Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Sabre, Palomino or coachmen?

I understand that Sabre is no longer manufactured by Palomino but is now a coachman product. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? If so are there any comments on which product what is better built? I noticed the floor plan has changed slightly on the 33 ckts any other changes?

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

We recently got a 2016 Palomino Columbus 381FL. We don't have a lot of experience with 5th wheels but compared to our 2013 Crossroads Hill Country this thing is really well made. We are thrilled with it. Very nice and very solid compared to our last unit.
Nights Camped 2013 - 6 • 2014 - 7 • 2015 - 12 • 2016 - 29 • 2017 - 16 (17 more planned!!)
Charles.maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sabre was transitioned from Palomino to Forest river this past Summer. 2015 and older units are palomino. 2016 and newer units are Forest River not Coachman. The Forest river units have gone back to a wooden roof so they are structural changes between the two companies.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

2016 was both palomino and sabre.

Mine is a 2016. Pal.
You can also get a 2016 sabre.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Sabre is definitely a Forest river, not coachman. (30 second google seach will pull up Sabre, Forest River).

Yes maybe some of the late '16s might be FR, but the '17 should all be. I saw one the first of feb, at the Tulsa boat and outdoor expo. The graphics look really cheap now, otherwise most stuff looks the same. Little stuff is different just like any model year usually does.

I don't know much on others, but our 36qbok, now branded the 360qb, looks like much is the same. Only thing i really noticed different was the pin weight was higher now (on brochure specs).
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

I have a '13 Sabre TBOK and I am not impressed with it whatsoever. Mostly my problem is to get my dealer to perform warranty work. But! And this is a big But! Since 2013 things continue to go wrong with the unit. That starts at the factory. I can't see FR having cleaned house at the Sabre plant so I am sure the same incompetence is still building these units.

I have pretty much given up with the dealer and chalk up the extended warranty as a loss.

Good luck in your decision. But if it were me, I'd look at other units or for a used one with the issues worked out of them
Nastyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Canadian member

I learned from a dealer that Sabre has gone into major renovations in their manufacturing facilities last year. I have a 2014 Sabre FW, and is built with the 6 sided aluminum welded frame. It used to be a major selling feature for them. I think that Sabre silhouette used to be their lite product (entry level), Sabre the mid range, and Columbus their luxury unit. Now It is sabre lite, and regular Sabre I think...not sure where silhouette fits anymore.
It is my second Sabre, had a 2011 unit, and now a 2014. I have been very satisfied with both...very well built and solid, both with very few problems.

Eagle2405
2014 Sabre FW, 31 CKTS
2012 Ford F 350 diesel,King Ranch
Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
Another adventure awaits!

We have a 2014 Sabre 33CKTS and we love it. Was at RV show this past weekend and talking to Sales Manager from Dealership where we purchased our unit, he advised us that they are no longer carrying the sabre because sabre has changed from a 6 sided aluminum frame to a 5 and in the dealerships opinion sabre is an inferior product to what it used to be. Dealership is carrying the Columbus Compass series in place of Sabre. Looked at the 3777 ... very nice.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Canadian member

Living in Quebec, I purchased my 2 Sabres in Ontario, where Sabre was very popular. Sabre was for me and many other RVers one on the best value for the money spent.It is a shame that they reduce their quality to improve their competitiveness or their margin...one or the other and probably both. Columbus is in another class, very nice luxury units, and quite a bit more money...especially here in Canada. With 6 sided aluminum frame, Sabre was close to Columbus in terms of construction quality, not anymore. In the meantime, we love our Sabre.

Eagle2405
2014 Sabre FW, 31 CKTS
2012 Ford F 350 diesel,King Ranch
Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Am I missing something here? I'm under the impression that Forest River is the parent company of both Coachman and Palamino plus many others. So I would take that to mean that they are all Forest River.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

This is where I got my info. http://www.forestriverinc.com/#&panel1-2

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Am I missing something here? I'm under the impression that Forest River is the parent company of both Coachman and Palamino plus many others. So I would take that to mean that they are all Forest River.
They are all under the Forest River Umbrella. Kind of like how GM is the parent company of Buick, Chevy, Cadillac, etc...

But you originally said

Quote:
I understand that Sabre is no longer manufactured by Palomino but is now a coachman product
It was previously labeled as a Palomino Sabre but now they are Forest River Sabre. Coachman really has nothing to do with it. They are a separate line under the FR brand.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #13

We have a 2015 Sabre 33CKTS under the Palomino flag. Saw the new version of this under the FR name at an RV show this past weekend in Springfield, MO. The newer model looks "cheap" to me but I'm sure it is a partial opinion. As for ours, love the trailer. Couple of minor things like any trailer but they have been worked out. As for the dealer--I won't go back to them. Great for the sale but that's where it ends. They don't give a flying flip about warranty work.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #14

I think I got some wrong Info. I see nothing about Sabre in the Coachman literature. I did see Sabre under both Palomino and Forest River RV. Confusing.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 03-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I think I got some wrong Info. I see nothing about Sabre in the Coachman literature. I did see Sabre under both Palomino and Forest River RV. Confusing.
Looks like you've got it figured out. Don't know who would've told you that Sabre was under Coachman but they were definitely wrong.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I don't know much on others, but our 36qbok, now branded the 360qb, looks like much is the same. Only thing i really noticed different was the pin weight was higher now (on brochure specs).
I actually watched a walk-thru video of a 360qb and noticed quite a few differences.

They took the microwave out of the outdoor kitchen as well as the three pullout drawers on the bottom. I don't think there's as much cabinet storage there anymore either.

They moved the doors for the big pantry in the kitchen around the corner so they are facing the table. They also took out the "pull-out" cabinet between the stove and the fridge and made it just regular cabinets.

It looks like there are fewer cabinets around the main TV area. They took out the cabinets above the couch.

They have regular blinds over the windows rather than the day/night shades.

The dinette is a four-seater with a stand-alone table rather than a u-shaped.

The doors into the bedrooms are all wood. Ours have glass with blinds over them.

The dresser in the master bedroom is taller and off to the right of the window instead of underneath it. The closet is just 2 big sliding doors instead of having a separate cabinet area where the washer/dryer hookups are.

I don't know how much of these are options that can be changed but if I had to choose, I'd certainly say the QBOK > 360qb. I can see why dealers (mine included) quit carrying the line.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
As was said, FR is kind of like GM, numerous independent divisions.
Especially for the brands FR acquired during economic downturns.

These are Palomino (bought from Vanguard industries), PrimeTime, Coachmen, Dynamax and Shasta.
These pretty much still operate as before the acquisition, just got saved from shutting down, by FR's financial bailout.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #18

I'm glad I have the Palomino Sabre. I don't like the new 33ck.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS

Tags
palomino, sabre, coachmen