Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Stay away from the Columbus Compass and Camping World

My DW and I purchased a 2018 Columbus Compass 320RSC back in February of this year. The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) was not properly done and since we picked it up from day one the water pump didn't work. We took it back to Camping World (CW) where we inspected it and they had to gut the whole underbelly of the 5er because it was discovered that the suction hose of the pump wasn't installed right because it was kinked and pinched when they installed it at the Manufacturer. CW had it for 6 weeks which we picked it up just 2 weeks ago after repair. Today, I was installing a Cell Phone Booster which I had to crawl underneath to run the cable. What I found wasn't pretty. CW didn't install the underbelly that it is so wavy and pulled in ways that there are pockets all over which seems as if the insulation was pushed out of the way but not pulled back where its supposed to be. The holes they cut the tape is already falling off or they didn't put enough on causing gaps. I know if this insulation gets wet it will get so heavy it will drop out/off due to the weight. The propane hose they reinstalled which was removed for access was installed in such a way its ripping the clamp screws out of the chassis. I could go on with a few other minor things. All I can say is stay away from CW on Orlando Ave in Rocklin, CA. They don't return your calls as promised, they never answer their phone in service, and the atmosphere is as if they don't care. We were actually told by one of the employees that they are so understaffed they don't have the time to provide adequate Customer Service or proper repairs. What a shame. I won't bu another thing from them or support them in any way.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rocker View Post
We were actually told by one of the employees that they are so understaffed they don't have the time to provide adequate Customer Service or proper repairs. What a shame. I won't bu another thing from them or support them in any way.

"Under staffed" usually means the manage isn't willing to pay the going rate for qualified techs and the ones they can get to work for them don't have the skills to produce work in a timely manner (or proper quality).

I hate "Big Box Stores" for this very reason and CW is just another Big Box not unlike Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Managers compensation is often tied up in his annual bonus and that is determined by how well he remains under budget for the year. That often means not staffing the store with qualified help as "Labor" is one of the largest controllable expenses.

My experience has been that a well qualified, well compensated, technician can usually diagnose and repair a problem in less time than the ones that are learning on the job. Too many of them have no diagnostic skills and their workmanship is atrocious.

Car dealerships do a lot better as their "Factory" keeps a close watch on all levels of service. I get a questionaire asking to rate my last visit to my car dealer(s) even if all I got was an oil change. Have yet to hear from my RV dealer to see how well they did on my trailer I purchased last year. Not even from Forest River. Guess that shows how much they both care.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

The water pump line can be goofed up on any RV and be easily fixed by competent Techs. Your real problem was buying and getting service from CW. Their nationwide reputation is just about horrible with a few (very few) notable exceptions on shops that have good people. Generally speaking stay away from CW, the Columbus could have easily been fixed right the first time by a good independant shop.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

Amen. Have a 5er that we bought from them Columbus Compass 383FBC (which is a great unit). We don't have a truck to pull it (in a permanent site) and I can't get the 2nd Black Tank handle to pull (doesn't seem to be draining when I open it). After promising to come out to do repairs as part of the sale (one year ago), they now tell me they do not have insurance to cover off-site work. This place sucks (Richmond, Indiana) and anyone that goes to them is asking for trouble.
jritchie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Call this lady for an immediate response

Susan
CW Corporate
1-224-993-3777
marcus@campingworld.com
Old 12-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rocker View Post
My DW and I purchased a 2018 Columbus Compass 320RSC back in February of this year. The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) was not properly done and since we picked it up from day one the water pump didn't work. We took it back to Camping World (CW) where we inspected it and they had to gut the whole underbelly of the 5er because it was discovered that the suction hose of the pump wasn't installed right because it was kinked and pinched when they installed it at the Manufacturer. CW had it for 6 weeks which we picked it up just 2 weeks ago after repair. Today, I was installing a Cell Phone Booster which I had to crawl underneath to run the cable. What I found wasn't pretty. CW didn't install the underbelly that it is so wavy and pulled in ways that there are pockets all over which seems as if the insulation was pushed out of the way but not pulled back where its supposed to be. The holes they cut the tape is already falling off or they didn't put enough on causing gaps. I know if this insulation gets wet it will get so heavy it will drop out/off due to the weight. The propane hose they reinstalled which was removed for access was installed in such a way its ripping the clamp screws out of the chassis. I could go on with a few other minor things. All I can say is stay away from CW on Orlando Ave in Rocklin, CA. They don't return your calls as promised, they never answer their phone in service, and the atmosphere is as if they don't care. We were actually told by one of the employees that they are so understaffed they don't have the time to provide adequate Customer Service or proper repairs. What a shame. I won't bu another thing from them or support them in any way.
The CW in Vacaville Ca is worse; service department will occasionally answer the phone, put you on hold, 5 minutes later they pick up and say "service " no " Thank you for holding "
or "How may I help you?" - then say you'll have to bring it in and we're booked for the next 4 weeks.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, columbus