Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
solaire hitch weights

Hello all, looking to move to a bunkhouse trailer and the Solaire 267 and 269BHDSK's are high on the list due to their large grey water tanks and overall floor plans. One thing caught my attention, the dry hitch weight! I tow with a pretty capable F150 that totes our current RVision very well using a BlueOx Swaypro 10k, great hitch btw. The 269 is showing 955lbs of dry weight, if my math is right that's nearly 5th wheel pin weight, percentage wise. So any owners out there pulling either of these units that can share their "typical" loaded trailer tongue weights?
I tow dry, get water at the campground and dump before we're back on the road so we're never get close to gross carrying. The other thing that is concerning me is if they're putting that much tongue weight out there what load range are the tires? I know about every manufacturer out there uses a smaller load range due to load across the tongue, shouldn't be allowed but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for the space and anticipated replies!

kckime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast since 1978
We have the 269 and our F150 with our "equalizer" hitch handles this unit fine. The load range on the unit's tires is C rated for 9000lbs. and they handle the trailer well. Our F150 has load range C tires that will be replaced next spring to D or even E to ensure they can handle the added weight of this new trailer. Our previous unit was a Shamrock 233 hybrid.

Our truck will be replaced in two years with an F-250 as we like to climb hills as if we had no load. With the exception of steep hills the current truck works great.

2013 Solaire BHDSK 269 Eclipse Edition

.....the big rolling turd II is back in the driveway for another season of travels!

Glendale 290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Thanks Lou, I took the passenger tires off of my F150 and put LT rated tires on, what a difference in the general ride and towing is nicer too with the stiffer side walls. A friend just bought an F150 with the max trailer package and the ecoboost, nice combination. He, like I suspect many of us, drive our TV allot more than we tow with them so the added fuel mileage is nice for the everyday driving. I really wish the manufacturers would put on higher rated tires but I guess that's just me, I like a little more margin of safety.

kckime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
We have the 317BHSK and a new ECOBoost and I also upgraded to LT tires and dumped the passenger tires. I miss the soft ride when driving otherwise but love knowing that we are safer when pulling.

Enjoy your camper and let us know how it goes as there are others considering Solaire makes and there isn't enough feedback yet.
2013 Palomino SolAire 317BHSK w/Eclipse package using a ProPride 3P Hitch
2013 Ford F-150 Ruby Red SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost w/Max Tow, e-lock, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, & Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/Load Lifter
Campers: Me, DW, DD, DS
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote

hitch, weight