Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Trick # 4 = spotters often suck. They may be worse off at backing up then you are. IF so, they may do you more harm than good. They mix up hand signals, they are poor judges of how little you can actually turn your trailer in the tight space you have, etc. Get used to backup up all by yourself. A spotter's job is to keep you from crashing into something .

A good spotter is invaluable. I had a guy in Ft. Myers, FL, at the Red Coconut Campground, guide me through the park barely missing vehicles, campers, trees, etc. For my "site", they actually park me across 3 smaller sites, and it's not easy to accomplish. Although I consider myself quite adept, he guided me within inches of obstacles, that I could not have done alone. I swear I was going to hit a tree, take out a car, and flatten a shrub, but he told me I wouldn't and I trusted his guidance. Thank you Steve!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #12

Another little trick is to put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel when backing up. The trailer then goes in the SAME direction as your hand when backing up. Example: when your hand moves left, so does the back of the trailer.... when your hand moves to the right, the trailer also moves to the right.

Also, if you get a little catywhompus in a tight space, drive forward to straighten up the entire rig and then try backing up again more slowly.

The biggest trick is to not hit anything you can't see... hopefully your spotter will see them first and let you know before doing anything stupid!

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Trailer Trash

Those tricks are right out of school for learning how to drive a big rig 18 wheeler semi. They all apply to driiving a 5th wheel. I took the CDL class a couple years ago and it has helped me drive my RV in soooooooo many ways.

The orange cone thing...........My CDL teacher told us we had to pay him 1 dollar for every cone we hit when practicing backup up. I gave him a $20 and told him to shut up as now I have you on retainer. We both laughed are asses off and used the 20 bucks for a pizza after class.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Trick # 4 = spotters often suck. They may be worse off at backing up then you are. IF so, they may do you more harm than good. They mix up hand signals, they are poor judges of how little you can actually turn your trailer in the tight space you have, etc. Get used to backup up all by yourself. A spotter's job is to keep you from crashing into something .
I fired my sister as my spotter. She didn't understand why I didn't want her on a phone while directing me. Later she kept saying "no, turn it the other way" followed by "No, the other way" and followed again by "No, you are turning it the wrong way - turn it the other way". In my book turning is either left or right but with sis I ran out of options.

At the beach I had to parallel park between a wall and big rental trailer with slide outs. I had good spotters but non had any RV experience. They wanted to keep turning tightly and said I wouldn't jack knife but from experience I knew otherwise it was possible. They got me in a snug spot so I was happy.

Practice is the key.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #15

My spotter (DW) kept saying left or right... Sometimes confusing depending on where she was standing... is that your right or my right

Finally had to resort to nautical terms of starboard & port side... solved that problem.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Once I was able to get my DW to not worry about the direction of the TV front tires and to just tell me which way the camper needed to go, I was able to do a reasonable job of backing the 5er. Still have a ways to go, but getting better at it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #17

With a spotter it is important to keep them in your mirrors at all times so they can give you hand signals.

Now to the 21st century.

We have for many years used 2 way(walkie talkie) radios to guide me into a site. The BOSS stands behind the trailer as I slowly back in. It is not important that I see her as it is that I hear her. I get out of the truck, show her where I want my wheels and she tells me where to go. She needs to watch the blind side(the side I can't see as the trailer turns away from my mirrors). She tells me right or left, which is the way the backside needs to turn. If I can get the trailer situated properly before backing, I can usually back in, pull forward once to straighten up and then back up to the exact spot I need to be. One more time out of truck to make sure, unhook and set up.

Enjoy!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Site Team

I have read lots of good tips and suggestions. Wish I had found this site earlier but that's history now.

Before I get off my soap box I have a little more to share. While getting used to a truck didn't happen over night I did find it easier to use my own vehicle instead of borrowing. I also learned to back up slowly and make small adjustments while watching how the trailer responded. I used the one hand at the bottom at the steering wheel but find it easier to keep the other hand off so I can see where I have my steering hand positioned. Having real tow mirrows help a lot but getting out and looking is the most important tip.

I have reached a point where I can park my tt at the storage place without any help. Being a solo RVer has some challenges and not having that second set of eyes are one of them.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #19

agreed to all. if i use a spotter, their only job is to make sure i don't hit something. getting straight is my job. as a kid, i taught myself how to back up trucks/trailers with years of experience from hot wheels/matchbox/tonka toy action. then after high school, told a truck company "yeah, i can drive a big truck and back it up..not a problem". road test went well and i hired on. thanks to those toys teaching me. here's a trick though, my last 5th wheel was a tandem tow rig(don't get mad it was a Fleetwood Prowler,,i've seen the light now and am a Forest River supporter forever NOW!), try backing that up. it can be done, simple mathematics really, but the trick is to go sssslllloooowwww..slower than slow.
but now i'm glad i went to a toy hauler. this forum is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105_5529.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	20132   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_5530.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	20133   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_5531.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	20134  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
We have for many years used 2 way(walkie talkie) radios to guide me into a site.
Timex is old school - takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Used to use the walkie talkie gig at Sturgis and on the lake/fishing when cell phone coverage was very poor. If you do get cell reception, try this. Spotter calls driver on cell phone. Driver answers call and puts it on speaker phone. Cell phone goes into cup holder.

No hand signals, no need to see spotter in mirror, just tell me if back end of trailer needs to go left or right. Tell me well before I hit something. Also spotter look up for tree branchess, wires, poles etc.

I also use Timex's method of once you are close, pull ahead to straighten up truck and trailer. You can then do a final fairly straight backup into your spot as you should then be able to see it with your mirrors.

The one thing we all agreed on...........practice, practice, practice.