Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Pher1130 View Post

I was curious about what hitch you're using. I have the same trailer and a 2009 Suburban 1500 4x4. I purchased the Equalizer hitch for mine and the dealer didn't do a good job of setting up the hitch properly. Bought the trailer out of state, towed it back to Texas and fought sway the entire drive home. Anyway, I made some adjustments to the hitch setup following the instructions from Equalizer and still have some sway (much less) but still wanna see if I can reduce it more. So if you by any chance had the same hitch I was curious as to how many washers were in your hitch ball setup.

I've seen a 317BHSK only once and its a great looking unit. Congrats to both you and the kbosch on your new trailers!!

If you don't mind, I want to add a comment or two about being pushed around like you were towing it back from the dealer and the wind you are still feeling.

First, good for you to learn how to adjust if yourself. I think we all have to just assume dealers do it wrong and its best to redo it yourself. Also, the dealer typically sets it up for being towed dry and you have to adjust once you load the family in the truck and cargo in the trailer anyway.

Since this is a very long trailer at 35' and was designed with a heavy back end, your model will tend to have a lighter tongue weight unless you pay attention to how you are loading it.

I suggest that you buy a Sherline scale or visit a convenient CAT scale to see what I mean. Your trailer dry has only a 9.3% tongue weight, which will definitely cause the front end of your truck to feel squirally because it has too little weight being transferred to the front axle. So, loading cargo closer to the front of your trailer is probably necessary. As an example; assuming your fully loaded trailer is 8,000lbs, than the tongue weight needs to be about 1,000-1,100 to get you to a moderate 13% TW. If the trailer is loaded evenly front to back, than the tongue weight will be too light. I would be careful about loading cargo behind the back axle of this trailer.

Again, I recommend a Sherline scale to help fine tune your setup.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #32
Thanks to everyone for their input! I failed to mention that mine is the 4-point sway control.

Kbosch74 - I just don't know yet. I've only towed the trailer from the Iowa dealer to my home in the Houston area (in December), and then again to Austin last week (after I made the hitch adjustments - which was better). Both were empty loads. I need to try a few more things first to see if I can reduce the sway. Triguy mentioned adding weight to the front of the trailer which I haven't tried yet since I haven't towed the trailer fully loaded yet. If that doesn't help then I'll go back and review the Equalizer instructions again or contact them directly via telephone for assistance before purchasing a different hitch. I would hate to waste the money on this hitch if it can't perform like it claims and then turn around and purchase something else more expensive hoping for better results.

Kash76 - I'm curious to see what you end up doing and what the result is. Please let us all know!

Bon Voyage - I wish I had your tow vehicle or an equivalent 3/4 ton Suburban but I found out GM stopped producing 3/4 ton Suburbans for some strange reason as of 2013 (I think). I'm an SUV person and not a pick-up truck person so it's ashamed to hear the Excursion and 3/4 ton Suburbans are no more. I'm sure the larger tires, axles, etc. would be a big help in the sway.

Again - thank you to everyone for their responses!

Pher1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
Good suggestion, Triguy.
Kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #34
Hey kbosch, can you tell me what type of sofa u have in the front...jacknife or trifold recliner? Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2014 solaire 317bhsk
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost
ibjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #35
We have the jackknife.
Kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #36
I have the trifold recliner
"Camping invloves a tent, bugs, and incliment weather. This aint camping"

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
I have the jackknife too.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #38
Great looking Solaire model. I pick my 318 up later this week. They didn't have a 317 on the lot or I probably would have gotten it. I went with a new Equalizer so i'll let you all know how it tow's the 3hrs home.

I had a Fastway E2 with my last TT and it was nice. It was only a 2pt sway system. Going to the 4pt should be even better.
TT = 2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 318TSBHK
TV = 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L V8
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #39
The three slides look awesome! Congrats to all. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk
2013 Palomino SolAire 317BHSK w/Eclipse package using a ProPride 3P Hitch
2013 Ford F-150 Ruby Red SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost w/Max Tow, e-lock, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, & Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/Load Lifter
Campers: Me, DW, DD, DS
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #40
Hey BlakeB,

Was curious how the tow went. Any sway issues? Also I noticed you have an F150. Does your truck also have the integrated sway control?