Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Slide Positioning

Last year while in Oregon we had a slide topper rip because of the strong winds. We are currently in Wyoming and again have some bad winds. When we arrived yesterday we set up but did not put the slides out until late afternoon when the wind died down. Now the winds are starting up again. I closed the bedroom slide.

What I would your opinion on is leaving the slides about a third of the way extended. This takes the sail out of the toppers but gives us room to move around. I was wondering from a mechanical and support position if this would be ok. We would make sure we did not walk in the slides when they were in this position. I just don't know how well the slide floors are supported when not fully in or out.

Any knowledge or opinions on this subject are welcome.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Less than ideal-

If you have a Schwintek slide (horizontal rails on the outside of the slide) they are supposed to be opened and closed completely. If you partially open them, the motors can become out of sync with each other and cause problems. I am experiencing a problem with mine now that might be a result of doing just that.

Also, slides WILL leak water unless open or closed completely.

I've never used slide toppers, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but we're in our 10th year of using slides and I haven't wished I had them. I didn't realize that they would be susceptible to high winds like an awning is.

campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Not Schwintek

I should have stated that I do not have Shwintek slides. Yes, you can rip toppers, look around some campgrounds and you will eventually see some starting to tear on the ends. I like the toppers for keeping out rain and debris and perhaps some heat off my fridge which is in a slide but worry they will rip again in high winds. Not sure if I would get them again but sweet not cleaning slide tops. Currently in Wyoming and campground states to close awning when leaving the rig because high winds can come up any time,so today when we leave for the day I will also close all slides.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
I do not have Toppers on my current 5-er, but to me it's no option - bringing slides in and out due to wind.
I had them on a couple Class A's over the years and had no wind issues (did quite a bit of camping in West Texas). I would consider this a warranty-quality issue.
Best of Luck to you...
DruR is offline   Reply With Quote