Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

Some questions about the Columbus fifth wheels

I'm looking to get a Columbus this fall and have a couple questions that maybe some of you could answer? You guys know a lot more about these than I do!

1. Is there any way to add on a second year warranty like you can with Rockwood trailers? I currently have a Rockwood 2906WS and am looking to move up to a fifth wheel which led me to Columbus. I've had a great experience with Forest River while owning the Rockwood and liked that they let me add a 2nd year to the warranty for $200. Can we do that with Columbus?

2. I see that these come with 10 gallon water heaters as opposed to the 12 gallons that you get in some other fifth wheels. Coming from a 6 in our TT, 10 seems like a ton so I think this will be plenty. But are they a nice brand? If we stepped down from a 12 to a 10, did we end up with a worse brand or quality level as well?

3. What brand of TV are in the new ones? Are they pretty nice? Viewing angles? I'm surprised at how nice the furrion tvs are considering they are light as a feather. I'm wondering if the Columbus tvs are at least this nice?

4. If you get the washer and drier option from the factory, what brand/model do they install? Do people have any experience with them?

5. A bike rack is an option on the back of the fifth wheel. Does anyone have a brand/model of what is installed when you take that option? Any photos maybe?

Thanks so much!! Any help is definitely appreciated!
strider_gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You questions are a bit hard to answer. Columbus comes with a 2 year Columbus Care warranty.
As for the water heater, it came with 10, not 8 like many others, you can also order the tankless water heater. As for the TV's, mine came with Hisense.te washer dryer are Splendide Artison's. The bick rack is not really a brand it is just what they come with, mine is kind of useless for bikes without modifying it. I am working on purchasing a new Columbus to replace the one I have. We love ours.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1502829552511.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	148312

Here is the bike rack on one
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Thank you for the posts and photo!

I guess what I'm basically doing is going through the order form checklist and have found that you guys probably know more than most dealers, for better or worse.

So I do see that you can get a tankless water heater. As much as I LOVE them, I've heard that they can be bad in RVs because they need a certain level of water pressure to be useful, otherwise you just get a steady stream of luke-warm water. Does anyone know what brand/model the tankless option is? As far as the 10 gallon option goes, I know that there is variation in quality among the different manufacturers, however few they may be.

As far as the Splendide option goes for washer and driers, that's almost what I was hoping for because I've read nothing but good things about them. They seem like kind of the default option for higher end/mid range rvs.

As for the bike rack, when you order these you basically decide between having a end rear cap or having the bike rack, you can't choose both. You only get one or the other. I'd rather have a GOOD bike rack than an end cap, but I'd rather have an end cap than a useless bike rack. I know that the bike rack on my Rockwood is basically completely useless. Thank you for the photo of the bike rack! Hopefully I can track some more info down on it.

I'm thrilled that you love yours! I'm probably going to get a 377MB or 377MBC.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #5

So this is probably the bike rack?

Maybe I'm a moron but I can't see how you would ever use that for a couple adult and kid bikes.

I can see using it as a platform for maybe carrying other cargo though.

Boy that end cap is more and more tempting though just from a pure aesthetics perspective though.

Here's the end cap.

I wonder how much weight that rear bumper can hold. Even if you could put 100lbs on it you could put a couple bikes on a bumper mounted bike rack which would be huge. I don't think Palamino would love that idea but if you went extremely light maybe you would be fine.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Have you looked at Cedar Creek. It is a big step difference with the full rear cap, and more amenities.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Have you looked at Cedar Creek. It is a big step difference with the full rear cap, and more amenities.
Yea unfortunately they don't have a mid bunk option or anything that could house a family unfortunately. I've found that a lot of higher-end fifth wheels having caught on to the surge in young family's buying rvs yet.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #8

We have the bike rack on the back of our Columbus. When folded down, there is an up-right piece that fits into a hole on the outer (back) end of the platform to hold the bikes upright. We took two adult bikes to Arizona from St. Louis last winter. the platform is also good for hauling other things: Plastic totes full of "stuff", chairs, an E-Z-Up shelter, etc. The bike rack/platform is rated to 300 or 350 lbs., if I remember correctly. It is mounted on the frame rails, not on the rear bumper.

Although I love the look of the molded rear cap, we opted for the bike rack on our 2017 320 RSC. And yes, we love our Columbus and would buy it again.

BTW, the 10 gallon water heater provides plenty of hot water for showers, especially if you use a water-conserving shower head like an Oxygenitic brand. the 10-gallon heater is a Suburban.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #9

I have a similar rack on my Sabre and it is rated for 3or 400lbs. I get 4 bikes on it without any problems and I love having it. When I don't bring bikes I can carry a generator or coolers without issues.
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #10

Ahh, so the water heater is probably the SW10DE from Suburban. It has great reviews online and I have the 6 gallon version now and haven't had any problems with it. Going from a 6 gallon to a 10 gallon would be a world of difference for my family.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #11

Boy I'm just torn on that bike rack. I agree with you guys that it would probably be just as useful for carrying other things just as much as it would be for carrying bike, or maybe even more so. I guess I need to see it in person.

300 to 400 pounds is a pretty decent sized amount of cargo. I guess it also makes you 2-3 feet longer if that's ever a concern.

The rear cap is the more expensive option. It costs about $400 more than choosing the bike rack.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

Cedar creek does make a mid bunk option but only bed in the mid room. Unlike some that have two. And even sabre has a mid bunk with three beds. None of these including the loft area
hillyer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #13

The bike rack on my 2017 is a Lippert Components (LCI).
Old 08-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #14

My bike rack got damaged by the PO before they traded it in. The dealer removed it and didn't replace it. I wish I could locate a replacement, but all in all, I am not sure I would even use it as intended as I 3/4 time in mine while I am away at my work location. We got a great deal on ours, gently used, and have really enjoyed its features. We have the 10 gal hot water heater with the dual heater, gas and electric. With two of us using shower one after the other, we only need a 10 minute space between showers. When I am in there solo, I never run out of hot water. The dual heat use gives you options when you are not attached to a 30/50amp connection (boon-docking, wally mart, etc)
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #15

We have the bike rack on our Columbus and have never used it. Would have much rather had the rear cap but my husband's must have item was the outside kitchen so we have the one we have. Just put it up for sale...it's been a very good unit. We want to upgrade to a Riverstone... I get to pick this time :-D
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #16

I had the same rack on my sabre.
Worked great!
Two adult and two kids bikes.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #17

We use our bike rack every time we travel. If not for bikes then for totes etc. Glad we have it.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyer05 View Post
Cedar creek does make a mid bunk option but only bed in the mid room. Unlike some that have two. And even sabre has a mid bunk with three beds. None of these including the loft area
I thought I had seen every mid bunk there was out there but I did miss these two. The Cedar Creek option looks pretty nice.

We are trying to get one as nice as we can without going over a 100k budget. We will be living in here about 6 months out of the year so don't mind spending a little more than you would normally spend on a "camper".

I think we've narrowed it down to Columbus, Montana and Jayco's Pinnacle. We still need to see a Pinnacle in person. If there is anything nicer than those 3 I would love to hear it though.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
We have the 10 gal hot water heater with the dual heater, gas and electric. With two of us using shower one after the other, we only need a 10 minute space between showers. When I am in there solo, I never run out of hot water.

That's great to know! We spend another week with our 6 gallon water heater and are looking forward to owning a 10 gallon version
Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
We use our bike rack every time we travel. If not for bikes then for totes etc. Glad we have it.
Yea I almost think we would use it more for tote storage than bike storage the more we think about it. For that reason it's awfully tempting!

Those rear caps look so nice though!

Tags
columbus, fifth wheel, wheel