Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Sabre Sam (long read)

So, here's my weekend.....first off wife and I have been looking for a 5er for past 9 months. I've been a member of the forum for sometime and have actually reached out to some of you with questions etc (Thanks TURBS). DW and I narrowed search down to Sabre 32BHOK or the TBOK. Our search was on Internet hadn't actually walked through one, but this forum and the Sabre owners swayed us...most impressive was this dude named Sabre Sam....factory rep reaching out and helping his customers....good stuff...fast forward to Saturday
DW and I met the besties at the Louisville RV and Boat show, first in the door....moving from left to right, We started walking through everything on the floor, had a list of what we wanted, on a mission armed with the knowledge provided by the members of this forum, dreams of someone hooking up my new 5er and me pulling it home.....4hours later, sore feet confused and tired of salesman, it was time for cold beverages. Fully refreshed (ok 2 cold ones later) we continued the mission and actually really liked the Montana equivalent to the BHOK. Great set up, more $ then what I priced the Sabres but still a quality 5er....DW and I sat down and started crunching numbers.....we still hadn't seen any Sabres, so before we pulled the trigger, told the salesman we needed to go talk....we walked through the show talking about the purchase, excited but wife a little disappointed because she couldn't get the super lounge with the Montana. I look up and what do I see but a huge SABRE sign, looked ove and the TBOK is sitting there. Grabbed all and away we went...of course fell in love with it, but had some questions.
Looked over and noticed a gentleman standing by with a Forrest river ID that said Sabre, I introduced myself, he started off by saying "I'm sorry, but I'm a factory rep" I looked at his name and it said SAM...jokingly I asked "hey hahahaha, are you Sabre Sam haha?". Flash to wife and I can hear her saying "OMG what is my DH doing now?". He says "yes, yes I am". Me: from the FR community? SAM: Yeah that's me. So me the skeptical one I test him, so you Know who TURBO is? (got him now I thought). SAM: yeah he has a 32BHOK in fact I have him in my cell.......OMG SABRE SAM IS REAL!!! I introduce my wife, my buddy and tell them all "hey this is freaking Sabre Sam!". As I continue to tell them about the community and Sam and they look at me like I've lost my mind......who cares, this is freaking Sabre Sam!
Sam was very gracious and took the time to talk with me, show me things, diagram the AC and answered every question my wife and I had, just as he has in the forum. His passion and belief in the Sabre product resonated throughout our lengthy discussion. On the way home, DW commented that she wished we could buy directly from Sam (she actually read some of the postings from Sabre Sam when we got home).
We cancelled our order for the Montana, and have an appointment with a dealer to order our 2013 32BHOK with the super lounger on Monday. Thank you Sam for taking the time, we will be new Sabre owners soon. More to follow!
Redleg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #2

Thats great! This it's truly the best forum, with the most involved and information sharing users i know of.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
H2oski

Man, l thought SabreSam was a fictious person. Now we have an eye witness to the legend. Great writeup of your experiance.

Thanks SabreSam.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

LOL Very cool story and good luck with your purchase!

You all had it backwards...SabreSam is real ... It's turbs who is ficticious!!!!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #5

Great story w/happy ending! So cool that you took the time to share it!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You'll just love the 32bhok!
Great story to!
Sam is the great almighty!

As for dnd ....... one really never knows...

Turbs!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

You gonna enjoy your Sabre...yes, SabreSam is a big attribute to us Owners and potential buyers!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

SAM please send any and ALL Kick backs to My home address ........

Turbs!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Here to Help

Redleg 13,
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell everyone! Good people like you are why I help. We'll let the nasty people buy the competitive brands...LOL. Just yell if I can help more. Turbs is a great Sabre owner and a crazy man on a sled......so I'm told.
SabreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

You actually met and talked to a legend, at least on this forum. I would've grabbed a Sabre brochure and had SabreSam autograph it .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
You actually met and talked to a legend, at least on this forum. I would've grabbed a Sabre brochure and had SabreSam autograph it .
I'd have paid a few bucks on eBay for that!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #12

You should get him to autograph your RV and then list it on Barrett Jackson. Maybe you can get Turbs to sign it too to add even more value. I really do like those Sabres. They make a nice unit. Congrats.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

Redleg,

Great Post.....thanks for sharing your experience. As you saw in my post on Sam's thread, we also met Sam at the Louisville show...so 2nd eyewitness testifying to the dedication of SS!! Similar experience in noticing the factory rep name tag with "Sam" and of course I had to ask!! Instead of an autograph should have taken a pic and posted here!! Our 36qbok will be off line soon and Sam has been helpful in answering questions and giving us an overall feeling of confidence in the product and our choice. PM me if you want my opinion on dealers and my experience in ordering our unit. Good to hear from a fellow Kentuckian!!
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
Redleg,

Great Post.....thanks for sharing your experience. As you saw in my post on Sam's thread, we also met Sam at the Louisville show...so 2nd eyewitness testifying to the dedication of SS!! Similar experience in noticing the factory rep name tag with "Sam" and of course I had to ask!! Instead of an autograph should have taken a pic and posted here!! Our 36qbok will be off line soon and Sam has been helpful in answering questions and giving us an overall feeling of confidence in the product and our choice. PM me if you want my opinion on dealers and my experience in ordering our unit. Good to hear from a fellow Kentuckian!!
Thanks speed sent a PM with some questions. And yeah kicking myself for not taking a pic of SS....the hunt continues. Congrats on the QBOK, we looked at them also, that's a lot of 5er but beautiful the boys loved the bunk area, throw them some food, drinks and they'd never leave it. Wife loved the TBOK but I was concerned with TV and weight so decided on the BHOK....don't want to over extend the F250 with the 6.4 diesel....
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSam View Post
Redleg 13,
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell everyone! Good people like you are why I help. We'll let the nasty people buy the competitive brands...LOL. Just yell if I can help more. Turbs is a great Sabre owner and a crazy man on a sled......so I'm told.
Thanks again Sam, it's our secret!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg13 View Post
Thanks speed sent a PM with some questions. And yeah kicking myself for not taking a pic of SS....the hunt continues. Congrats on the QBOK, we looked at them also, that's a lot of 5er but beautiful the boys loved the bunk area, throw them some food, drinks and they'd never leave it. Wife loved the TBOK but I was concerned with TV and weight so decided on the BHOK....don't want to over extend the F250 with the 6.4 diesel....
I think the dry weight will end up at 12,300 on the unit I ordered. I am rated to $15k with my set up and recently added air bags. I know the 8.1L will be enough engine. The difference between my 250 and a 350 is the rigidity of the frame and wide base/extra width with the drw. I don't travel with excessive weight but will find out soon enough as my trip home after delivery will be three hours of interstate..I LOVE my outside kitchen...I am sure you will as well. We are also very excited about the super lounge. We will be passing your way as we are booked into the Jellystone at Mammoth Cave for Memorial Day weekend...come join us!! We can get a FROG going!!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg13 View Post

Good move on adjusting rv weight purchase to your current TV...the 6.4 will tow very well, if you we're in a gasser, I'd be concerned...especially pulling up grades.
Enjoy your Sabre...well built campers!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
I think the dry weight will end up at 12,300 on the unit I ordered.
You're about right. My 2012 36QBOK is a bit over 12,200 (link to yellow sticker).

I've wanted to weigh and am kicking myself for not doing it on the way to or from Florida last month.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
RVWholesalers Representative

We have the privilege of having Sabre Sam as our Sabre Factory representative. Not only is he an awesome rep, but a very great person and friend! Same is truly one of a kind! Redleg13 congrats on your new Sabre, you are going to love the quality!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #20

I saw a very similar unit to the one I ordered at the Louisville RV show this weekend. It had the same options I ordered such as such as 2nd A/C and slide toppers. I did not order the fireplace. I did order the super lounge but not sure if the weight will vary when replacing a dinette/couch combo. The dry weight on the unit at the show was 12,282. Do you have the fireplace and 2nd A/C?