Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Sabre exterior rear wall bubbling

We are looking for advice on our 2010 Sabre 250rlbd fifth wheel. We bought this used in January. Upon purchasing I noticed two small bubbles about even with the window, one on each side . It was not that bad and thought it may be normal . this camper was also garaged by the previous owner. We have been noticing that the rear wall has been developing more and larger bubbles on both sides and some on the bottom in various places. We checked the roof caulking and the sides and it looks fine. This is on the back exterior wall only, the sides around the corner are fine. Do you think this is water or from heat and humidity as it is has been quite hot here in Connecticut. I know the back walls are built differently from the sides. Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks,

campingnut2

Click image for larger version

Name:	170.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	36377

Name:	169.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	36378

Name:	171.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	36379
campingnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wow ! That's not good.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Always Learning

No, not good at all and even more worrisome to hear that it's gotten worse over time. I do not believe that this is a product of heat and humidity - it looks like water intrusion.

Now here's where I get unhelpful- I don't know what to tell you to do. Because you're not the original owner, you most likely have no hope at a warranty claim. Your ability to file this with a 3rd party warranty company is hit or miss if you bought one. They have lots of exclusions unfortunately.

Because it has gotten worse while you've owned it, I'd cover the back with something to keep it from getting worse and get it looked at as quickly as possible. And, prepare yourself for some sticker shock. :-(
Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Agree...Looks like classic delamination caused by a seal failure. Unfortunatly, it will likely get worse so you should find the source of moisture eliminate it.

but I would not write off Mfg help just yet. I would still contact them and request relief. This should not happen on a 3 year old unit.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

If you determine that the cause of the problem was do to some accidental damage done to your unit after you purchased it you should contact your insurance company and make a claim. I fear other than that you are going to spend some $$ getting it fixed.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping

DO you want the bad news, the really bad news, or the probably going to make your eyes roll news first?

1 - you have a leak, maybe more than one. Water is getting in along the edge of the rear cap. Most common leak is from above, but it could be from the side. This has to be tracked down and sealed.

2- once that rear cap starts to delaminate, it will not stop. it will eventually have to be replaced (our trailer is at dealer for a new rear cap right now).

3- technically, there is no warranty whatsoever on your unit. The stated policy of Forest River, and it has been quoted many times, is that they do not honor warranty to subsequent purchaser. The original owner would have had a potential claim (most sidewalls and end cap have a multi-year warranty)

Sorry - none of that is good news. You may be able to put claim through on your insurance. Each one is different on water damage.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #7

You really should move up with multiple estimates of repair. Only real repair is to remove the rear cap/wall and replace it. Already yhe supporting structure is soaked and breakink down also. The sooner dealt with, the less repair. Too bad it's too late to cover now.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, sabre