Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Rooftop AC Not Draining Palomini

Two trips out in the Palomini 180fb and I have noticed that when the trailer is set up level, the condensate from the AC just accumulates on the roof.

So much that the bathroom door drags against the ceiling light fixture because the additional weight is causing the roof to sag.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #2

The roof sinks from the weight? I think you have other problems besides water accumulation. The roof should have a slight side to side pitch anyway causing the water to run off the side. But if the roof is that flat, raise the front a bit, give the tongue a half crank and see what happens.

Good luck with that!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

When I get a chance I will run a string line across the roof to ensure the ac unit is not lower than the edges.

I plan on settng up with the tongue slightly high next time, but I'm worried the tub wont drain.
Dan-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Dan we just got back from our third trip in our 180FB today. This was the first trip we had to run the AC all the time. We had the same problem with the door. Our's sag so low I had to take the cover off the light I thought about taking the door down and cutting about half inch off the top. I'll also do as David suggested next time I setup. Please let me know what you find when you pull the string across the roof. Do you think calling Palomino would be a good idea?
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

I have the 180fb with the wall mount A/C and we was thinking about going to the roof mount one. The problem with the wall one is it doesn't cool that well. It cools to about 5 to 8 degrees cooler than the outside. Also the A/C leaks inside water inside when we are done using. I would think would if drain to the outside. If there issues with the roof mount one it sounds like Palomino did not test their products very well. I love this trailer but A/C issue makes me wish I looked at other campers.
2001 Keystone Bobcat 289FBS
lstall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstall00 View Post
I have the 180fb with the wall mount A/C and we was thinking about going to the roof mount one. The problem with the wall one is it doesn't cool that well. It cools to about 5 to 8 degrees cooler than the outside. Also the A/C leaks inside water inside when we are done using. I would think would if drain to the outside. If there issues with the roof mount one it sounds like Palomino did not test their products very well. I love this trailer but A/C issue makes me wish I looked at other campers.
I think you have an A/C problem. Mine was doing that service center told me to check it with a meat thermometer hold it at the intake on the outside then on the inside at the exhaust if not within 16 degrees difference then not cooling within specs. I am pretty sure I have a freon leak and hoping not the compressor.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

We took our 180 FB back to the dealer to have them check the sagging roof. They said it was because of the roof being totally flat, door being hung to close to the light fixture. I don't know how close the door was to anyone's else light fixture. But ours was so close it almost rubbed with no water on the roof. Their fixs was to lower the door as low as they could and still cover the holes were there hinges had been. Which gave us about a 1/2 inch of clearance. They also advised as someone else said have the front slightly higher than the back to allow the water to run off.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #8

I was telling my DH about what was going on with your roof, because we was thinking about adding a roof A/C. Cause we have the side mount A/C and doesn't do the job like it should. Dealer said just make sure you camp under the trees not in the direct sunlight. So we went out and looked at our door. When the door opens, I'm able to stick my finger between the door and light. So there is about a 1/2 to 5/8 inch clearance. So now you have the same clearance I have,
Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

I think that was a big part of the problem the door being to high. We use over the door towel hooks. Which are less than a 1/4 inch thick. Before the fix we had to make sure they were away from the light. They would stop the door from opening or closing. Would be a lot better if the engineer's that design rv's actually camped.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #10

The one thing that makes me mad about this unit is what they call A/C isn't what I call A/C. Now we are stuck with a wall mount A/C and have to pay to a roof mount one put on. I talk to Palomino and they act like that wall mount one should do the job. But 8 to 10 degrees below the outside air isn't enough. I guess I'll know the next time.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #11

Both dealers near me that sale the Palomini line said the stopped ordering the wall mount AC units. They said here in NC they just wouldn't cool the tt down enough. Hope you get your AC worked out where you can enjoy camping.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

The dealer's fixed worked. We just got back from a camping trip. We even had a 1 1/2 inchs of rain in a thunderstorm one evening. The door had plenty of clearance from the light the whole trip.

Tags
drain, roo, roof