Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Smell from Sink/shower drain in bathroom Sabre 32BHOK-6

I'm getting a sewer gas smell coming up through the drains in the bathroom. When I went looking, I discovered neither have p-traps. Both drains interconnect in front of a Hepvo valve under the base of the shower. I'm assuming this valve isn't doing its job. We have to keep the stoppers in the drains.. Anyone else having issues?

My other question is that if I pull out the Hepvo valve and replace it with a p-trap (which would mean both the sink and the shower share ONE p-trap), would that work?
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard of a Hepvo valve...had to look it up. The easiest solution would be to replace it with a new one, but if you want to plumb in a p-trap instead, that would work.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Another thought...you should be able to remove the Hepvo valve (threaded both ends?) and see why it's not functioning. Perhaps something caught in it.

Dave

Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Another thought...you should be able to remove the Hepvo valve (threaded both ends?) and see why it's not functioning. Perhaps something caught in it.

Dave
Yeah, just a lot of disassembly of the 'basement walls' to get at it. I'd never seen a Hepvo valve before, and I'm wondering if they fail a lot. My question regarding the shared p-trap is because I've never seen a shared one except for a double sink. If I'm pulling it all apart, I just wondered if modifying it to take a p-trap would be smarter...
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Judging from their marketing hype, the Hepvo valve is proven technology in other parts of the world. I'm betting that something is trapped in it not allowing it to fully close. Piping up a p-trap in the existing line may be a PITA as they change the piping run 90 degrees.

Dave