Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Sabre TV / Satellite Wiring

we have a 2010 32bhok and are curious as to how the cable/satellite wiring works. Cable is obvious and I would think you could change the channels at will.

but on the satellite, how is everyone running that?

Dish to outside hookup
satellite box at the main tv

then how does it work on all the other tv's? We would be fine if the same channel was on all tv's but we want to be able to make use of the satellite on all tv's without 3 boxes etc.

for example, satellite box inside at main tv, outside by the grill and fire watching the game on the exterior tv.
Deleted Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

i have the same unit. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, is that when kooked into the satellite port outside, that only goes to the living room TV. I thionk all others are connected to the cable input
ndtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

I will be setting this capability up in our new 2012 Sabre 32QBTS this weekend. I am assumming the travel trailer and 5th wheel are wired the same.

I plan to do it the same way I did on the last trailer. The main cable input and roof antenna input is combined at the main amplified wallplate. At this location, I will also combine the coax output from the satellite box. All it takes is a splitter/combiner. Here is how.

Disconnect the "CABLE" feed into this wallplate (should be marked on circuit board of the amplified wall plate).
Connect the coax "CABLE" feed (from the wallplate) and the coax from the "SATELLITE" receiver output to the "IN" on the combiner.
Connect the "OUT" on the combiner into the cable input to the main wallplate.

Now whatever is playing on the satellite receiver will play on all the TVs if they turn to the channel output by the satellite receiver (usually 3 or 4). Otherwise they can still watch cable or antenna just by channel selection. Once installed no switches or anything to mess with. Worked great on our last trailer to use the same satellite receivers to watch multiple TV's. Only downside is that it will not be HD since it is from the coax output of the satellite box.

If you have questions on this I can try to clarify.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

What I was able to do was I hooked my dish sat box to main tv via HDMI, which freed up my out to tv connection on sat box. I then connected out to tv from sat box to the cable feed on the amplified wall plate. Set bedroom tv to channel 3 and am able to watch satelite TV in bedroom did not have to use splitter. Hope this is clear as mud.
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

I hooked it all up and it worked as expected. It is slightly more work to initially set up with the splitter/combiner ($2.65 from Amazon - Amazon.com: CHANNEL PLUS 2532 2-Way Splitter/Combiner (CHANNEL PLUS 2532): Electronics) but gives more flexibility after install. Once it is installed as I described a few posts up - each of the four TV outlets (living rm/bed rm/bunk rm/patio) can independently choose if they will watch satellite on channel 3, cable channels if available or antenna over the air signals if available. Nothing needs to be reconnected and everything works like normal if the satellite receiver is not with us. The method in the post above would not allow the living room TV to use antenna over the air when available without reconnecting the inputs. I also actually ran HDMI cables to a 2-way splitter ($6 from monoprice - For only $4.96 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Video Splitter - HDMI Male to DVI-D Female X 2 | HDMI Passive & Non-Powered Splitters) and then to both the bedroom and living rm tv's so they will be in HD. Both of these TV's are also connected to coax so they can also view antenna (over the air in high def) or cable by simply selecting the correct input on the TV remote.

I will try and attach a drawing showing where the splitter/combiner should be added (new to this forum so I hope this works). The left side is how my trailer was wired before touching anything. The right side shows the splitter/combiner and where to insert it.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

the one thing I dislike about this forum is how I do not receive normal notifications... gonna have to figure that out. I am a vbulletin admin and web designer so I know my settings are correct.

anyways...

THANK YOU for all that info. I am without a doubt going to try this. We tried this weekend to get it to work and had no luck, we did not have the splitter though. It would be flat out awesome if we could choose OTA vs Satellite on any and all tv's

Now when you say about the channel 3 vs 4. How does this work with digi tv. Does that just take over 3.1? Also what if there is a local channel for 3.1?

Last questions, did you purchase another remote that has stronger RF? Or are you able to change the channel on the box from the bed etc?

again THANKS A TON
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #7

after studying some more, it appears you have a "new" wire involved? it would be the right most wire on the new splitter you put in? If that is the case, how are getting it back to the satellite box? Are you just leaving the wall plate hanging? Did you fashion some sort of new wall jack?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

This was handled in a different way in this "How To"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 244 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpigate View Post
the one thing I dislike about this forum is how I do not receive normal notifications... gonna have to figure that out. I am a vbulletin admin and web designer so I know my settings are correct.

anyways...

THANK YOU for all that info. I am without a doubt going to try this. We tried this weekend to get it to work and had no luck, we did not have the splitter though. It would be flat out awesome if we could choose OTA vs Satellite on any and all tv's

Now when you say about the channel 3 vs 4. How does this work with digi tv. Does that just take over 3.1? Also what if there is a local channel for 3.1?

Last questions, did you purchase another remote that has stronger RF? Or are you able to change the channel on the box from the bed etc?

again THANKS A TON
To receive email notifications you will need to go to the bottom of the thread - under "additional options" find "thread subscriptions" and use the pull down box to select "instant email notification". This needs to be selected on a thread by thread basis as far as I know.

We just got back from our Memorial day camp trip. Everything worked great except the HDMI splitter. It was working when I mocked it up using two 22" lcd's but does not work with one 22" and 32". I think I will need a powered matching HDMI splitter if we want a HDMI connection in the bedroom. The cable input worked with all TV's though - they could all choose sattellite or OTA. Channel 3 and 4 still exist on three different TVs I have tried - some TV's say 3.0 and 4.0. I guess if 3.1 were available OTA you would still receive it. Have not had the chance to try that yet.

In the travel trailer we mounted the satellite reciever to the side of the bed pedastal with the front of the satellite box aimed toward the living room. The remote works from either the living room or bedroom. It bounces off the floor in the living room even with the bedroom door shut and seems to work all the time. In the bedroom it reflects off the walls. Just need to be more precise in where it is aimed. In the 5th wheel it may be more challenging and you may need a RF remote. Play around with a few locations before choosing the final mounting location.

For the new wire I ran it under the floor and fished it up the wall. By pulling out the Concertone it was easy to get to the wall space. To run under floor the underbelly was loosened enough to be able to reach in and grab cables.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions with my setup.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #10

forgive me but I am not an av guy at all. I can do the normal stuff in the house, but when it comes to our surround sound in the LR I call the pro's.

what is the new wire for exactly? I thought all you were doing was taking the satellite wire and redirecting it to all the other wires out.

is it that you have to go from the satellite out on the sat box back into the splitter to accomplish that? if so that makes sense, and if we chose to leave the sat box right there at the junction panel at the tv there would be no need to fish wires under the floor etc?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #11

Yes, the one new wire shown on the bottom right of my drawing is a coax cable output from the satellite box. This wire carries the satellite output on channel 3 or 4 and needs to be combined into the system. You could add or modify a wallplate to be able to connect the cable. I ran underfoot since I did not have a good location to mount the sat box by the LV TV.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Was just wondering if you completed this wiring and how it worked out for you we have a new sabre 2011 and we have two plates one for sattellite and one for cable and only one input on the tv. I would like to hook up both in the living room. And then just antena in bedroom which we still haven't hung the TV in. but still would like to be able to hook up both on the living room and just switch it with the input mode any help or ideas. Thanks
angietiggr is offline   Reply With Quote