Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

RV Comfort ZC Thermostat

We bought a Palomino 374BH in August, so far it's been a pretty good purchase. The drawback with anything Forest River it seems, is manuals or structural design specs.

I have both electric and gas furnace as well as AC of course. I'm having issues keeping the 5th wheel warm, many of the vent openings don't seem to disburse heat whatsoever. There are a few conventional heat ducts in the warm area of the camper, and there are heat/ac ducts in the ceiling (i'm assuming they are). The basement area is ducted as well and it's hotter than hell in there, far hotter than one would expect.

I either have ducting issues in the section that doesn't have heat, or my thermostat isn't programmed correctly. Does anyone have any idea on how to program one of the RV Comfort ZC thermostats. I've searched the internet to no avail as well as these forums.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Unless you have a heat pump, the ducts in the ceiling are just AC only not heat. Heat only comes from the floor vents unless you have a heat pump. Just because it is a setting on the thermostat does not mean that you have electric heat.

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Head Rambler

There are many reports of heating (and A/C for that matter) ducts being disconnected, crushed, blocked, leaking, etc.. You could have one or more of these issues and that's why you're not getting heat throughout the unit.

The first order of business is to inspect the system and ductwork as best you can. Be prepared to remove some screwed in panels and maybe some sections of underbelly if yours is enclosed. It's also a good idea to "look" into the ducts to see if there is any construction debris or other blockage. I used my phone turned upside down so the camera could see down the duct. You can see pretty far into the duct like that.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

Thanks, I guess I'll have to get on my back underneath and investigate, brrrrrrr!

Wish these things came with schematics or some kind of design specs.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnKerri View Post
Thanks, I guess I'll have to get on my back underneath and investigate, brrrrrrr!

Wish these things came with schematics or some kind of design specs.
If it is still under warrantee maybe you could take it to the dealer ???
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

Does your AC units have a heat strip?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Okay, I own a CC 36 CKTS which is different from yours but I can tell you basically a few things I've discovered about our heat and cooling.

First is that the thermostat is located is the worst place possible for a thermostat so look at that. Ours is near the entry door and we generally keep the outer door open during the day and evening (we are camping after all) and the screen door with the plastic panels is usually what we have closed so we can see outside, it does not provide any insulation. Our unit typically over heats or over cools. Adjust for that condition if you can, I am planning on moving the thermostat to a better location on an interior wall so we get a better read on the interior temperature.

Second is that the outlets (air diffusers) are directional and "scoop" air from the ducts . If you want less tempered air, try rotating the direction of the diffusers or close them down some to get less air in the over heated or over cooled spaces and "push" the air to other spaces. I've kind of balanced ours to provide maximum air distribution but still needs some tweeking.

Keep in mind that we are camping and "tempering" the outside air to be more comfortable, we will never get to the level of comfort our house or office A/C systems provide.

Good luck and I hope these suggestions help some.

2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat