Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Slide issue Columbus

My 2013 Columbus 295 rl has issues with kitchen slide jumping cogs. Lippert advisory 0065 advises a field fix. To my surprise the field fix has already been applied and the bracket is bent plus the washer and wear tab are badly worn. My dealer tells that they did not apply the field fix in 2013 when the slide failed days after purchase and it is common for the factory to add the washer .? Also their solution is to add another washer. Has anyone had similar experience?
Oops image is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171016_110956_HDR.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	154418  
jkdbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Weld Splatter

I had a similar problem (not jumping teeth) but a weld splatter in the outside channel had eaten up the white spacer to the point it fell out. This allowed the inside cogged channel to sort of tilt up and the end of its travel and when the slide tried to go back in, the channel edge did a hard stop against the weld splatter. (hard to describe) I do have pictures. We had to jack up the slide, remover the slide cogged rail, replace the spacer (which Lippert would NOT supply for free), grind down the splatter and reassemble.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

Slide fix

You were correct with the washer fix. Though your channel looks to be bowed out so possible it can still skip. I have heated the channel back to straight and welded a piece of angle iron across where it bowed to keep t from bending again. Problem solved for me, good luck to you. Pfgwarwck1@aol.com
Justired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Slide Skip

Just picked up my trailer from my local dealer who applied the fix as described by Justired. I had reached out to Forest River right after I posted here and received excellent advice. Fred Yoder at Forest River Rockwood suggested the plate weld but also forwarded me to the Palamino/Columbus plant where I had the service tech validate with my local rv dealer.
FYI the Lippert field fix is exactly that a field fix to get you home, where the permanent fix (plate weld) should be applied. Leaves me wondering why the dealership that originally fixed the slide under warranty did the field fix rather than the permanent fix. Oh yes when I spoke to them at the beginning of this saga they said that their fix was to add another washer. Sheez.
jkdbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #5

Had the same problem with mine, first day of a two week trip. I was able to push in and out on the slide to get through vacation. When I got home I flattened out the top and welded a plate on. Works better now than it has the 4 years that I had it. I also did the other side just to prevent it happening over there. I am posting before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A17F81B5-02AC-427F-A670-EF85EDD6A195.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	155278   Click image for larger version

Name:	969D719E-9F69-4724-8873-96484279385B.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	155279  

2013 Rockwood 8289WS
2017 F350 6.7 PS extra cab long bed