Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

soft floor in 2015 Columbus 5th wheel

We just bought the 365RL Palomino and noticed after about a week that the floor is very soft. It feels like we could fall through. Also seems to be getting more so after walking on it. We are full timers and concerned how this can be fixed. Any one else having same problem. Other than this problem, we really like are happy with it, but this really has us concerned.
drsnsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #2

If you are referring to the dinette slide floor, yes. I had the same problem with our 2013 Columbus 320 RS. My dealer told me, “You’re not supposed to walk on them”. I took it for an independent opinion and was told the slide span and inadequate bracing was the problem. I did the bounce test on many other fivers and did not find the same issues. Sorry that Columbus has yet to correct this short coming, two years later.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

Just read in another post that the soft floor issue was corrected in September, according to a Columbus rep. Might want to contact them and see if they can correct yours. As for the slide floor, mine was replaced with the thicker one during it's 2nd visit back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Our problem is not the slide floor but kitchen and around our island. Not sure if we should call Forest River or where we bought it.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Ask your dealer first and see if they can and will fix it. Chances are, if the floor requires replacement, it might be beyond their ability and a trip back to the factory could be in order.

Prodigy
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

BTW,
If you do contact the factory it would be Columbus, not Forest River. They have their own warranty, parts, and repair departments.

Prodigy
Old 01-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #7

Take a look at the Lippert towable chassis and note the spacing between floor supports. Remove the Water Pump and plumbing access panel in the storage compartment to see exactly what type floor is used.
Towable Chassis
AnchorsAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

I have a 2014 340RK and also have a problem with a soft floor. When it was built at the factory they somehow forgot to put in some of the floor beams. Yes, it is missing floor beams. It was worked on at a dealership last summer, but in no way is it correct. After screwing with the problem all spring, summer and fall of 2014 and not being able to use it I am now waiting for the factory to come pick it up sometime in March. Then I get to wait for them to fix it properly along with several other problems. To top it off I had to have axle springs replaced that had broken and were missing. I had to pay for the repairs and I am now waiting for them to reimburse me. This has not been a good experience at all, but I am hoping we get to use it this year.

You will have to contact Cel Lopez at Forest River who takes care of warranty claims for Columbus at 574-821-1487. He is helpful, but a little hard to get a hold of. Good luck and do not let a dealer try to fix it.

Jim
jeb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

Well we made it home from AZ, camper is at Factory, getting a new floor. The soft floor was from a water leak we had which in turn ruined the floor of camper. The fellow that looked at the camper said all the fixtures, when they were installed, were not tighten after setting them in, there is the water leak. When we called our Dealer and said we really wanted it to go back to factory and done right, he got on it and the factory called us with in days. Hope tio have it back by end of month and be back on the road.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #10

2015 295RS Columbus

we currently have a Cardinal 5th wheel. We want to down size to a Columbus 29ft.
Reading a lot about floors, leaks, etc.

Any information is helpful!
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

Usually a soft floor is water damage but your unit was so new I think many of us never thought of it.

The job to fix a floor is about as major as it gets. That simple soft floor is usually enough to send the RV to crusher.

Glad they are going to fix it for you. The factory is the best place for it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #12

This is still occurring as of August 2015, and it is being addressed by the factory. We have a 2013 320RS. YES, the factory WILL fix the soft floors. It IS a design flaw and it does not matter that if your unit is OUT of warranty. We had ours fixed in May 2015. We contacted and made ALL arrangements with the factory, took our C to the factory and picked it up four days later. This takes coordination, patience, and communication. The must weld cross members under the flooring and put new under-flooring and flooring in.
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, columbus, wheel