Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Slide Toppers

We have a Sabre 32RCTS on order and would like to have Slide toppers installed. They are not listed as a option.

Does any one know if they are availble from the factory?

We have a quote from the dealer to install them when delivered, but, I'm thinking they may be a better fit/match or even less exensive from the factory.

comments??
Thanks
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

From my understanding, they are less expensive when installed by the factory.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That is interesting why they don't list them as an option. I checked a few of the other FR 5w sites and most (not all) seem to lit the optional slide out awning toppers. I would suggest that you call Palomino directly to get an answer. My understanding is that the factory is much less expensive than an after-market install.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Is the sabre fiberglass or alum. We are having them factory installed on our sandpiper. All four slides.
karznromz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karznromz View Post
Is the sabre fiberglass or alum. We are having them factory installed on our sandpiper. All four slides.
fiberglass meaning the side construction ? if so fiberglass
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

I'd contact forest river. I got to see a build cost sheet and it had slide toppers on it with the dealer cost listed. Otherwise I would not have known. My dealer ordered it for us with them on the build sheet. Minimal mark up. Got all four installed for 900 and change.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #7

Thanks all for the Slide topper info. I've been checking it out and like everything else in the RV world, I'm finding many options and price ranges.

Any suggestions on brand and features.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #8

I don't know the brand. There was a forest river 5th wheel on the lot that had them and they looked nice. I thought 4 slide topper awnings for 900 was a bargain. I hear they help with keeping the trailer cool along with the protective aspect. I can't believe for a minute they are not an option for your trailer. See if your sales guy can call the rep. If not, he may be hoping for the up sell at the dealer. Our salesman called the regional forest river sales rep on a couple unlisted options while we were sitting in his office. One was the fireplace. The other was whether the spot for the outside kitchen stayed if you opted to not have the kitchen. We knew you gained the space back inside, but the dealer did not. Sometimes the salesmen know less than the customers on these rvs. Good luck.