Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Slideout awning.

I was wondering who has installed an after market slide out awning because when we park under trees we worry about branches being on top on it and its almost impossible to see.
jellybeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeene View Post
I was wondering who has installed an after market slide out awning because when we park under trees we worry about branches being on top on it and its almost impossible to see.
Many of us have. Do a Search for "slide-out topper" and you'll find several threads on same.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

I got some Christmas cash and was seriously thinking about a slide topper. Then I got to thinking a collapsible ladder and a rechargeable leaf blower is a lot cheaper. For the difference in price I think I can go up and down and clean the roof before we leave camp a lot of times.

My local dealer quoted me almost $900 bucks to install one. Even if I buy one and try to do it myself, it would still run about $500. Don't get me wrong they are nice to have and look great. But I'll use the cash for other things like upgrading the jack knife love seat.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeene View Post
Yes, many of us have installed one, and they're worth every penny of their cost, ... installed mine solo, so it can be done, but it will sure go better with a little help, ... you're post shows you understand the reasons and advantage of the topper, ... go for it, you won't regret it, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I got some Christmas cash and was seriously thinking about a slide topper. Then I got to thinking a collapsible ladder and a rechargeable leaf blower is a lot cheaper. For the difference in price I think I can go up and down and clean the roof before we leave camp a lot of times.

My local dealer quoted me almost $900 bucks to install one. Even if I buy one and try to do it myself, it would still run about $500. Don't get me wrong they are nice to have and look great. But I'll use the cash for other things like upgrading the jack knife love seat.....

I did the ladder and leaf blower as well... works great!
Beermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #6

I did the ladder and leaf blower for years then broke down and installed 4 Slide Toppers on my last 5er. Did all 4 of them myself with a little pulling help from the DW. They are easy to install if the rail is already installed but they are pricey just for the topper(s) themselves. If you do them yourself do a lot of research to make sure you order the correct size and hardware/brackets. After all said and done it was worth it to me. Kept the heat, pine needles, droppings, etc off the slide roofs and one less thing to do when packing up to leave.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide