Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Sewer Valve Question 32RCTS or any rig.

I have a 2013 Sabre 32RCTS. 2 Grey tanks/1 Black Tank/1 Sewer outlet.

Question: I dump and let ALL tanks drain well, I close ALL valves as one should, I cap the outlet. I drive to my next camping spot and when I remove the sewer cap 9 out of 10 times I get about 2 cups of grey water spilling out of the outlet. This was one of my complaints to my dealer about my shakedown cruise. The dealer told me he contacted Palamino and was told this is normal on the 32RCTS. My dealer has done a great job of fixing some 35 punch list items and I am very happy with the service. I was just wondering if anybody has ever had this experience? I never had this happen to my Jayco travel trailer. I am concerned if I ever dump JUST my black tank ( I know I should do Grey as well but lets say I do not have enough Grey to dump) that the discharge will be lat thing I dumped.

Any input is appreciated.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post

Question: I dump and let ALL tanks drain well, I close ALL valves as one should, I cap the outlet. I drive to my next camping spot and when I remove the sewer cap 9 out of 10 times I get about 2 cups of grey water spilling out of the outlet. This was one of my complaints to my dealer about my shakedown cruise. The dealer told me he contacted Palamino and was told this is normal on the 32RCTS. My dealer has done a great job of fixing some 35 punch list items and I am very happy with the service. I was just wondering if anybody has ever had this experience? I never had this happen to my Jayco travel trailer. I am concerned if I ever dump JUST my black tank ( I know I should do Grey as well but lets say I do not have enough Grey to dump) that the discharge will be lat thing I dumped.

Any input is appreciated.
I'm up to 33 nights since March 9th of this year. With at least 8 more planned, by the end of November. I have not had this problem, at all. When I take the cap off to connect the sewer hose, I may have a couple drips but that is it.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Carknocker Family

Had the same problem with our grey tank. Had a shaving hung up in the valve....took valve apart and removed. Look at your valve handle and see if it is closed completely.
Attached Images

2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
I'm up to 33 nights since March 9th of this year. With at least 8 more planned, by the end of November. I have not had this problem, at all. When I take the cap off to connect the sewer hose, I may have a couple drips but that is it.
50 nights of camping this year and 40 last year in my Sabre (different model, of course). I haven't experienced this either.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

I have some water come out also but not nearly 2 cups worth...not a problem enough for me to get into right now.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

2014 salem 32 bhds camped 4 times, this happened four times.maybe a cup. plus a few in the yard while messing with tanks. I think ill take em apart and see what is the problem
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Palaminos response to the question

"As far as the grey tank drain it is possible to have some come out even after you think it is completely empty. I would not be alarmed for a fair amount to come out. There is lots of conditions that effect this like a low spot in the tank, unit not being exactly level when the tank is dumped. Also when dumping your tanks make sure there is a hose available and spray water up in the termination pipe when finished so the valves can get cleaned off as much as possible."

Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Im thinking unless trailer is perfectly level, and your tank bottom is perfectly flat and is sloped to the valve, you will have some residual water on the bottom that after time to drain and once tilted to the drain more excessively that will add up. The larger the holding tank the more surface area for this to happen.

Try rinsing out your coffee pot then dump it out, wait about 5 seconds and then dump again- you will probably get another 1/2 teaspoon or so out. Same thing but bigger area in holding tank.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post

Question: I dump and let ALL tanks drain well, I close ALL valves as one should, I cap the outlet. I drive to my next camping spot and when I remove the sewer cap 9 out of 10 times I get about 2 cups of grey water spilling out of the outlet.
It may be due to the extra piping and layout to connect the two grey water tanks. I don't think that amount is anything to worry about in IMHO.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #10

It happens every time on mine (a cup or two) and I only have one grey tank. It looks like what is happening on mine is that the piping doesn't have much of a slope to it and the last bit drains very slowly...just a trickle. Once it is capped off, that trickle eventually ends up at the cap (lowest point). What you probably have is just leftover from the piping and not a leaking valve. I wouldn't worry. If a "black only" dump concerns you, I'd just backflush it a little with a hose when you're done.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

I have the little drainage as well but nothing to cry over. The only issue I have in regards to this is the end cap gets a suction on the pipe almost to the point that sometimes I think I would get it to turn and come off. I may try a little plumbers grease around the seal to lubricate things.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I have the little drainage as well but nothing to cry over. The only issue I have in regards to this is the end cap gets a suction on the pipe almost to the point that sometimes I think I would get it to turn and come off. I may try a little plumbers grease around the seal to lubricate things.
Sound like your tank vent is stuck closed, mine has one under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink.
A&P
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

My bathroom gray tank does the same thing. The Kitchen one doesn't. But, the Bathroom and Black tank handles go into the underbelly and contol valves remotely. The kitchen gate is separate and is right at the connection. So, I attribute it like others have, may be some residual in the pipe that gets jostled to the cap by the next time I'm ready to take it off. At least it isn't sewage. Always smells like soap or shampoo from the shower thank goodness!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #14

If there is significant distance between valve and outlet, it may be possible that the drain pipe is not completely drained before you replace the outlet cap. Leave the cap off and let it drain.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Several units over the years and never had that happen.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #16

Great input

Thanks everybody. great input. I think I will try to figure out which grey tank it is by only dumping one of them and going onto my next spot, and seeing if I have any residual. I can always dump tank 2 when I arrive at camp. Not going to worry too much about this base on all your input.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #17

I had this happen with my old camper but only after several years of use. I suspect the valve seals were breaking down. Interestingly, I found a sizable wood shaving come out of my tank last week on my new camper (just took delivery a couple of weeks ago.)
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #18

Tank vent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
Sound like your tank vent is stuck closed, mine has one under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink.

You wouldn't have a picture of this tank vent would you? And is it easily accessible and how do you unstick it?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #19

Put an end of line dump valve on and you won't have any drainage until you hook up your sewer lines. I winterized the 5er a couple of weeks ago, in my driveway. Poured about 4 gallons of water into the black tank via the toilet. When I opened the black tank valve, there wasn't much that came out until I raised the front end up past being level.
Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
You wouldn't have a picture of this tank vent would you? And is it easily accessible and how do you unstick it?
it is on a stand pipe under each sink in my camper. 2 " in diameter the top is vented with a soft silicone diaphragm in it Similar to that of a respirator. It is threaded on.

Amazon.com: Lasalle Bristol 74PV240BB Vent Valve: Automotive
A&P