Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #21

267 bhdsk purchased last fall. Couple of warranty issues that have been fixed, but nothing major so far. Only got a few trips in before winter arrived, so looking forward to a lot more trips this year.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #22

We have decided against the Solaire... We're going to get a Reflection TT made by Grand Design next year. I've been researching TTs for a long time, and there are just a few that have a bit better quality. Forest River doesn't seem to have anything we'll be satisfied with.

Thanks for all the replies. Best of luck, and see you at the park...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
We have decided against the Solaire... We're going to get a Reflection TT made by Grand Design next year. I've been researching TTs for a long time, and there are just a few that have a bit better quality. Forest River doesn't seem to have anything we'll be satisfied with.

Thanks for all the replies. Best of luck, and see you at the park...

Not trying to bash anyone, have not done any research on quality ratings or anything else, but...........

I stopped and looked a Grand Design on my way to the Sabre dealer and thought the quality was terrible.

Just my 2 cents.
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Not trying to bash anyone, have not done any research on quality ratings or anything else, but...........

I stopped and looked a Grand Design on my way to the Sabre dealer and thought the quality was terrible.

Just my 2 cents.
Can you be more specific on what quality items you are referring to?
mot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot1 View Post
Can you be more specific on what quality items you are referring to?
I've honestly looked at hundreds of campers and I don't necessarily remember exactly what I didn't like about that one. I do remember giving the salesman a hard time about the fact that there was a piece of trim completely missing and two others falling off. There was also a screw through the side of the bench in the dinette which had ripped the cushion. I know that none of these issues are all that big of a deal but I worry about what else I'm going to find out the hard way when they can't even get the little things right.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #26

I've looked at hundreds of TTs, too. I am convinced that I just got lucky with my current unit. It has had it's problems but they have been minor, or caused by me... Having worked on mine extensively, and a friend's even more... ... I can't believe the poor workmanship, that if improved, would improve the quality of the industry by leaps and bounds. The materials used could stand some improvement, too. So far I looked at 5 units made by Palomino. All had problems that I would not trust the dealer's minimum-wage workers to be able to correct. I have only looked at 3 Grand Design trailers, and none had any obvious problem. Further, all the trim was wood, not mdf covered with wood-grain plastic. I have been perusing the Grand Design owners site, and I see none of the ranting about ruined trips that I see here... So... mikeysotp... we'll just have to agree to disagree... respectfully, I hope...
Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I've looked at hundreds of TTs, too. I am convinced that I just got lucky with my current unit. It has had it's problems but they have been minor, or caused by me... Having worked on mine extensively, and a friend's even more... ... I can't believe the poor workmanship, that if improved, would improve the quality of the industry by leaps and bounds. The materials used could stand some improvement, too. So far I looked at 5 units made by Palomino. All had problems that I would not trust the dealer's minimum-wage workers to be able to correct. I have only looked at 3 Grand Design trailers, and none had any obvious problem. Further, all the trim was wood, not mdf covered with wood-grain plastic. I have been perusing the Grand Design owners site, and I see none of the ranting about ruined trips that I see here... So... mikeysotp... we'll just have to agree to disagree... respectfully, I hope...
Honestly I can't even say I disagree with you. I too have heard lots of positive and very little negative about Grand Design. If their layout was more geared to the specific features I wanted I probably would have had them much higher up on my list. Unfortunately the other factor they had against them was the salesman I dealt with clearly didn't know the product and gave off that sleazy used car salesman vibe. For all I know that unit I looked at went to a show and I've seen what people do at those things! Anyway, best of luck to you!!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #28

I know this post has been here for a while. But I just wanted to say that I have a solaire 267bhsk. I took delivery of it August 26th 2014. We just came back from our 3rd trip this year with it. We did have about 25 nights in it last year before we winterized it the last of nov. And I must say we have had a couple minor issues but our dealer was right there everytime and fixed the problems then expanded what he did. I am very pleased with my camper. My dealer has been there for years. And he was telling me no matter what brand it is or who makes it that almost every camper comes back in for a least one time for some kinda warranty work. I know other people may have issues too. But I think they all have a few. Just my opinion but I really love my solaire.
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #29

I appreciate your comment, Daniel. I'm truly glad you have a good unit that you can enjoy. I have been out looking and even though I had decided to stop looking at the Solaire units... I keep coming back for another peek. Ssoooo............ maybe I haven't given up on them completely. My only problem with Grand Design is I'm limited to a travel trailer... and they only have 2 models... neither of which suits my needs perfectly. Another reason is that whatever I buy will probably get used extensively for about 5 years and then sold... So it doesn't have to be perfect, but serviceable. I'm looking hard at Winnebago Ultra Lites, and Jayco Eagles, too. I'll be 65 when I retire and I don't expect to be on the road much past 70 or so... but I may surprise even myself... I just don't want a poor-quality unit to deprive me of any of my retirement travel plans. I have a LOT of fly fishing to get done!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #30

Enjoy your retirement!
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #31

I have a 2013 palomino solaire and have been quite pleased with it. I have had some minor problems and one major one that the dealer was quick to fix all under warranty. The major one was the black material under the slide ripping as it rolled over the metal rollers for slide. Dealer took the unit in and put wear strips mounted to underside of the slide where each roller is. Overall though it has been maintenance free for most part.

Lsutiger
LSUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #32

OK... y'all have convinced me... it's back on the list.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot1 View Post
We purchased a 2015 318tsbhk and it should be here mid February
How do you like it? We just purchased same model.
k_soldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #34

K_soldan.......we waited over 18 weeks for the trailer to arrive. It finally arrived and it was riddled with issues. We wound up purchasing a Grand Design 308BHTS.
mot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #35

We're waiting for Grand Design to come out with more TT floor plans. My short list is Grand Design Reflection, Winnebago Winn Ultra Lite, Gulf Breeze Champaign Series, Jayco Eagle, Solaire Eclipse, and Heritage Glenn... in no particular order. I am leaning toward Winnebago and Gulf Breeze right now. My problem with some of them is I can't seem to find out a lot about their construction and materials, particularly the roof...

mot1... I think you'll be happy with your choice... The Grand Design floor plans just don't fit my needs exactly. That's primarily why we're leaning toward the Winnebago and Gulf Breeze.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #36

As info... I went out looking yesterday, and went through 8 new Solaire trailers. There were a couple that I thought were stellar. Everything looked like it fit and gave me the impression that I was looking at a really well-made unit. One of the other 6 was OK and had just minor problems... that I could see. I would absolutely NOT have bought any of the other 5. So... if I ordered one and it came in "riddled with issues", as mot1 said, would I get my deposit back?

I went to this dealer because they carried 2 brands on my list. Along with the Solaire, they have Gulf Breeze Champagne series. I looked at 3 of them. Honestly I didn't see much difference in quality for the slight difference in price. One was excellent, except thae kitchen slide didn't go all the way out, left a 1" gap on the inside. And, I need a roof ladder. I always sweep off my slide top before retracting it. Gulf Breeze doesn't even offer that and doesn't install the reinforcements to support a ladder... dang it! Their 29BIK is my favorite floor plan, but then I gotta carry a ladder with me... not happening.

So, I haven't eliminated either from my list, but having seen the differences in attention to detail within the same models, ordering one is definitely out. I will learn from mot1 and not wait for a unit when the build quality is such a crap shoot.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #37

Old thread and you may have already purchased a unit. Re ladder, there is a super cool folding ladder that'll fit into a PVC fence post cover (search poop tube holder on this forum to see what I mean). Google go logistics compact ladder to see it. Folds to 3" x 4.5" x 87".
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #38

I wish I ordered the ladder for mine but I didn't. Now going to see if my local dealer will still put one on lol.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #39

He said he would after I ordered my camper. He didn't wont to try and change anything on the order
Old 06-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Old thread and you may have already purchased a unit. Re ladder, there is a super cool folding ladder that'll fit into a PVC fence post cover (search poop tube holder on this forum to see what I mean). Google go logistics compact ladder to see it. Folds to 3" x 4.5" x 87".
We're still looking, and waiting for Grand Design to come up with more floor plans. I went to Clovis, NM yesterday for a former employee, and good friend's retirement. I stopped in Abilene to look at an Evergreen Element trailer. COOL trailer, but expensive and a touch impractical, and no place for a ladder. I had noticed that my left rear tire pressure wasn't as high as the right. While sitting there as I looked this trailer over, it lost another 4 psi... so I sat in a crowded Discount Tire store for 3 hours because of a screw, instead of looking around more and getting back on the road. Oh well... I am currently in the mode of getting some improvements done at home, and about to spend some major bucks on a new well, sprinklers, and landscaping, so I am definitely NOT in a hurry on this. I have just over 16 months to get this figured out and decided...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions... and... safe travels!

Tags
quality