Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #1

Satellite dish hookup on 2012 Saber 32RCTS

Trying to hookup my portable direct TV dish. Signal is fine when going directly from dish to receiver. Trying to avoid running cable through door. When hooking up to the cable/sat connector on the outside of the trailer then coming from the aux sat connector in the entertainment center to the receiver signal is lost. Tried it with the switch in both on and off positions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are on a two month stay and don't want to be tripping over cables and wasting heat from routing cable through door or window.
Is it possible I'm hooking to the wrong connectors?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

are you plugging into the sat coax or the the cable coax outside ?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

I'm hooking up to the sat coax but when that didn't work I tried the cable option. Neither worked
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Hope this helps

http://www.winegard.com/receivers/setupguide.php

this is for the 1518

http://www.winegard.com/receivers/setupguide.php?main=directory&leftcolumn=dish-carryout&product=image_carryout
that if your running a wineguard dish.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Using Direct TV slim line with H25 receiver and inline swim module. Thanks for the info though.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

I'm thinking my next step will be to ohm out the connections of the trailer. I have tried using the rooftop antenna several times in areas where I expected to get decent reception and barely got a channel. I'm beginning to wonder if the outlet connection may be crossed.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #7

I have had a few friends with the
Similar problems that found out the switch box was bad. We had to bypass the switch and go direct to the tv after the receiver

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #8

Two out of three fifth wheels I have owned came new with television/sat coax problems. I don't know who these mfg., get to install the cable but they don't do a very good job. Present rig I found a bad crimp on a connection behind the outside receptacle. Good thing the problem wasn't hid somewhere in the wall or ceiling. Check all your crimped connectors, they may look good but still be a bad crimp.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #9

Based on the number of issues mentioned my confidence level of proper cabling isn't very high. You would think these would be verified after assembly.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #10

Chances are extremely good that the problem is where the coax either originates or terminates as mentioned in prior responses. When I couldn't get any signal with our 2007 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder, I discovered on the backside of the pre-amp/switch plate, the inner connector had pulled back inside the coax itself so it wasn't even make connection, but you would not know that looking at the metal coax connector screwed onto the plate because it was crimped properly on the outside. This can happen when someone crimps the connector onto a tightly wound spool of coax wire prior to it getting straightened out. Yes, someone needs to "QC" this connection at the dealership prior to it being delivered as I don't think the TV monitors are hooked up and installed until after final delivery for transportation reasons. This is a very easy problem to have even among us hobby ham radio operators who make these kind of connections all the time, but no excuse if properly inspected in light of how much these rigs cost $$$$$$ 73's W8RFK--Myron

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
53Oliver88 is offline   Reply With Quote