Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
When we bought our GT, the owner had left the slides out all the time it wasn't actually on the road. Where he parked it, the living room/dinette wall faced south. When we did our pre-purchase walk-round, I noticed the front edge of the slide topper was frayed.

We later found out that the whole topper had rotted out, probably from solar exposure. There was only the netting substrate left. As a result, we got a major rain-water incursion. Fortunately it only afftected the overhead cabinets in the slide-out, thanks to a large package of table napkins that soaked most of it up.

We did get mold in the cabinets as the weather warmed up and I ended up removing them and building new cabinets. As a result, we keep the slides retracted unless we're on the road or someone is staying at our house and spending overnight hours in the RV.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
I have my unit parked under cover with 30 amp shore power. I plan to leave the slides in for winter (I do now). I am also thinking about leaving the heat on (around 45) as well as leaving the heaters on the tanks on. I do plan to drain the water from the system and the water heater.

We live in the north GA mtns where it snows, ices and typically is below freezing on days and weeks on end. My problem is the period of time between mid November and Christmas as we will be in Tampa followed by Disney for a week before returning around the 3rd of January.

Anybody have any suggestions or experience in the winterization area?

BT Ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
If you don't close the slides you are taking a big big chance that the seals will go bad and then you will have a mess on your hands.

jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote