Old 07-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Sabre Models & Hitch Setup

Anybody towing any Sabre model with a crewcab shortbed truck with a non slider hitch?
Curious if you really need a slider when considering the pinbox and front cap design on these units.
Any thoughts welcomed!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

I woud be pretty nervous about trying that. We have a Dodge Megacab (6' 3" bed) and a Sabre 32 RCTS. For peace of mind, we had a Pullrite Super Slide hitch installed. In tight turns, we still have less than 6" of clearance between the cab of the truck and the rig. Subtract the slide action of the hitch from that and you will be cutting in very close in tight turns, especially on uneven terrain during a turn.

Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun
Anybody towing any Sabre model with a crewcab shortbed truck with a non slider hitch?
Curious if you really need a slider when considering the pinbox and front cap design on these units.
Any thoughts welcomed!
I do have a slider pulling my sabre.
One year and have not used it.
One day I'm sure I will be glad I had it.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

I have a simular setup and did get a Slider (Curt 16K). We've never used it but, the price difference was pretty small and even if we never use it, I would not look back on it as a mistake

That said, after hauling for a while, I don't think I'd be comfortable make a 80-90 deg turn anyway even though the slider allows it...except for extremely tight & unavoidable siuations... Too many side sliding forces on wheels and axles.

SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre
I have a simular setup and did get a Slider (Curt 16K). We've never used it but, the price difference was pretty small and even if we never use it, I would not look back on it as a mistake

That said, after hauling for a while, I don't think I'd be comfortable make a 80-90 deg turn anyway even though the slider allows it...except for extremely tight & unavoidable siuations... Too many side sliding forces on wheels and axles.

I know for sure on mine 90 degrees is not possible without sliding unless truck is heading downhill and camper is level. ;-)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

a 90degree turn when backing results in not only undue stress on wheels/tires etc, but also results in just pushing the trailer in a circle. tires have been rolled off rims doing such manuevers.

if you need 90 deg to get into a spot, you will use up all your swearwords in short order. forward, back forward repeat is no fun and very tiring after awhile.

i too bought a slider for my ccsb, and so far havent needed it. but i have it for just in case. price difference between slider hitch and back glass/bodyshop repair is negligeble.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
jsk

I have a slider and have needed it once - of all places it was at home. Sure was glad I had it cause you never know when you will need it. The difference in cost is whole lot cheaper than a possible call to the insurance company.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

I have a Reese 15K Pro series slider hitch with a crew cab short box. I am glad I had it many times in small campgrounds, a crowded fuel stop, and also at the end of my street.

It is sure worth it for peace of mind and cheaper than a corner window on the truck.
sabre5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #9

I have the Sabre 250RLUD and tow with the GMC crew cab 5'8'' bed. I opted for the sidewinder pin box. Wife and I are 65 and I did it for peace of mind. We camp in many state parks where the space is tight. Have I needed it yet? In my case, yes. I wasn't in favor of having to get out and use a slider, especially in a few years from now. Also, I have heard horror stories of needing to get into a gas station along a busy road when you have no other options and it would require you to stop and use the slider.

Your decision might be different if you have the 6'6" bed. I knew I had to do something and this was my option of choice. I never have to worry. I put it in a 90 degree turn ONCE.... just to make sure it works.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Any thoughts welcomed!
I have a 2011 F350, CC, S/B with a 2013 291 BHTS Sabre Sil. I have a DSP hitch made locally in Edmonton, Canada. I have never had an issue. I pull with the centre holes in middle of axle. I can also move hitch slightly back for more clearance, but never have. When I have to jacknife, I take my time. Hope this helps.