Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Securing the island in a 320RS

For those of you with a 320RS, how do you secure the island when traveling?
After strapping it down, do you lock the front wheels where they're sitting on the vinyl floor? or do you leave them unlocked?
I've been placing a carpeted caster pad under the two front wheels to prevent damage to the floor and leave them unlocked, but the pads slide out during transport.
I want to lock the wheels, but DW thinks this might cause the island to tip over during transport.
I just purchased a couple of rubber pads and will try using them on my next outing.
Debating whether or not to lock the front wheels.
No instructions on this one.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
"On the road again"

amxpress - we (my wife) locks the wheels and uses the tie-downs. We've noticed a small indentation on the vinyl floor once we unhook and move the island - but within a half-hour, that indentation is completely gone. That Beaufloor seems to be a very resilient material.

We've never had the cart move or tip over whatsoever during transport.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

We strap the island, turn the wheels towards the slides & lock them, Maybe, now that you have ideas flowing, putting the soft gel insoles (or gel heel cups for feet) for shoes under the wheels won't be a bad idea. We also run a strap thu the drawer handles to keep things intake for Just in Case protection.
Barpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

We turn it so the end with the slideout drawer is towards the couch and then run the strap around the bottom on top of the casters and chinch it down. Sometimes lock the wheels and sometimes not, have had NO problems. I bought a 10 foot ratchet strap for this cause the plastic snaps on the factory one wouldn't stay connected- i feel much safer with the ratchet strap.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

When our 320 RS was delivered to the dealer I noticed this indentation on the flooring and asked the dealer to fix it. I think it was a permanent dent from all the bouncing from Indiana to Texas. Then put some sort of filler and stained it to match the dark wood grain floor. The dealer service department gave me a piece of scrap carpet that pretty closely matches the carpet in the trailer. I cut it to be just larger than the size of the island for the entire island to sit on. Then we lock all four wheels with the wheels facing front to back of the trailer (not side to side as some have said) and tighten the straps. We have been out on several weekend trips, a trip of about 1100 miles roundtrip and another one of about 2000 miles roundtrip and our island doesn't appear to have moved around at all. The only upgrade I'm thinking of doing is to replace the piece of carpet with one that has a rubberized backing just to make sure it can't slide around, but so far it hasn't.
vcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

vcalder -good idea, but I'm thinking carpet squares. When you get to the campground, then place the carpet squares at the door to catch dirt & stones from being tracked thru the living area.
Our camper is back to the technician to fix the slide......hopefully Bryan will have the pendant light to us before our next trip on the 29th. This trip I'm going to figure out the convection oven. Does anyone have the tv hooked to the surround sound? any tips for me on this?
happy camping all!
Barpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

We -ok I -- roll the island back to the couch lock one or two wheels in whatever position they happen to be in. Secure the island with both straps -- one thought the door handle--- bungee cord the drawer to the front cabinet. No ever moved or dented that I have seen. Usually the first thing that is released after opening slides!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpat View Post
vcalder -good idea, but I'm thinking carpet squares. When you get to the campground, then place the carpet squares at the door to catch dirt & stones from being tracked thru the living area.
Our camper is back to the technician to fix the slide......hopefully Bryan will have the pendant light to us before our next trip on the 29th. This trip I'm going to figure out the convection oven. Does anyone have the tv hooked to the surround sound? any tips for me on this?
happy camping all!
Carpet squares are a great idea. I didn't think of those. 2 - 2 ft squares would be the perfect fit to ride beneath the island since it is 47" long by, what, about 18" wide at the base. I also like the suggestions by others about turning the island around so the pantry door can't come open. I guess that would require repositioning the strap hooks in the underside of the island counter top.

I just took my Columbus to the dealer this morning with a punch list that included the TV to surround sound connection. I asked them to check out why you can't get sound via the HDMI cable, because that carries both HD video and audio. I was just using regular RCA cables but notice there is also a fiber optic audio jack. They told me that's what they usually do. The HDMI is supposed to work but it doesn't.
vcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

We put a 5 X 8 area rug in the living room and now we turn the island so the slide out drwaer is towards the couch ( cause it came open once) and i bought a 10 foot 1 inch ratchet strap and use that to hold the island in place by running the strap just above the casters>>> works really great and no marks on the floor.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcalder

Carpet squares are a great idea. I didn't think of those. 2 - 2 ft squares would be the perfect fit to ride beneath the island since it is 47" long by, what, about 18" wide at the base. I also like the suggestions by others about turning the island around so the pantry door can't come open. I guess that would require repositioning the strap hooks in the underside of the island counter top.

I just took my Columbus to the dealer this morning with a punch list that included the TV to surround sound connection. I asked them to check out why you can't get sound via the HDMI cable, because that carries both HD video and audio. I was just using regular RCA cables but notice there is also a fiber optic audio jack. They told me that's what they usually do. The HDMI is supposed to work but it doesn't.
We used a digital audio cable from the surround sound to the direct tv receiver and have surround sound now.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #11

Does everyone's island position one wheel right on top of the floor register in front of the sofa when strapped in? We have a broken fin on the vent now. Just added to the punch list for our dealer to address.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #12

My island when positioned for travel splits the floor vent, a wheel on each side.
I install a rubber foot pad under the front wheels to not only stabilize it, but to pervent indentations on the floor. So far, so good.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs