Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Sabre Bike Rack Issues

I've read a number of postings about an issue with the size and/or spacing of the slots in order for the bikes to sit or be carried correctly.
Curious if SabreSam has been made aware of this and does he have any comments or solutions to these said issues.

We ordered ours with the rear bike rack and looking forward to using it on every trip but looking to get a heads up on any mods I may need to do to carry the bikes securely.
Any suggestions welcomed

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
H2oski

Ragin Cajun Here is a link to what I have done to mine. Also do a search for RET2006 he had another good mod to solve the bike rack issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-21005.html
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Palomino (Sabre, Columbus) bike racks

I also posted a complaint about the bike rack. Yes the solution is pretty obvious, but why do you folks keep doing it yourselves instead of expecting Palomino to step up and fix the problem?
vcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

The problem is it's impossible to manufacture a rack that will work for every bike. It's like a one size fits all shoe...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Yes, I know, but the "one size" they came up with is much larger than any bike wheel span known to man. It seems they could at least have made it to fit a standard adult 26'' mountain bike, which is probably the most common size bike that people would be hauling around on the rack. Obviously, if a person wanted to haul kids bikes you would have to come up with your own modification to do so. Anyway, this rack makes a pretty good cargo carrier, but not a bike rack!
vcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun
I've read a number of postings about an issue with the size and/or spacing of the slots in order for the bikes to sit or be carried correctly.
Curious if SabreSam has been made aware of this and does he have any comments or solutions to these said issues.

We ordered ours with the rear bike rack and looking forward to using it on every trip but looking to get a heads up on any mods I may need to do to carry the bikes securely.
Any suggestions welcomed
Dear customer,
I have posted on the bike/ utility rack before. We tried to come up with a rack that can be used for bikes, wood, cooler, generators, and more. The unfortunate part is it is not the perfect rack for any single item. We made this rack an option so you can delete it and you can also unbolt it. That way if you want a rack that is perfect for your bikes you can delete our option and purchase a bike rack. I have received more positive comments on the rack then negative.

We do discuss how to make the rack better for everyone. We will continue to try.
SabreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1
The problem is it's impossible to manufacture a rack that will work for every bike. It's like a one size fits all shoe...
Dear customer
Thank you for your comment. You truly understand the challenge.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
H2oski

Sabresam, Thanks for looking into a better mouse trap. Yes I had to mod mine because I have 2 different bikes. I love the rack, I have carried a cooler, firewood, and bikes. If I can figure one out I'll let you know. HAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for being on this forum and assisting Sabre coustomers.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Here to Help

Dear Customers
The link below might help to secure your bikes on the rear rack.

Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Bike Rack Accessory

hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSam
Dear Customers
The link below might help to secure your bikes on the rear rack.

Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Bike Rack Accessory

hope this helps.
SabreSam, thanks for this link as a mod idea....

Question (curious), in the design of the bike rack with the slots, what was the intention of what the end users would be able to fit in this bike rack since I read that many are having trouble fitting their "basic" men's and women's size bicycles?

The bike rack on the Sabre's are one of the many reasons we decided on this unit, I expected to do mods to fit my young children's bikes but thought the basic adult bikes would do fine, again, just a question not a complaint as I'll do whatever it takes to make it work for us ( I appreciate it being an option vs having to buy something aftermarket).

Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSam View Post
Dear customer,
I have posted on the bike/ utility rack before. We tried to come up with a rack that can be used for bikes, wood, cooler, generators, and more. The unfortunate part is it is not the perfect rack for any single item. We made this rack an option so you can delete it and you can also unbolt it. That way if you want a rack that is perfect for your bikes you can delete our option and purchase a bike rack. I have received more positive comments on the rack then negative.

We do discuss how to make the rack better for everyone. We will continue to try.
I do believe a slight adjustment to the location of the bars would accommodate all uses and not be a detriment to anyone. Moving the T bars 1-1/2" closer together to decrease the distance between the bike wheel slots would not hurt anybody's use. Factory just needs a little more flexibility in designing.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #12

I purchased a couple of bike fork blocks and mounted them on the rack. I also put a strap across both bikes because there is a lot of bounce back there. Have traveled over 2,000 miles over some rough roads and no problems.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
I purchased a couple of bike fork blocks and mounted them on the rack. I also put a strap across both bikes because there is a lot of bounce back there. Have traveled over 2,000 miles over some rough roads and no problems.
Nice set up, but you shouldn't have to purchase something else to make it work if FR would just modify the rack so it would work for everyone.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

the ONLY true way to make it work is to have adjustable bars where the tires sit .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
the ONLY true way to make it work is to have adjustable bars where the tires sit .

Just remove the two inside bars going front to back and make the bars going side to side longer and furnish 8, 10 or 12 movable front to back bars for the different wheel spacings.

Lay you odds, you and I could re-design it in less than an hour and have a lot better one that would suit everyone.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
SabreSam, thanks for this link as a mod idea....

Question (curious), in the design of the bike rack with the slots, what was the intention of what the end users would be able to fit in this bike rack since I read that many are having trouble fitting their "basic" men's and women's size bicycles?

The bike rack on the Sabre's are one of the many reasons we decided on this unit, I expected to do mods to fit my young children's bikes but thought the basic adult bikes would do fine, again, just a question not a complaint as I'll do whatever it takes to make it work for us ( I appreciate it being an option vs having to buy something aftermarket).
Based on some very helpful posts and pics from other Sabre owners, I also made mods to our bike rack. The mods we made were for adult sized 26" mountain bikes, I have the pics posted on my profile page along with some other details of how I secure the bikes if you want to check them out. Sorry but don't have a pic with the bikes secured on the rack, will try to add that on the next camping trip. We are only able to get three bikes on the rack. You might be able to get a fourth bike if they are all kids bikes, more than four would be doubtful IMO.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #17

Nice. What do you use to secure the bikes to the rack? I am looking for a way to secure the bikes without having to spend a lot of time with straps or bungee cords.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #18

I bought some closed loop straps from a motorcycle shop for the handlbars of the bikes and use ratchet straps to secure the bikes to the eye bolts on the rack. I tried cam straps first because I thought they would be quicker to set up but they don't hold as well as the ratchet straps. For the rear tires, I bought some straps at Home Depot that are like a foam or rubber coated twisty tie about 18" long and they work great since they just need to hold to the tire to the rack. I also use straps from the rack frame to eye bolts I put on the bottom of the back rack to reduce the "bounce" when going down the road.It is a little time consuming to get the bikes set up on the rack but we haven't had any issues with it. I'm not a fabricator so this was my best option. For other options on securing the bikes, Ret2006 has some pics of a nice mod on this thread and H2Oski has some pics of a nice mod on a thread from 5/20/12 titled "Sabre bike rack mod".
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #19

I was looking at the motorcycle loops for the bicycle handlebars with some ratchet straps. I do not care for the cam straps either. What section of Home Depot would I find the ties that you used for the rear wheels?
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #20

I found the ties for the rear wheels on the aisle with the bungee cords and rope, etc. I'm not sure how durable they will turn out to be but it was the easiest way I could think of to quickly secure the rear wheel. I did a quick google search and you can also get them at www.griptwist.com if you can't find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Tags
bike, bike rack