Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Solaire Quality?

I looked at one or two of these this weekend at the Tarrant Co. RV Show in Ft. Worth. They looked pretty good, but as we all know the real quality's in the part you can't really see. So, Solaire owners... How are you liking the unit you have, how much have you used it, and how long have you had it. I am thinking of trading up a notch and would like a bit better trailer than I have.

Thanks in advance for candid replies...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #2

I have zero complaints with mine. I have used it 4 times. It tows nice, sets up easy, and everything works perfect. The workmanship seems to be very good.
rkoll001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
RV Enthusiast since 1978

We have a 2013 269BHDSK Eclipse Model and love it. The build and quality would be the same as the Surveyor you have. Like any purchase the key is a thorough PDI and a dealer that provides great service. Purchase the 2nd year warranty from Forest River directly ($150.00) to cover key components. The only major failure we had were the Lippert Components Chinese made power stabilizer jacks. They are junk and failed during our second year of ownership. We replaced all four with American made "BAL" stabilizer jacks at our expense as Lippert would do nothing (1 year warranty) Other then this we had some fit and finish issues that were corrected at our PDI and pick up of our unit from the dealer back in May of 2013

Lou

.....the big rolling turd II is back in the driveway for another season of travels!

Glendale 290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

We just bought a 2015 model and LOVE IT! Going on our 2nd trip this weekend.
carinrvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Thanks, folks... and keep those cards and letters coming! Seriously, the more info I can get the better.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #6

We have the 307 bunkhouse model. We did about 20 nights our first summer (picked it up in July) and we camped 30 nights last summer, split between long distance and shorter, weekend trips. We had some minor trim issues, which our dealer fixed so well it was better than when we took delivery. We love the layout, the build quality is no worse than anything else out there, and we'd buy another one again, no second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
snskovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

Typical

We have the 307QBDSK 2012 model.

It's been back to the dealership twice. "Ticky-tac" things such as the inner slide seals separating from the wall, drawer falling apart, LED lightstrip in awning not working, oven thermostat, tub surround cracking, etc. You know, "fit and finish" type of things.

Thankfully, no leaks.

We've camped around 30 nights and have pulled it approximately 2000 miles. Compared to our previous camper, a Rockwood Roo (also a Forest River product), I'd say the build quality is the same. Cheap materials to save weight but nice features and livability. I opted for the second year warranty direct through Forest River and I recommend you do also.
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carinrvt1 View Post
We just bought a 2015 model and LOVE IT! Going on our 2nd trip this weekend.
What model did you purchase?
mot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

269BHSK
carinrvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

We purchased a 2015 318tsbhk and it should be here mid February
mot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

We have one season experience in the 201SS. About 25 nights. First TT since 15 years in a PUP so a relative newbie. But very happy with the unit, only minor issues. Didn't need to take it to the dealer (awesome dealer suport by the way) until end of season. Biggest issue was leak on the storage bay hatch during big rains. Minor issues were a fan rattle on the furnace during cool down run and a bolt that sheared on the support frame for the water tank. All other features have worked flawlessly. Buy it and enjoy!
Rudyandfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #12

2013 317 bunkhouse. Been out 8-10 trips each of the two years we have owned it. Forward slide leaked the first year. It was the "flap" gasket torn in the corner. For the first 5-6 trips the doors to the bedroom were on the floor upon arrival at destination. Other than that just minor trim issues here and there. Our camper was the one at the show so it had a lot of foot traffic that I feel led to the door issue. Electric stabilizers work intermittently. Not trying to scare you away because we love the camper. It's the perfect size for us. 2 adults 2 kids and sometimes the dogs. Plus we can tow it with our Yukon XL Denali. It was at the time the best priced camper with that floor plan that we could find in an ultra light. If you can find the non eclipse edition you save yourself the issues with the electric stabilizers. I believe those come with the eclipse package.

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control
PMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

Bought about six months ago, so far so good. Nothing major. Loose molding and drain pipe problem is about it.
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

I have a 267bhsk. I love it!!!! I like snow a lot but I am so ready for warm weather. we got it last week of August of 2014. Its a 2015. We looked at a lot of campers but really fell in love really nice thanks to our local dealer was 3,000 to 4,000 less then most places we seen. We camp every other weekend starting in march
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #15

We have the 269 bhdsk model as well procured about t his time last year. Great rig, no issue with the camper at all with over 5 trips and 30 nights. We pull long distances from MI..Washington DC trip was longest last year.

Already planning on more upstate NY trips this year.

Only issue is the toy lock system didn't pull back the cord....dealership replaced within a week.

I also spent some extra and had the outer treated with a hard shell wash. Great process so far does the job, no black streaking, cleans up with basic was, the coating name slips my memory but can find out if someone is interested. Supposed to last 5 years or so. It's very popular coating on boats that stay in a slip to prevent algae sticking.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
pappagrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappagrif View Post
We have the 269 bhdsk model as well procured about t his time last year. Great rig, no issue with the camper at all with over 5 trips and 30 nights. We pull long distances from MI..Washington DC trip was longest last year.

Already planning on more upstate NY trips this year.

Only issue is the toy lock system didn't pull back the cord....dealership replaced within a week.

I also spent some extra and had the outer treated with a hard shell wash. Great process so far does the job, no black streaking, cleans up with basic was, the coating name slips my memory but can find out if someone is interested. Supposed to last 5 years or so. It's very popular coating on boats that stay in a slip to prevent algae sticking.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Interested in the name of the coating you used/had done. My Solaire is the "mocha" color and is fading mainly on the front cap. It always faces south when stored at my house.

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control
PMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #17

http://maxxgard.net/rvs/rv-paint

This is the website. The RV dealership I went to in Toledo is a certified Maxxgard location.
The process can be don on own but I purchased it before taking delivery.
I will say with the ruff coating in front on the eclipse I was sceptical but I works great. Like a thick coating o rainx.

Sent from Pappagrif
pappagrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #18

We love ours

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 AM   #19
JHH

Purchased 2015 Palomino SolAire 247RKES 16 Jan and arrived home with it 18 Jan. The quality of the unit has been an absolute nightmare. Warranty maintenance was scheduled mid Jan and the unit delivered to an authorized repair facility 4 Feb. It has been there since. As the unit is now it is unusable. Great "couples" floor plan with lots of features, however Caveat Emptor!

Discrepancies that reflect on quality control and pre-delivery inspection:

The wiper seal on the right slide out, rear side, does not make contact(gap) with the upper one third of the slide out. From my observation, it appears the the opening is irregular(not square) and the slide out is not centered in the opening. As it is now the unit is unusable without risking water intrusion. (Slide must be out to access the rear half of the unit).

Left front tire was intermittently (during chassis spring flex) rubbing a bolt head protruding down from the slide out. Tire rub was readily noticeable and appeared to have been making contact since the unit left the factory. Left tires were at 45psi when I arrived home. I must question if the tire was serviced since it was at a low pressure and noticeably rubbing.

When city water was connected, water started dripping from the underbelly where the black water drain comes through the bottom cover. The repair facility opened the underbelly and found a loose fitting inside.

When the stove oven was lit and turned on, it would reach the set temperature and then shut off completely. (pilot light and burner)

Right support arm for the storage chest under the bed had the screws pulled out of the wooden lid and was laying in the bottom of the chest. When this arm was attached to the lid at the factory, it was install so far to the right that the lid would not close without interference. Rather than correct the discrepancy, the lid was forced closed therefore ripping the screws from the wood. So simple to correct but ignored.

The platter in the microwave oven sits upon a rotating spindle drive that is approximately one inch taller than the circular ring the outside circumference the platter is supposed to rest and rotate on. So the platter just balances on top of the one inch tall drive spindle and wobbles around. Incorrect platter, it should have an opening for the spindle.

First time I sat in the folding dining chair the forward seat support busted out on both sides. Not something that would be noticed on an inspection but it does reflect quality.
I weigh 200 lbs.
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #20

Yikes, sorry to hear that.
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality