Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Sabre Bike Rack Issues

I've read a number of postings about an issue with the size and/or spacing of the slots in order for the bikes to sit or be carried correctly.
Curious if SabreSam has been made aware of this and does he have any comments or solutions to these said issues.

We ordered ours with the rear bike rack and looking forward to using it on every trip but looking to get a heads up on any mods I may need to do to carry the bikes securely.
Any suggestions welcomed

Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
H2oski

Ragin Cajun Here is a link to what I have done to mine. Also do a search for RET2006 he had another good mod to solve the bike rack issue.

Sabre Bike Rack Mod

(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Palomino (Sabre, Columbus) bike racks

I also posted a complaint about the bike rack. Yes the solution is pretty obvious, but why do you folks keep doing it yourselves instead of expecting Palomino to step up and fix the problem?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

The problem is it's impossible to manufacture a rack that will work for every bike. It's like a one size fits all shoe...
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Yes, I know, but the "one size" they came up with is much larger than any bike wheel span known to man. It seems they could at least have made it to fit a standard adult 26'' mountain bike, which is probably the most common size bike that people would be hauling around on the rack. Obviously, if a person wanted to haul kids bikes you would have to come up with your own modification to do so. Anyway, this rack makes a pretty good cargo carrier, but not a bike rack!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun
I've read a number of postings about an issue with the size and/or spacing of the slots in order for the bikes to sit or be carried correctly.
Curious if SabreSam has been made aware of this and does he have any comments or solutions to these said issues.

We ordered ours with the rear bike rack and looking forward to using it on every trip but looking to get a heads up on any mods I may need to do to carry the bikes securely.
Any suggestions welcomed
Dear customer,
I have posted on the bike/ utility rack before. We tried to come up with a rack that can be used for bikes, wood, cooler, generators, and more. The unfortunate part is it is not the perfect rack for any single item. We made this rack an option so you can delete it and you can also unbolt it. That way if you want a rack that is perfect for your bikes you can delete our option and purchase a bike rack. I have received more positive comments on the rack then negative.

We do discuss how to make the rack better for everyone. We will continue to try.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1
The problem is it's impossible to manufacture a rack that will work for every bike. It's like a one size fits all shoe...
Dear customer
Thank you for your comment. You truly understand the challenge.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
H2oski

Sabresam, Thanks for looking into a better mouse trap. Yes I had to mod mine because I have 2 different bikes. I love the rack, I have carried a cooler, firewood, and bikes. If I can figure one out I'll let you know. HAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for being on this forum and assisting Sabre coustomers.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Here to Help

Dear Customers
The link below might help to secure your bikes on the rear rack.

Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Bike Rack Accessory

hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSam
Dear Customers
The link below might help to secure your bikes on the rear rack.

Ultra-Fab Products, Inc.| - Bike Rack Accessory

hope this helps.
SabreSam, thanks for this link as a mod idea....

Question (curious), in the design of the bike rack with the slots, what was the intention of what the end users would be able to fit in this bike rack since I read that many are having trouble fitting their "basic" men's and women's size bicycles?

The bike rack on the Sabre's are one of the many reasons we decided on this unit, I expected to do mods to fit my young children's bikes but thought the basic adult bikes would do fine, again, just a question not a complaint as I'll do whatever it takes to make it work for us ( I appreciate it being an option vs having to buy something aftermarket).

Tags
bike, bike rack