Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #41

LT

Go with LT tires. I have been in an RV since the early 90's and have had my share of tire issues. In 2007 after 6 blowouts from ST tires, I switched to LT. Today 3 campers later, I am still running LT tires and have had great success, knock on wood, not a single tire issue since I switched. I have been running BF Goodrich Commercial TA's on them and I am extremely happy. I currently have a 38 ft Columbus @ 14,000 pounds and there great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	605.3 KB
ID:	119144  
Kstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #42

If you have had the tire problems that we have experienced you would change too. Problem is the campers are too big and heavy for the tires that the factory installs. Out of 7 campers, 12 blowouts and numerous damages to my campers. Thats why I run LT's. They are twice the tire of an ST and surely give you piece of mind when running them VS the will pop ST's.
Kstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Good thread!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #44

2013 trailer 3 sets of tire in 3 years. Two deformed and 1 blow out . I will be looking for a LT tire to try. Last set was Kumho 857 130.00 at tire and 8 ply. Best tire I could find , One deformed and one blew out.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I really do not think you can just say that even though you just did, I know of many members that will swear that there Maxxis 8008 ST is probably the best ST tire on the Market
I know for a fact that Youroo has ran his old Maxxis for 5 years without even a flat, he or lyrics bought new ones be caused they aged out
Just love you guys that think the only good tire is an LT. That's pretty closed minded. If you like your LT that is great and I'm glad you have them me I will stay with ST, and Maxxis.
I'm staying with ST and Carlisle as Maxxis availability around here sux.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #46

Can't find an LT tire in 225/75 R15, I found a Gaurdsman but it could only handle 1700 lbs so not a true LT.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstedman View Post
Go with LT tires. I have been in an RV since the early 90's and have had my share of tire issues. In 2007 after 6 blowouts from ST tires, I switched to LT. Today 3 campers later, I am still running LT tires and have had great success, knock on wood, not a single tire issue since I switched. I have been running BF Goodrich Commercial TA's on them and I am extremely happy. I currently have a 38 ft Columbus @ 14,000 pounds and there great.
FAQ | Tire Replacement | BFGoodrich Tires
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
FR is not the only RV trailer manufacturer that has problems getting the correct information on their trailer’s certification labels.

I watch the recalls and how they are handled. And Tireman9 probably does to, because he mentioned the most common remedy for incorrect GAWR values on the certification label is to deduct what is needed from the cargo label to make it right. Then all they have to do is issue new certification & cargo labels.

Here is a NHTSA quote I often post about cargo. It’s from a NHTSA PDF.

“The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.”
Thanks for the quote. So according to NHTSA if consumer bases their purchase decision on the various certification labels, the consumer is wrong to expect the RV to be able to actually carry the calculated capacity? What is a consumer suppose to do when making a purchase decision if not rely on the Federally Regulated and required cert labels?

Suppose an RV was delivered with labels indicating GVWR of 10,000# and GAWR of 4275#. Empty weight (not required on cert label) was 8000 leaving 2000# load capacity.
This puts 14.5% of TT weight on the ball. It is recommended that hitch weight be 10 to 15% of the trailer weight.
So then it is discovered the RV company actually used 3,000# axles and tires. So the NHTSA recall is covered simply with new stickers showing GAWR of 3,000 and of course the much reduced GVWR of maybe 8000 to 8,400# with a new load capacity of 0 to 400#.

Explain how the owner should respond? Will NHTSA say it was the buyer who made it incorrect assumption that the certification labels were correct and simply didn't do proper shopping?

Sorry I don't buy the "Fix" as appropriate if the error is much more than 100# especially if a buyer compares the certification lable number on similar RVs from a variety of different companies or maybe even from the same company.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstedman View Post
I have been towing RVs ~~ TTs mostly, 5ers most recently, and a Class A for a few years since 1974 ~~ 42 years. I have many different problems but never a blow out or even a flat. Always ST tires. At age 68 I've slowed and only pull about 7500 miles annually now.

Hope I did not jinx myself now.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #50
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
Can't find an LT tire in 225/75 R15, I found a Gaurdsman but it could only handle 1700 lbs so not a true LT.

If your tires are ST225/75R15 you will not find an LT 225/75R15 that will support the same load unless you go up at least two Load Range and maybe not even then.

Many times the switch from ST to LT requires an increase in size and probably also an increase in Load Range. Wwhich and how much you have to change will depend on your starting point.

Sorry but no simple single answer as it depends on your measured loading too.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If your tires are ST225/75R15 you will not find an LT 225/75R15 that will support the same load unless you go up at least two Load Range and maybe not even then.

Many times the switch from ST to LT requires an increase in size and probably also an increase in Load Range. Wwhich and how much you have to change will depend on your starting point.

Sorry but no simple single answer as it depends on your measured loading too.

I scoped around a little today...you can buy 16 or 17.5 rims on 6x5.5

Tire OD...that's a new problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #52

If you have any doubts about LT tires, go to Camping World and look at the higher end fifth wheels and larger toy haulers. Keystone started putting LT's on those on the 2016 models.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
jw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Thanks for the quote. So according to NHTSA if consumer bases their purchase decision on the various certification labels, the consumer is wrong to expect the RV to be able to actually carry the calculated capacity? What is a consumer suppose to do when making a purchase decision if not rely on the Federally Regulated and required cert labels?

Suppose an RV was delivered with labels indicating GVWR of 10,000# and GAWR of 4275#. Empty weight (not required on cert label) was 8000 leaving 2000# load capacity.
This puts 14.5% of TT weight on the ball. It is recommended that hitch weight be 10 to 15% of the trailer weight.
So then it is discovered the RV company actually used 3,000# axles and tires. So the NHTSA recall is covered simply with new stickers showing GAWR of 3,000 and of course the much reduced GVWR of maybe 8000 to 8,400# with a new load capacity of 0 to 400#.

Explain how the owner should respond? Will NHTSA say it was the buyer who made it incorrect assumption that the certification labels were correct and simply didn't do proper shopping?

Sorry I don't buy the "Fix" as appropriate if the error is much more than 100# especially if a buyer compares the certification lable number on similar RVs from a variety of different companies or maybe even from the same company.
The trailer manufacturer is not going to change an existing GVWR, that's a vehicle modification. However, reducing the load capacity is basically a pen & ink process. So is reducing the total GAWR down to a new value to coincide with the new cargo capacity and allow the OE tires to provide the load capacity to support the axles. Those steps are authorized by the FMVSS building regulations. Another pen and ink process would be to leave all the specs as they are. IMO FR will not do that because it would require them to recall all of the to small tires and replace them with some that fit the axles load capacities.

When you read the procedures used to make pen & ink changes on the cargo capacity labeling nothing in the trailer's specs changes except it's available cargo load. When FR submits it's remedy for the situation we are writing about here it's most likely going to reduce the cargo capacity and each GAWR to a value that will allow the OE tires to stay on the vehicle. My guess is the GAWRs (2) will be reduced to 6750# ea. The loss of 500# of load capacity is not going to make any of the current owners happy.

All of the cargo instructions were rewritten in the 2007 rules package and are in the current FMVSS 571.110 & 571.120 standards.

On Edit: Here is a reference containing the rational used to gather the information necessary for the committee to make it's final ruling. Although good reading that provides a lot of insight into the process of change, the reader must understand that only the information in the actual final ruling at the end of this document is used to change the documents effected by the ruling.

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...rying-capacity
Old 09-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Maybe we are looking at the wrong Federal agency. If NHTSA is only interested in having the specs line up on stickers and to heck with the owner than maybe the Federal Trade Committee is the one to get with.
While new tire placard stickers may satisfy NHTSA, advertising features of a product sole interstate when the feature is not correct would seem to violate some Interstate Commerce or FTC law.
I liken this load capacity to the horsepower claim that isn't correct where Ford did a recall of 6,300 Mustangs and replace the intake manifold and both mufflers. All at no cost to the owner. GM misstated the fuel economy on some cars and is cutting a check for owners. This is not something NHTSA would be involved with as it isn't a safety issue but there must have been some legal consequences to get GM to compensate owners. Maybe the threat of class action lawsuit which would be easier when the "class" is defined by NHTSA as any TT with the wrong information that misleads the buyer into thinking they had x pounds of cargo capacity when in fact it was significantly less.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #55
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Maybe we are looking at the wrong Federal agency. If NHTSA is only interested in having the specs line up on stickers and to heck with the owner than maybe the Federal Trade Committee is the one to get with.
While new tire placard stickers may satisfy NHTSA, advertising features of a product sole interstate when the feature is not correct would seem to violate some Interstate Commerce or FTC law.
I liken this load capacity to the horsepower claim that isn't correct where Ford did a recall of 6,300 Mustangs and replace the intake manifold and both mufflers. All at no cost to the owner. GM misstated the fuel economy on some cars and is cutting a check for owners. This is not something NHTSA would be involved with as it isn't a safety issue but there must have been some legal consequences to get GM to compensate owners. Maybe the threat of class action lawsuit which would be easier when the "class" is defined by NHTSA as any TT with the wrong information that misleads the buyer into thinking they had x pounds of cargo capacity when in fact it was significantly less.
False Advertising
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:41 PM   #56

What we have been told in this thread about a trailer with dual 7000# GAWR axles and undersized tires with load capacities of 3420# is information enough to request a manufacturer’s recall to remedy the unsafe condition.

Because there is a huge amount of reference material to research to come to any valid conclusion it would behoove the persons with the most interest in the subject to go and read the NHTSA recall basics publications. It’s information you need to know from the horses’ mouth - so to speak.

Here is a document that will tell you all about manufacturer recalls and give you hot-line numbers to call for questions not answered or understood.

Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Tags
tire, tires