Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

RV damaged at Storage Facility

Our RV has been hit twice in the last 6 weeks at the Storage Facilty we have used for 6 years. Its a few blocks from home and has security cameras. Guess what?? The idiots that own the place don't know how to use the cameras to go back and look to see if they can find the person who is doing this. Told me it was not cost affective to hire someone to do that...what??? The owner got really nasty with us so we moved our RV somewhere else. The RV is in the shop with over 3000 dollars worth of damage. All I can say is KARMA~ Wondering if there is anything we can do to get our deductible back!
katsmeow62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Did you file a police report? They should have someone who can access the footage if they want.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

We filed 2 police for both times the RV was hit. By the time we did this and talked to the owner several times he informed us it was past the time we could go back and look. Apparently the video is only good for 2 weeks.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #4

I feel your pain, someone actually stole the wheels off of mine while it was in a storage lot. The tried to lift it off the ground with the stabilizer jacks, which ultimately crashed to the ground. Owners of storage lot offered no assistance and would not even call police until I arrived from out of ton to inspect.
blaisrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisrv View Post
I feel your pain, someone actually stole the wheels off of mine while it was in a storage lot. The tried to lift it off the ground with the stabilizer jacks, which ultimately crashed to the ground. Owners of storage lot offered no assistance and would not even call police until I arrived from out of ton to inspect.

Oh gosh that's horrible! The thing that makes us so mad is that 2 weeks before our RV was hit the 1st time we witnessed someone back into another RV. The driver got out looked at the damage and got back in the truck and drove off. There was a lot of damage to the RV so we called the police and informed the Storage facility. The owner of the RV called us and was so thankful we did that. They got the guy who did the hit and run and his insurance had to pay the owners deductible. We have been excellent customers and our payment was never late in 6 years!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

That's horrible. I would be fuming! It's a shame some people these days don't have the common decency to own up for themselves. Hoping you get it repaired soon and have a good rest of the camping season!
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Burglars too!

We had been in the same storage lot in a covered space for 4 years, and within two weeks of purchasing a new camper, still parked in same trouble-free spot, we were burglarized. Police came and wrote report while manager was off-duty, so the LEO asked that I try and access video surv footage and if anything there, they would add to my report.

Went to manager (who was fairly new) who said it was the first break in he had heard of in the yard, and he would go through video. Called back twice and he hadn't gotten to it. 2 weeks passed and I dropped by in person and asked and after jogging his memory, he told me that the cameras didn't capture anything. Complete BS. He either never looked, or they were not operational. Either way, I was ticked by his (lack of) customer service and I moved.

Found out later that this was no where near the first break in at that facility, and they later added a 10' fence around the entire place because they were losing so many customers due to break ins.
1971 LeMans Sprint Convertible
2010 ZG1400 Concours
Dalroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #8

It is actually illegal to have cameras hanging and not have them working. There has been a number of lawsuits won on this due to the fact that it provides people with a false sense of security... I push the storage facility to pay for it or reference one of these claims and say you will be getting your attorney involved... They will pay the deductible for sure!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
It is actually illegal to have cameras hanging and not have them working. There has been a number of lawsuits won on this due to the fact that it provides people with a false sense of security... I push the storage facility to pay for it or reference one of these claims and say you will be getting your attorney involved... They will pay the deductible for sure!
We are beginning to think that the cameras don't work but they are still toting the security camera on their website. We are thinking of taking to them small claims court!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalroo View Post
We had been in the same storage lot in a covered space for 4 years, and within two weeks of purchasing a new camper, still parked in same trouble-free spot, we were burglarized. Police came and wrote report while manager was off-duty, so the LEO asked that I try and access video surv footage and if anything there, they would add to my report.

Went to manager (who was fairly new) who said it was the first break in he had heard of in the yard, and he would go through video. Called back twice and he hadn't gotten to it. 2 weeks passed and I dropped by in person and asked and after jogging his memory, he told me that the cameras didn't capture anything. Complete BS. He either never looked, or they were not operational. Either way, I was ticked by his (lack of) customer service and I moved.

Found out later that this was no where near the first break in at that facility, and they later added a 10' fence around the entire place because they were losing so many customers due to break ins.
Im sorry for your loss! I hate thieves!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek
It is actually illegal to have cameras hanging and not have them working. !
That is interesting. I can assure that this is not illegal in Massachusetts. Although I do agree.that it is bad business.

In most cases, even the business that have security cameras are subpar and the footage retrieve from them are useless. Even when the security system is high quality, in most cases the perpetrators face is either concealed or not visible from the camera angle supplied.

Yes, I am a police officer and deal with this on a daily basis. It is very frustrating to have video surveillance and not be able to identify the party.

To the OP find a reputable business that cares about their customers. I would not be surprised if this crime was perpetrated by an employee of the storage lot or friend of an employee.
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the damage to your RV. Moving it to another site does sound like a good idea.

The storage place I keep my RV is locked up during non-business hours. It has really high walls with barb wire. I feel my TT is somewhat safer there than many other storage place that allows people to come and go any time of the day or night.

Not all camera systems are designed to tape so sometimes there will not be a tape to view. As for the quality of the video tape I have to agree that the images can be very useless. I work at a high school and our senior class of 2013 opted to pull a senior prank of squeezing superglue in the door locks. This took place the morning of the first day of senior finals. This act was captured on video but was of no use. Too bad the students causing the damage won't be getting the bill of repairing over 50 door locks.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have to wonder if the same guy you witnessed causing damage in the hit and run wasn't the same one hitting your rig? I'm Really glad I sit at the end of the line so no-one passes me. The only thing parked next to me is a little boat. Sometimes they temporarily will park something on my other side but it isn't there long. Also our spots aren't assigned, they are first Come first served. So after having our spot taken once, we took 2 PVC pipes about 5 ft tall, cemented them into buckets and put a yellow rope about 12 feet long to connect them. This holds our spot when we aren't there but when we are there it is wider than the TT giving us a space buffer. Has worked well so far. As for security, our lot has an electric gate with individual key code access during certain hours (gates open when manager is in the office, no access before 5am or after 9 pm for rvers, more restricted for everyone else). The fence covers the open Feds. The back side is protected by 300 acres of woods that the manager lives on and uses for hunting.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #14

We picked this certain storage facility because it was close to home...hubby could ride his bike to it from our home...had security cameras with digital editing...ha! It also was gated and you had to use a code to get in and could only go in and out from 7am to 9pm and our space was at the end of the row. The owner put the blame on everybody from elderly drivers to the local police department for not coming in and viewing the tapes themselves. Now the RV is 3 miles from us and in a gravel lot with a lot wider spaces. Hopefully this place will be ok!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
DDC

I'd still take them to small claims court, they took your money so they have to have some responsibility.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
TeresaInCAL

X2
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote