Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Slide out issue

We picked up our new 320RS yesterday. Everything seems to be good so far, except when the dealer tech retracted the dinette side slide, it seems to catch on something about 1 foot out on the rear upper corner. The tech thought the problem was due to a drain tube that was up a bit too high (which he repositioned) or that the RV was not level and raised too high in the front.

I'm hoping this is fixed but just wondering if anyone has had this issue and what was the fix?

Thanks!
edenjw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #2

Did the slide pull all the way in? The slides on the 320RS are flush floor slides, which mean that they have to raise and lower in their travel. They can appear to snag, or hesitate on their track of normal travel. If the slide seals tight against the wall of the RV when closed, and sits flat when extended, it is probably working correctly.

If it is out of adjustment, it will appear to be moving in "crooked". That is usually a condition easily corrected.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Yes, the slide would come in all the way and appear flush to the side of the unit. The 320RS was not level when they initially closed the slide and the front was up quite a bit. After the tech lowered the front of the RV so that it was more level, the slide did not 'catch' about 10 inches out at the top left corner as it had before. The tech could not find anything that was snagging the slide other than possibly a drain tube.
We will see it the issue happens again, but just wanted to see if others had the problem whenever the unit was not level and slightly elevated in the front.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Yep, people sometimes forget that when you put out a slide on any RV, you are creating a giant hole in the structure, especially while it is deploying. It's always best to be as level as possible in both directions while using the slides.

And you want to avoid putting any extra stress on the slide mechanism itself.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

I'm surprised a technician would have extended a slide without the unit being level. The force of leverage is pretty substantial, as these slide outs are not small, or light!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

That is a good point! The slides are larger than our last RV, so I can see how having the unit level would be important. Hopefully, that was the cause and we will not have an issue down the road.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to ByronCR Send a message via AIM to ByronCR Send a message via MSN to ByronCR Send a message via Yahoo to ByronCR Send a message via Skype™ to ByronCR
I had something similar happen when I had to bring in the slides when the RV was not level. It was not as smooth as it should have been and was very "jerky" but I told myself it was just because it was not level. As soon as I got home, I leveled out the RV and put the slides out and brought them back in about 5 times to double check. After doing that, I will not put out my slides or bring them in unless I am leveled out (unless its a drastic situation).
ByronCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

I also had a problem with my 320 slide last Feb when I brought it home. Slide on drivers side went out and would not come back in straight. Dealer sent mechanic to my house to bring in the slide. I brought it to dealer for repair and dealer called Lippert. Lippert sent mechanic to dealer and placed shims in the gear mechanism. No trouble since.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote