Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #1

Sabre praise

I have been reading so many of the posts on the Forum of unhappy experiences with Forest River products. We purchased our 2013 Sabre 34 RLQS in May of 2012 after 2 years of searching, comparing and lots of RV shows!

When we first got the new 5th wheel, we were thrilled. This soon ended as we found so many problems with it that we had to start a running list of items. Items that included hot and cold lines being backward, lights falling out of the ceiling, window screwed in wrong so that you couldn't open it, water leaks, etc.

We tried working with the dealer to get these resolved. Thought that they were helping us but then saw that many of these issues were being "fixed" worse that the original problems or just not being worked on at all. Frustrated us beyond belief as we would leave it with them for weeks only to find that nothing was accomplished. Of course much of the blame was put on Forest River.

So we decided to see for ourselves what this company was all about by attending the Rally in Goshen. That was one of the best decisions we had ever made! I can't speak to any of the other divisions of this company but the Sabre division rose to the occasion and restored our faith in US companies and customer service.

They started out by just fixing the one major problem we addressed; the kitchen slide throwing itself into the 5th wheel when closing it. As we were watching the tech work on this and talking about other things, the list we had came up. They stared looking at all the problems we had and then decided we should bring it in to the factory so they could work on them. They kept it for a day and not only fixed some of those problems, they found ones that we didn't even know existed.

The decision was for us to leave the camper when we were done at the Rally and they would work on all the left over problems and then return the camper to us in Wisconsin. We will be getting it back today and it will be like new! or like new should have been.

What I want to really state here is that, yes it should have never left the factory in the condition it was in - a condition that sounds like many of you have experienced. People build these and people can be sloppy and short-sighted in their appreciation of their jobs. BUT, Forest River seems to me to be a company that wants the best for their customers. They will take the time to listen to what your problem is and make it right.

Lets not get frustrated or negative, but be persistant when you have issues and go to them directly. Let SabreSam on this Forum try to help find a solution. If that doesn't work, find out who is in charge of your division and talk to that person. If that doesn't work, find out who their boss is and work with them! They have everything to gain from keeping customers and learning from the problems we have.

We were told by the people we worked with that it was a blessing that we came to the Rally. They learned so much about issues from our 5th wheel and how to find out what was happening in their shop by seeing the end product and the problems we had. I think too many times we complain or replace the item we purchase and the companies we buy them from never even know of the widespread dissatisfaction until they go out of business.

If you attended the Rally I'm sure you know how the President feels about their customers and what lengths they will go to ensure that you are getting a quality product. Don't go away upset - just go the extra step!

Hope that this helps others to work towards a satisfactory relationship with the company. I also suggest that you attend next years Rally. You can visit the factories and just get a good feeling for the the work they are doing and the company ideals.

FRF & FROG member
Rallies 12 & 13, Cherry Blossom 13, Branson 13... More to come!
CheezPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Awesome write up !
I LOVE MY SABRE ! Your experience just furthers my faith in sabre and palomino !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #3

Thanks! We can't imagine ever buying another kind! I know that when we need to replace it will just be another Forest River!!!

FRF & FROG member
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl & Jackie
Thanks! We can't imagine ever buying another kind! I know that when we need to replace it will just be another Forest River!!!
We've had ours just over a year and have had minor issues ALL taken care of very promptly by the dealer.

My dw had her doubts at first but has come to enjoy all the aspects (good or bad) of our unit.

Ron
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl & Jackie View Post
I have been reading so many of the posts on the Forum of unhappy experiences with Forest River products.
I'm sure you know this but I think people in general are more likely to post a comment or review of something when they are not happy with it, conversely most people who are happy don't the feel the need to shout it to the world.

So I take everything I hear with a grain of salt. Especially anything on the web...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King

I'm sure you know this but I think people in general are more likely to post a comment or review of something when they are not happy with it, conversely most people who are happy don't the feel the need to shout it to the world.

So I take everything I hear with a grain of salt. Especially anything on the web...
What you say is true !

That's why we have the thread .....
I LOVE MY FOREST RIVER PRODUCT !
Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

So very true but all the more reason to sometimes take the time to post a positive experience!

FRF & FROG member
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
phat phrog stunt crew

Especially anything on the web...

you mean not all things on the web are true???

nice to see a positive instead of a negative. kind of a point/counterpoint. we have had our 2012 sabre for about a month, maybe less and have camped 4 nights so far. our experience has been good to this point. we would like to get a new door that covers the a/v radio cabinet (left door) that i left open, forgot about and closed the slide into. what a marooon.

so, without my brainfart, everything has worked well so far, and am quite pleased with it and so is my wife. with me... not so much. i'm glad i didnt impress her this much when we were dating
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #9

We love our Palomino. Great write up too!
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #10

Uh Oh - didn't end as we had hoped.

Sad to say but this praise didn't end up as well as we had hoped.

Got the unit back from the factory and our capture plate was severely damaged when they tried to move the unit into the bay. Instead of telling someone that it had been damaged, the plate was taken off and thrown inside the storage area for us to discover once back in Wisconsin.

We had to order a new part for $208 and install it - not as easy as you would think. When I contacted Gary in Goshen, he was nice about it, took the blame and told us to forward him the bill. That was Friday before Labor Day. Sent him the invoice via email and heard nothing. Waited a week and sent him another request and asked that he reply to the email. Nothing. After 2 weeks called him and asked if he received the email and he said he hadn't. (Guess it's just me but I would have made a note and when I didn't get anything I would have followed up, but again just me.)

This time I sent in the mail, certified, return receipt just so I'd know it got there. Sent a nice letter along just letting him know that we appreciated the refund but let him know of our concern that this type of situation could have been avoided and that other customers are upset with the "if it's wrong and I don't tell anyone the customer will have to handle it" idea is just not a good thing for public relations. *Really, it was a very nice letter, nothing in the complaint form!!*

Took until just this week to get the check, but sadly no response to the letter - nothing, not even a "got it - don't care - thanks" - nothing! Kind of feel like we didn't count now that we aren't face to face.

Still love the unit, still feel that Forest River is trying to make things right, but also feel that the "service" is different when they don't have to see you right in front of them.

Will attend next years Rally because we met so many great people and had such a great time - but hoping that we don't need to go through this again.

FRF & FROG member
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #11

I get a chuckle when I read these posts from people who go to Rallys and get things fixed for free. How amazing, they even fixed stuff that was out of warranty! They are so sweet and nice and you mean people shouldn't complain about them.

Look, they are fully aware of issues custumers are having. They keep records of warranty claims. They get feedback from customers. They read forums. They do surveys. They can even go an look at used units on lots or buy them and tear them down. They do all this and more.

The Rally's are PR and marketing. They know these are very vocal customers that spread the word of good deeds. There is nothing wrong with them doing alittle pandering. It's certainly good for those fortunate enough to be able to go to a rally. But it's screw everybody else that can't go. So don't be so quick to believe all their BS.

That said, hope you get everything worked out. Sounds like you were very fortunate.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabresam