers don't know anything. I did download the brochure and it doesn't say anything about the roof structure. I'm only asking because I've heard that some campers have a reinforced area designed for dish mounting.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I think you're asking for trouble. One with being able to properly mount it. Your TT has a vacuum bonded roof. something to check into. It could easily just have 2 layers of 1/8" luan with foam under it. Not much for screws or lags to bite into. 2nd with reception. Unless you always park away from trees then you could run into signal issues. Make sure you get a DTV sat finder app for your phone. We use a portable Winegard pathway 2 and find we need to set it in spots we would never think of because of obstructions.
You know, I did read somewhere that it had a vacuum bonded roof, which I assumed meant a one-piece fiberglass roof. I climbed up there to mount roof vent covers and it has a rubber roof. I have no idea what's underneath, but it's definitely not just luan because it's advertised as a "fully walkable roof" and it has an option for a roof ladder (which mine doesn't have). I got up there and it had no problem supporting all of my 250lbs. As far as reception, I was originally looking at the carry-out models but then found out that not only can I not get HD (and DVR) with DirecTV (which I already have at home), but also I figured that the additional height would aid in clearing trees vs. a unit that sits on the ground. I'm really curious now what the roof is actually made of underneath the rubber. The Jayco White Hawk I looked at once has an aluminum frame but the barreled roof structure was made of wood. Mine has an aluminum frame but not sure about the roof. It's amazing how little information there is out there in regards to the construction of these things with as much money as we spend.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Is HD a must?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
Plano, TX

Maybe not. I originally thought that to get a DVR it had to be an HD receiver. I just found out that DIRECTV makes an SD DVR. I plan on testing the TV in the RV with an HD signal vs. SD to compare but I was also thinking I'd rather have a permanent solution rather than something else to haul around, like a carry-out dish. It drives me nuts that the manufacturers don't publish all the info like auto makers do about accessories and add-on compatability. In reality, my TT is a fully loaded model and it should come pre-wired and ready for a sat install.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

When I wanted to mount a TV antenna on my Palomini roof I called Palomino and spoke with the service manager. He sent me the roof drawing for my model. It showed where the steel reinforcement plates used to mount the antenna were installed. The number I called was the main one on their website.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, mount, roo, roof