Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Factory Rep

This topic makes me ask this question
Should we offer the wireless back up camera ?
We did install one for a customer and he loves it
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #22

Absolutly! and if you really wanted to get fancy..figure out how to send the signal to the in dash display for those trucks with a built in backup camera.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus
This topic makes me ask this question
Should we offer the wireless back up camera ?
We did install one for a customer and he loves it
Chris
Yes, the wireless backup camera would be a great option.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #24

Ok, about the back up cameras. Those of you that have them, is the view clear enough to judge distance from objects or is the clarity kind of like looking through a fish bowl? I have thought about getting one to aid in hooking up to the hitch.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Timex is old school - takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Used to use the walkie talkie gig at Sturgis and on the lake/fishing when cell phone coverage was very poor. If you do get cell reception, try this. Spotter calls driver on cell phone. Driver answers call and puts it on speaker phone. Cell phone goes into cup holder.

No hand signals, no need to see spotter in mirror, just tell me if back end of trailer needs to go left or right. Tell me well before I hit something. Also spotter look up for tree branchess, wires, poles etc.

I also use Timex's method of once you are close, pull ahead to straighten up truck and trailer. You can then do a final fairly straight backup into your spot as you should then be able to see it with your mirrors.

The one thing we all agreed on...........practice, practice, practice.

Assuming that your technology works and the messages actually get conveyed through said technology, all will be well. However, my assumption is that unless I see my spotter and her hand signals, I cannot trust any other means. I usually assess the site and let my DW know exactly where the tires should sit and she guides me to the exact spot 99% of the time. My only problem is the distraction from looking at my sexy wife in the mirrors. I usually rush to get things set up.

I could use the cameras too.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #26

Lawd have mercy!

Stick to the topic! That's why mine stands in the back!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
Columbus 302 rs

We have installed an IP camera in the back window and I can mount my Ipad on the dashboard and see the camera, actually up to 4 cameras simultanously. Can also use with my T-mobile hotspot and view cameras over the internet for security.
If I installed the camera outside I would also have audio with my spotter.

This system is much more flexible than a simple backup camera and the range is quite awesome with my router.
I guess this really is going off topic, I am going to buy that toy truck and trailer for practice. Play both ends of the spectrum from simple to high tech.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Ok, about the back up cameras. Those of you that have them, is the view clear enough to judge distance from objects or is the clarity kind of like looking through a fish bowl? I have thought about getting one to aid in hooking up to the hitch.
Not all backup cameras are created equal and the angle does matter. Long story short I had the camera replaced on my truck mu;tiple time and finally got a really good one. This camera is really helpful for backing up and hitching solo. I still need to get out and check to see how far away I am from the coupler. I'm getting better each time I hitch up especially with telling where the ball is located in comparison to the underside of the black coupler.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #29

Mostly just takes lots of practice and I ain't totally there yet on the TT.

I've been backing mostly boat trailers for over 30 years and can actually back my 18'r into the garage caty-corner like threading a needle (barely fits) the first time without any help.... kinda just do it by feel.

However still not really comfortable with TT's after 6 months where I have a huge blind spot.... but getting a little better each time. Just don't trust myself without a spotter... the few times I had to do it by myself I got out and looked a lot!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #30

Interesting thread! I'll put in my 2 cents worth;

1) With a 5th wheel, the truck's movement has to be exaggerated, so over-do the steering and gain every inch you can

2) Get a pair of cheap 2 way radios. We got a $20 pair of FRS radios - they are tiny and the batteries last a long time. My wife doesn't really give me directions because I feel like nobody can really tell you how to back in. She just watches to make sure I don't hit anything. She does give constant feedback and takes into consideration the extra room for the slide, the placement of power, water, and sewer connection.