Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Wow, good for you joelek! I would have done the same thing. I am in Ontario and was prepared to buy in the state of New York in Buffalo at a dealer. Their price was actually a bit better than we got, but we wanted to trade ours in. Our dealer (in particular the Sales Manager not our sales gal) initially did not want to come down in price until we drove off with no hint of returning and within 30 minutes my cell was ringing. I think our sales girl really wanted the sale, they may have been playing a game, at this point I don't care. We got what we thought was a good price even though we came up $2,000 from what we originally wanted to spend. Once I factored in all the options we picked (and we picked most of them), we decided the price was fair.
So, yes, I am with you. If they want to deal fairly fine, and if not, it's worth the drive to ______.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Trailer Trash

They dealer in MN was doing their job and working the deal fairly. They were turning inventory, are the ONLY dealer in MN and stuck to their guns. They did not need to come done in price because if I didn't buy their unit, somebody else would.

As far as the heebee jeebies of ooooh be scared if you buy somewere else because the dealer close to you wont do the warranty work..........it's complete nonsense and really nothing to worry about. The out of state dealer you bought from will hook you up with other dealers close to your home to do the warranty work.

Another option is to have a service tech come out to were your RV is. You don't even have to pull it from it's RV park spot. You will have to pay the service tech's trip charge, but it may be worth your while to pay 50-100 bucks to have the tech come out to you. This makes sense for those in permanant seasonal spots. Once your rig is setup, you don't EVER want to move it.

Want to find a mobile RV tech, call RV parks/resort and ask them if they have a mobile tech that services their RV park/resort. It's a word of mouth thing and they typically don't advertise as the techs have more work than he can handle.

Another way to find them is craigslist under services. Just go to services, click on title only, then type in RV. You then have to read through the adds to find the guys. Here is an example for Minneapols craigslist.
minneapolis all services classifieds "rv" - craigslist
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #23

I can see why a dealer may stick to his price on an item in inventory, but not on an order. His floorplan cost should be nil or none. But I hear reports that they are selling well everywhere as they are seen as a great value, so they may start getting less and less flexible on price, until that value proposition is eliminated.

I wonder if most orders are optioned up. If you really want it "right now" and take one out of inventory, then you have to compromise on how it's equipped, but either the immediacy, or a great price would make you accept it. But if you have to wait anyways, then might as well get it "perfect" how you want it spec'd.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #24

So after 9 weeks of owning our new Columbus it has been in the shop 5 weeks. Today I was told that they just now had to order the A/C because the grommet "fix" did not work. Since the Ac's are on back order it should be another month. I am beyond pissed at the dealer but more the manufacturer. I don't understand how anyone would think this is acceptable.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #25
Oklahoma Proud

Man that is rough. I think I would be more than a little upset and probably b.... to any and everyone at the dealer or factory reps.

Bet a different dealer gets your biz next time. Hope it gets better for you soon!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #26
Just Love to Camp

funkyJunk,
I have had about the same feelings as you. Although we have a XLR Thunderbolt we had had numerous problems to many for me to list on your thread. Still trying to get everything worked out. I am disappointed at FR also not my dealer. My dealer too has bent over backwards to keep us camping and fix our problems. We did just get a letter for FR extending our warranty. I had to go 2 up the change in the warranty department but got it done. Good luck!! It is a shame when you pat 70k - 90k for a camper that look great but just simple things the time wasn't put into!!!!
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #27

Our Forester has been in the shop since September 4th. Parts on order since July 7th. They say it is because we added more the the parts list, but the items still not fixed are the ones from the first day we picked up in June.
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #28

It's just unbelievable it takes twice as long to fix it than it does to build it from scratch. And I was promised before I purchased the unit that all of the problems had been remedied from the factory and I had nothing to worry about. Now I won't even be able to use it until next year and will have no idea if everything has truly been fixed.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #29

That is sad. I hope to get ours next week, I would think 8 weeks for a kitchen faucet is plenty of time, know we replaced the cheap shower in an hour after our trip to Wal-Mart while on the road.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #30

SO I talked to my technician today and apparently after 6 weeks all they have done is come up with "work arounds".
I started going through my list to see what they did to know it was fixed before I have to take a day off to go get it and this is how it went:

Problem: The blind beside the dinette will not go down with the cushions in place.
Fix: Lay the cushions down. So we can't use the dinette and have the blinds down at the same time......

Problem: Auto level legs fall out when you pull the pin. Needs longer legs.
Fix: Put blocks under it. If that's the case I would have saved a few thousand dollars on the auto level or not even bought the camper.

Problem: Horrible propane smell when furnace turned on. Even after 2 days running. This is not a burn in smell.
Fix: Let it run for a few days and it will be fine. SO I guess more propane fixes the propane leak.

Problem: Refrigerator fan is very loud.
Fix: They all sound like that. This is my fifth camper and NONE of them sound like that.

This is the point where I finally just hung up. I have 27 items on that list and the first 4 that I questioned had not been done. They are simply making excuses.

I just want it fixed so I can sell this piece of crap and move on.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #31

That is sad, Still do not have ours fixed, checked on it last week, still waiting on the kitchen faucet and two more items. 6 weeks and counting. Come on Forester, you could at least extend our warranty's since you have had it more than I have had it.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #32

Funky,

First, let me say I feel your pain. Having issues with such a large purchase really sucks.

I think some of your items are just design flaws and not really build quality issues. If the legs are too short on your RV, then they are probably too short on everyone's. I'd certainly try to get longer legs, or a different kind of pin, if that will fix the issue. This is something I'd definately talk with Palomino directly about and not the idiots at the dealership.

You may want to consider culling your list a bit - is a shade contacting a cushion really a big deal to you, or are you just being picky? You may have to prioritize a bit to get the important stuff addressed. You credibility is enhanced if you're not pickin' nits.

There are some posts on noisy refrigerators. These fridges that are in a slide don't vent thru the roof like "normal" RVs. They have fans to blow out thru the side vent for cooling. They've just selected noisy fans I guess. There are some posts on this issue where people have changed them out for quiet fans. I'm nervous about getting a fridge in a slide, never had one before. If these blow all the time, probably does a number on your battery. Others have posted temp issues inside their fridges, probably related to this fan/venting issue. I suppose these fans could also be put on a switch, but that may cause a cooling problem in the summer months. Again, your dealer isn't going to mod your fridge to solve this issue. They only know to replace if the vendor allows it. Since this is design, I'd talk with Palomino directly about it.

The propane issue is something I'd be most concerned about. Does it smell like a leak, or is it that smell of burning propane? Some people are really sensitive to this smell (non-vented gas fireplaces have this issue), so this may be another design issue that you'll have to mod to address. The furnace I have in my TT makes a weak burning smell for a bit, then I either get accustomed to it, or it goes away. I'm on my second season and it's still makes the smell. I don't find it objectionable, just noticeable.

I'd strongly suggest you contact Palomino directly and see if you can get another dealer to help you. Sounds like this guy isn't interested.

Good luck and keep us posted.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #33

miniature nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post

SO I think we may be taking it back. There are just far too many things going wrong on a $75k camper for me to think it will all be OK.

man oh man
after reading your story
it sure ain't love
if you can take it back
and
be back to where you were with no money lose
I would have done that yesterday

note
a new rig should not be
a miniature nightmare

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #34
Phat Phrog

My husband and I are purchasing the 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12, and are scheduled to pick it up next weekend. We will be traveling from Missouri to Ohio. We have an amazing sales rep who has been working side by side with us. Since we have never seen the unit in person, he has been more than happy to send me dozens of photos, and answeres all our questions! We paid for the second air conditioner to be installed in the bedroom, and FR is sending them a window so they can install a window in the main door to the coach. It comes with a peep hole, but I preferred a window.
After reading all these posts, I am so nervous now. Our dealer has on sight camping so that new buyers can camp for free and try out their new rigs. If any issues, the service department is there to resolve them.
We have the slide that houses the refrigerator and the stove and microwave, and I sure hope all goes well with that design. I am in love with this RV - and am so excited to go see her in person Nd bring her home! I hope I can bring some happy updates to this forum.
Funkyjunk I am just sick to my stomach for you and your wife! I am waiting to hear how everything turns out!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
Just Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
My husband and I are purchasing the 2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12, and are scheduled to pick it up next weekend. We will be traveling from Missouri to Ohio. We have an amazing sales rep who has been working side by side with us. Since we have never seen the unit in person, he has been more than happy to send me dozens of photos, and answeres all our questions! We paid for the second air conditioner to be installed in the bedroom, and FR is sending them a window so they can install a window in the main door to the coach. It comes with a peep hole, but I preferred a window.
After reading all these posts, I am so nervous now. Our dealer has on sight camping so that new buyers can camp for free and try out their new rigs. If any issues, the service department is there to resolve them.
We have the slide that houses the refrigerator and the stove and microwave, and I sure hope all goes well with that design. I am in love with this RV - and am so excited to go see her in person Nd bring her home! I hope I can bring some happy updates to this forum.
Funkyjunk I am just sick to my stomach for you and your wife! I am waiting to hear how everything turns out!

Welcome to the XLR family. We have a 386x12 2012 and have had a lot of problems. I am hoping for your sake and others in the family that the build team was just having a bad day. there is a member that I know just bought a 385x12 he it MightyMike. if you want to pm me I will tell you more. Also MightyMike is pretty good about PM also if you have questions. Good luck and Happy camping!
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Funky,

First, let me say I feel your pain. Having issues with such a large purchase really sucks.

I think some of your items are just design flaws and not really build quality issues. If the legs are too short on your RV, then they are probably too short on everyone's. I'd certainly try to get longer legs, or a different kind of pin, if that will fix the issue. This is something I'd definately talk with Palomino directly about and not the idiots at the dealership.

You may want to consider culling your list a bit - is a shade contacting a cushion really a big deal to you, or are you just being picky? You may have to prioritize a bit to get the important stuff addressed. You credibility is enhanced if you're not pickin' nits.

There are some posts on noisy refrigerators. These fridges that are in a slide don't vent thru the roof like "normal" RVs. They have fans to blow out thru the side vent for cooling. They've just selected noisy fans I guess. There are some posts on this issue where people have changed them out for quiet fans. I'm nervous about getting a fridge in a slide, never had one before. If these blow all the time, probably does a number on your battery. Others have posted temp issues inside their fridges, probably related to this fan/venting issue. I suppose these fans could also be put on a switch, but that may cause a cooling problem in the summer months. Again, your dealer isn't going to mod your fridge to solve this issue. They only know to replace if the vendor allows it. Since this is design, I'd talk with Palomino directly about it.

The propane issue is something I'd be most concerned about. Does it smell like a leak, or is it that smell of burning propane? Some people are really sensitive to this smell (non-vented gas fireplaces have this issue), so this may be another design issue that you'll have to mod to address. The furnace I have in my TT makes a weak burning smell for a bit, then I either get accustomed to it, or it goes away. I'm on my second season and it's still makes the smell. I don't find it objectionable, just noticeable.

I'd strongly suggest you contact Palomino directly and see if you can get another dealer to help you. Sounds like this guy isn't interested.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the post, wincrasher.

The blind is about 8 inches above the bottom of the window so no, it's not being picky. We can't sit and eat our meals in privacy when we are close to neighbors.

I've never had a refrigerator in a slide before so maybe that's it. Although I have worked on computers since they came into existence and the fans they use (Same 12 volt as computer) are never this loud. They should fix this, not me. I know there is a fix and I think Dometic even has a repair for it.

I have smelled the burn off/spent propane before and this is not it. It usually smells that way for several hours, smokes a little and then goes away. This lasted 24 hours. Neither one of us wanted to stay in the camper another minute.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #37
Phat Phrog

Hi TheFordes! I saw your earlier post and saw you too had the XLR! You have a beautiful unit! Thank you for the PM invite! I would love a heads up and any helpful information you can offer on what you experienced and how it may help us to be proactive in looking for possible problems. I found an extensive PDI inventory list to use as a guide when we go to pick up the unit. Heaven help me if we bring home anything like what Funkyjunk is going through.....as I was the one who fell in love with the FR XLR and convinced my husband to upgrade!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #38

I have a Columbus 365RL on order, and am going to the factory next week to see it being built. It also scares the crap out of me to hear all these issues. I retired a few months ago and have always dreamed about having a nice fifth wheel to call my second home. We are having ours delivered to Florida to spend this winter in at a RV park. I don't have a tow vehicle as of now, so if any serious issues arise I'll have a real problem. I bought it in Ohio at RVW. They say there is no problem getting warranty work done with their network of facilities throughout the area. we'll see. The issues that some people are having just should not occur, at least not as widespread. I'll also keep you posted.
To C.C. does all this negative concerns mean anything to FR or Palomino, or is it just business as usual.?
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRROST View Post
I have a Columbus 365RL on order, and am going to the factory next week to see it being built. It also scares the crap out of me to hear all these issues. I retired a few months ago and have always dreamed about having a nice fifth wheel to call my second home. We are having ours delivered to Florida to spend this winter in at a RV park. I don't have a tow vehicle as of now, so if any serious issues arise I'll have a real problem. I bought it in Ohio at RVW. They say there is no problem getting warranty work done with their network of facilities throughout the area. we'll see. The issues that some people are having just should not occur, at least not as widespread. I'll also keep you posted.
To C.C. does all this negative concerns mean anything to FR or Palomino, or is it just business as usual.?
I would seriously reconsider. I wondered what would happen if I was a full timer and didn't have a place to live for 6 weeks (or more).

I was promised over and over that the problems had been resolved from the factory and I would have no issues.

My dealer said they have had the same problems out of every unit they have sold (and they are a major dealer). So much so that they have one of the "higher ups" from the manufacturer coming to discuss the issues later in the month.

Some people have had good results on here but I promise there isn't one person with a Columbus over 2 months that hasn't had to have it in for service.

Some of my issues were "livable" at first but then some made me feel my family was at risk.

Good luck in your decision. I honestly hope it works out for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk
I would seriously reconsider. I wondered what would happen if I was a full timer and didn't have a place to live for 6 weeks (or more).

I was promised over and over that the problems had been resolved from the factory and I would have no issues.

My dealer said they have had the same problems out of every unit they have sold (and they are a major dealer). So much so that they have one of the "higher ups" from the manufacturer coming to discuss the issues later in the month.

Some people have had good results on here but I promise there isn't one person with a Columbus over 2 months that hasn't had to have it in for service.

Some of my issues were "livable" at first but then some made me feel my family was at risk.

Good luck in your decision. I honestly hope it works out for you.
Just because you have had issues doesn't mean everybody that buys the same make is going to have issues.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote